Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭jrochie

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    I live near you and thought you're particular area was covered .. obviously not .

I know mobile operators are not much of an option where you are and Imagine are the same (due to the topology of the area) -- have you tried Ivertec BB ? They might be an option as their Mast site is in a different location than that of Imagine i believe

Might try Ivertec alright, not sure where their mast but worth a look.

Really looked like we would be covered when they started rolling out but unfortunately they gave up the ghost on us, so close you could nearly touch!

Imagine would be much better served if they did more of a check on locations before they started advertising, lots of signs up around the area but they are all in blackspots where you can't actually pick up their service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

jrochie wrote: »
    Might try Ivertec alright, not sure where their mast but worth a look.

Really looked like we would be covered when they started rolling out but unfortunately they gave up the ghost on us, so close you could nearly touch!

Imagine would be much better served if they did more of a check on locations before they started advertising, lots of signs up around the area but they are all in blackspots where you can't actually pick up their service!

I think the Ivertec mast is over towards Glenbeigh direction... but give them a shout and I’ll sure they will let you know either way ...

Imagine have gone over board on the advertising in the area even in my area where we have had FTTH for nearly 2 years..

Hopefully Ivertec have some good news for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

cnocbui wrote: »
    If you are on WiFi, you could be being limited by the router bandwidth as in you might be connected via a 2.4Ghz frequency AP. If you can, select a 5Ghz frequency access point and try again.

Even with hardwired, you need to check that the ethernet card and cable are fast enough.

So I logged in to the router settings and all devices are on 2.4ghz, I somehow managed to get my phone onto 5ghz and got 140mb download speed. Can I simply knock off the 2.4 GHz option on the router and then everything will be forced to run through 5ghz.

Apologies if this is a stupid question but I haven't had much cause to mess around with router settings in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

stuchyg wrote: »
    So I logged in to the router settings and all devices are on 2.4ghz, I somehow managed to get my phone onto 5ghz and got 140mb download speed. Can I simply knock off the 2.4 GHz option on the router and then everything will be forced to run through 5ghz.

Apologies if this is a stupid question but I haven't had much cause to mess around with router settings in the past

I wouldn't turn off 2.4GHZ unless every device you have is 5GHZ capable.

Plus 2.4 is much better at distance etc, going through walls so if you're futher away from the router.

A lot of smart devices are unable to use 5ghz also. So I'd be careful in disabling it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 pocpaul

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice please regarding Eir and getting a broadband line down.

I recently had a Sky engineer round to put the lines in so we could get broadband. He reported back there was no line down in our part of the estate - we have a new home in an existing estate that does have access to fiber.

My neighbors just next door have broadband and I am showing on Open Eir's rollout map as being in a green area not far from a fiber cabinet.

My builder advised that he is still waiting for an update in terms of when this will be complete. The Sky engineer reported back to me that he was told it would be 'in the future'.

I've been onto Eir & Open Eir and no one can seem to tell me when this is due to be completed. Just to add I called Eir this morning and explained all to the customer service agent and she said no worries give me a minute while I pop you on hold. I was on hold for an hour 10mins and a new guy came on and asked what I was looking for, literally had no notes on why I was waiting... He asked for my Eircode which I gave but as they don't have it showing on their system it's as if it doesn't exist so all for noting.

We have been in the house now since last year and would be so appreciate for any update but don't seem to be getting anywhere going direct to Eir customer support. Any advice would be great. Open Eir said I shouldnt have called them at all and Sky seem to have no other update other than 'in the future'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Eir would have nothing to do with it if your going with sky.
    Sky would have to chase with open eir.
    They're not likely to get any answers other than soon until the line goes live.
    What does the airwire checker say.
    Is your new build a part of a newer row of builds in a new housing estate.

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    I think the Ivertec mast is over towards Glenbeigh direction... but give them a shout and I’ll sure they will let you know either way ...

Imagine have gone over board on the advertising in the area even in my area where we have had FTTH for nearly 2 years..

