Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Van-style 7 seaters

• 06-11-2019 11:45am

Hi. We're having a 4th child so we need to upgrade to a 7 seater. I'm wondering what people think about getting a van/taxi style 7 seater like a VW Caddy, Citroen Berlingo, or Peugeot Rifter? I know they're not stylish (at all!) but I'm more concerned about space, price and reliability. It seems like you can get a lot more for your money going that route. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭SCOL

I bought a 7 seater land rover 3 years ago the wife was expecting twins, plenty of room for all 4 kids and a buggy because I don't like the big people carriers and only €333 tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

SCOL wrote: »
    I bought a 7 seater land rover 3 years ago the wife was expecting twins, plenty of room for all 4 kids and a buggy because I don't like the big people carriers and only €333 tax.
    How did you manage to get commercial tax on a seven seater? I thought that was only possible on five seaters and even that is getting more difficult.
    Hi. We're having a 4th child so we need to upgrade to a 7 seater. I'm wondering what people think about getting a van/taxi style 7 seater like a VW Caddy, Citroen Berlingo, or Peugeot Rifter? I know they're not stylish (at all!) but I'm more concerned about space, price and reliability. It seems like you can get a lot more for your money going that route. Thoughts?
    I can't help you too much here but I do have a Caddy Maxi which is the van the Caddy life is based on and it's a lovely van to drive. Nearly as comfortable as a saloon car.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm not sure a VW Caddy sized vehicle would be big enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Age of the kids might be a of some help. Are they regularly all in it at the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

I'm not sure a VW Caddy sized vehicle would be big enough.

Our childminder had one and she had 4 kids and was able to transport our two as well. They have a lot of room, i think it was based on the LWB caddy, but very 'van-like' to drive i believe ('cause its a van).

Another friend has a Seah Alhambra which seems more 'car-like' inside, actually its quite nice.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the responses so far. The 3 older kids are aged between 5 and 8, plus we'll have the baby. The 8 year old is tall and she already finds the back row on most smaller MPVs uncomfortable, so I'm thinking that in a couple of years none of the older 3 will want to be back there. That's what led us to consider the more taxi-style options. We're a one-car family, so even though we don't do a lot of driving where we're all in the car it'd be nice to be able to fit everybody for those times when we're driving to see family etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I personally don't need this type of car/van...but I think they are the perfect one-car-only yoke for a bigger family

The rear seats (pictured is a Opel Combo, but Peugeot or Citroen are the same) are all full size seats at the same height, no compromises

0_JS171330976.jpg

so that's the seating needs covered for years to come, even as the kids grow.

Then there is all the other stuff you can do with these things...they are a van after all

peugeot-rifter-1802styp025.433438.19.jpg

and don't forget about the convenience and ease of use of the sliding side doors

Ugly they may be...but soooo practical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Why not just buy an SMAX?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I LOVE the Rifter/New Berlingo. I don't own one but I have tested drive it checked them a good bit and really like them. It hits the right boxes when it comes to space, price and reliability.

Their engines seem to be efficient enough, but they are still big/heavy cars (specially if you go the Long/7 seater route) so their petrol version does eat a good bit. They have good diesel options too which were positively reviewed.

Rifter/New Berlingos are new for 2019 so there are now a few demo/second hand now available on Carzone.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why not just buy an SMAX?

That's what I'm trying to figure out :) but it seems like an SMax is more expensive and has less space, especially in the 3rd row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Alhambra is the way forward here, much better and comfier than the van conversions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

You wouldn’t go far wrong with the Rifter or its siblings. Great space, drives well and it’s handily cheaper than other options.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Alhambra is the way forward here, much better and comfier than the van conversions

In what way do you prefer it to the van-types? Is it the spec or the way it drives or something else? I'm really not a car person so trying to figure out what the pros and cons of each type are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

In what way do you prefer it to the van-types? Is it the spec or the way it drives or something else? I'm really not a car person so trying to figure out what the pros and cons of each type are.
    Vans are not comfortable, rattly, not great spec etc
    The alhambra (and others eg S max etc) are just bigger cars and are comfy like cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

Also an Alhambra fan having bought a 151 reg in May this year. Fine car, very roomy & versatile in terms of the options/combinations of seats up/down etc.

The sliding doors are a great addition particularly when managing small kids, although you do seem to possibly get more for your money with other non-slidiing-doors 7-seaters.

With all seats in use there is still decent boot space, as good as you will get I think out of all the 7-seater options. Drives like a car and seems to be fairly economical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The Caddy Life is the stretch version with seats, they're quite nice to drive, probably the least van like of that segment, not a patch on proper people carriers though.

Advertisement