Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manager trying to move me to another position after accepting another job

Options
  • 06-11-2019 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I accepted another Job within my company (contracted in by other companies), it was a great position, a lot more money and a few more hours, interview went really well too.
    All was going well, I was starting the new position on the 18th until yesterday when my manager texted me saying "FYI that position is relief cover only, theres another job I want you to go to". (This was 100% a full time position at the interview.)
    I know a guy who works in this other job so I texted him to ask what the story was, he said three people if after leaving within two weeks so he's pretty desperate for staff and is at risk of losing the contract.
    Do I have any employment rights in this situation?
    I have already left my old job and now I dont know what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Contact the hiring manager for the position you were moving to and that way you will know what the exact story is.
    Typically you’d only be allowed interview if your current manager was good with the move to avoid wasting resources but who knows.

Any number of things could have happened, you will only know by asking.

As for rights, if the position has changed and if your being offered comparable alternative work and conditions you’d be hard pressed to make an issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I accepted another Job within my company (contracted in by other companies), it was a great position, a lot more money and a few more hours, interview went really well too.
    All was going well, I was starting the new position on the 18th until yesterday when my manager texted me saying "FYI that position is relief cover only, theres another job I want you to go to". (This was 100% a full time position at the interview.)
    I know a guy who works in this other job so I texted him to ask what the story was, he said three people if after leaving within two weeks so he's pretty desperate for staff and is at risk of losing the contract.
    Do I have any employment rights in this situation?
    I have already left my old job and now I dont know what to do.

It's possible they may have already lost the contract or have decided to pull out and so the job has become relief cover only and why they are being offered something else... we can only speculate....

Best to play it by ear, talk to your manager and see what the alternative position is. If the contract on the other job is gone, then the alternative may be redundancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Look at your contract: does it say you are tied to a specific location / roster? Or does it just say you are a XYZ for ABC Ltd and your work location and hours will vary.

You need to be very clear about the difference between full-time (ie 30+ hours per week) and permanent: just because someone offers you a full-time job doesn't mean it's permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Rather than ‘hours’ it’s the ‘another position’ that’s the absolutely bullshît part....

You went to the trouble of getting ready and preparing for a job interview for a specific X position in a company not for ANY position in the company.

What would worry me and anger me in equal measure is that this crucial change didn’t come via a sit down meeting with an explanation and opportunity to ask questions, it didn’t even happen via a phone call, a txt !

I know it’s easy to say looking in but there are red flags a plenty here, I’d be ‘exploring’ the idea of moving on, elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Strumms wrote: »
    Rather than ‘hours’ it’s the ‘another position’ that’s the absolutely bullshît part....

You went to the trouble of getting ready and preparing for a job interview for a specific X position in a company not for ANY position in the company.

I would guess this is the security industry and its exactly the same function to be carried out I the other location. Same position, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 LyonsForLife

Appreciate the inputs folks.
    I've just spoke with the supervisor from the new job I had the interview with.
    He says that the full time role had been pushed back until January as they had a problem with the lease for a new floor the are planning on taking over and that he will be in touch
    Do you think I'd be changing my arm if I asked my manager i'll do this new position that he offered until this other role becomes available in January ?

The position I interviewed for was a Monday to Friday position 45hr.
    The job my manager offered me was a 4x12hr a week including weekends for less money.
    Also, I have not signed a contract with this company yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Appreciate the inputs folks.
    I've just spoke with the supervisor from the new job I had the interview with.
    He says that the full time role had been pushed back until January as they had a problem with the lease for a new floor the are planning on taking over and that he will be in touch
    Do you think I'd be changing my arm if I asked my manager i'll do this new position that he offered until this other role becomes available in January ?

The position I interviewed for was a Monday to Friday position 45hr.
    The job my manager offered me was a 4x12hr a week including weekends for less money.
    Also, I have not signed a contract with this company yet.

No harm asking. Nicely

Advertisement