Hopefully Ivertec have some good news for you

It gets even better for us. Letters in the door from Vodafone to a few houses today, ADSL is through Vodafone, stating they are upgrading their services to fibre in our area and will be shutting down their dsl service in 4 weeks. Option is to switch to fibre or we will loss our service completely.

Not sure if Eir or Sky will still offer the service, guess I’ve a few calls to make!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

Is the map at https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ up-to-date?

I looked at that and my house is shown in a fibre coverage area (green) but when I use the Checker page using my landline number and eircode I get "Broadband with speed up to 15Mb/s is available at your address". Eir have been busy around here for a number of weeks, popping into and out of manholes.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

leck wrote: »

I find the DCCAE map easier to use and more useful in most regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

leck wrote: »

I looked at that and my house is shown in a fibre coverage area (green) but when I use the Checker page using my landline number and eircode I get "Broadband with speed up to 15Mb/s is available at your address". Eir have been busy around here for a number of weeks, popping into and out of manholes.

I had the same issue. I rang eir and whoever I spoke to checked the line speed on their end and could see I was able to get fibre and organised the engineering survey etc. Ring your provider and query it with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

jrochie wrote: »
    It gets even better for us. Letters in the door from Vodafone to a few houses today, ADSL is through Vodafone, stating they are upgrading their services to fibre in our area and will be shutting down their dsl service in 4 weeks. Option is to switch to fibre or we will loss our service completely.

Not sure if Eir or Sky will still offer the service, guess I’ve a few calls to make!
    Why would you want to stay on adsl if fibre is available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

shanec1928 wrote: »

It's cheaper?

There is only one DP between me and the DP at the end of the line on my road. No one up the road from me has availed of a connection. I have been meaning to do a survey down the road too as it's possible I am the only one to have a fibre connection. I can understand the farms not connecting, but there are three residential houses and one of them is/was a University lecturer, who I would have thought would be connected, though he is past the terminal DP and might be slightly too far, though I would say a 150m run might reach.

See my previous posts, fibre rollout stopped 450m from my house, so while its technically in the area, it's not for us.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

Anyone got the details I need to add to my fritzbox, pure supplied me a Technicolor so want to use my fritzbox. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

stamjoe wrote: »
    Anyone got the details I need to add to my fritzbox, pure supplied me a Technicolor so want to use my fritzbox. Cheers!
    Assuming Pure use a Username/Password PPPoE:

I would assume you'd need to log in to the technicolor, try and find the details from the router admin pages somewhere, then use those in this page on the fritzbox
    R5lfZbz.png

EDIT: Thinking about it and getting PTSD from earlier this thread: there may be stuff to do with VLANs involved, which I'm both unqualified to talk about and unwilling to get into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

do vodafone still have the 1TB FUP on ftth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

do vodafone still have the 1TB FUP on ftth?

They still have a FUP, but they now do not tell you the limit anymore. So who knows, where it kicks in.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

lfc200 wrote: »
    Anyone any experience on how long after openeir complete ground works that the providers system updates to show fibre as being available?

Back story: In new estate, my street was the only one not connected for broadband, eircode was however showing as available for fibre.
    Placed order, open eir out to install no dp in place. This happened 3 times, eventually got escalated up and given a target completion date of Feb 28th. Work was done last week, KN engineer came to our door and all the neighbours to let us know it was completed.
    Been trying provider since, all they are saying is nothing has been updated on their end to show any improvement on target completion date..

My saga is continuing, I mentioned in another post that semi d house attached to mine is connected as well as others on the street. I've now gone past the "scheduled " completion date for ground works. Rang on Monday, provider spoke with open eir and they've now turned around and said that the builders on site need to do more work. I lost all patience with them at this point and insisted it got escalated, was asked to ring following day which I duly did.
    Tuesday, provider was told by open eir that oh yes we can now see that the ground works have been completed and that they'd ring by Thursday with an install date. Low and behold no phone call by Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

Marlow wrote: »
    They still have a FUP, but they now do not tell you the limit anymore. So who knows, where it kicks in.

/M

I asked Vodafone live chat and they are saying it is totally unlimited now. But like you say I'm sure that all providers including eir have a clause where they can deem your usage excessive and disconnect or charge etc. It does look like they removed the 1 TB cap which is good news.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I see the Eir 300 plan is removed from their website or at least I can't see it anymore for home users, it is still listed for business plans.

They appear to just offer 150 or 1000 plans for new home plans.

fmannix10 wrote: »
    I asked Vodafone live chat and they are saying it is totally unlimited now. But like you say I'm sure that all providers including eir have a clause where they can deem your usage excessive and disconnect or charge etc. It does look like they removed the 1 TB cap which is good news.

No. Westnet, Eir and Airwire are truely unlimited (unless you're an old customer with Eir). The other ones have a fair use policy limit in their terms and conditions.

For Vodafone, check here: https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/fixed.html --> Gigabit Broadband (which is all their FTTH products, even if you order 150 Mbit/s.)

Section 19.

"Fair Usage

Vodafone operates a fair usage policy (FUP). It is important to Vodafone that all eligible Vodafone customers are able to access our Services. Accordingly, we have devised a FUP which applies to all our Services. Vodafone may rely on this fair use policy where your usage of the Services is excessive or unreasonable as detailed in this paragraph. Vodafone has developed a threshold for the Services and the related tariffs by reference to average customer profiles and estimated customer usage of the Services (particularly the estimated volume and length of calls likely to be made and data used by end users) (the “Threshold”). If, at the absolute discretion of Vodafone, Vodafone is of the opinion that your usage of the Services materially exceeds the Threshold over any month, Vodafone may contact you to advise you that your usage exceeds its fair use policy. If the excessive usage continues to exceed the Threshold after receipt of a request to desist from or alter the nature of such usage, Vodafone reserves the right to charge you for the excessive element of your usage at your price plan’s standard rate or to suspend, at its absolute discretion, modify or restrict your use of the Service or to withdraw your access to the Services entirely. The General Terms and Conditions of the Vodafone Fixed Telecommunications and Broadband Service and the definitions therein shall apply. "

And as long as that's on their website in their terms and conditions, the lads (or lasses) on the phone told you porkies. I would ask for confirmation in WRITING before signing any contract.

I can also give you the link for Digiweb or the likes, if you want it :)

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭dowling06

Just wondering is there any provider that would assist in installing a FTTH connection that is approx 150 meters from the road? The OpenEir engineer actually approached my Dad when they were installing the line but he turned them away because he didnt know what they were talking about. On the dccae and rollout map all our neighbours houses are marked but ours isnt, I'm guessing because we are slightly further from the road. Anytime I speak with Eir sales they just tell me its not available.

We will be installing a duct to get a phone line in soon so hopefully we would get fibre sorted too. Attached is the pic of our house on the rollout map.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

After 1 year with another provider I changed back to eir.

Back on 1Gbps speeds so turns out openEir network was not the problem after all.
    Also faster pings (just talking 4ms here mind!) to most if not all locations of interest.

Lord help me if i ever need to call eir support however!
    I know they won't compare to the excellent service i've had with my previous provider !

(first world problems)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

It can literally be anything. Doesn't even have to be FTTH related. It could be NGN, FTTH, interconnect between exchanges, fibre for telephony (unlikely) or fibre for third parties.

They don't need to dig down more fibre between exchanges to increase capacity in reality. They can go from 10 to 40 to 100 to 400 Gbit/s just by changing the interface either end and/or adding multiplexers. It's a matter of line cards/network interfaces .. not fibre.

/M

turns out it's the eNet shannon to cork connection they are pulling

brianbruff wrote: »
    After 1 year with another provider I changed back to eir.

Back on 1Gbps speeds so turns out openEir network was not the problem after all.
    Also faster pings (just talking 4ms here mind!) to most if not all locations of interest.

Lord help me if i ever need to call eir support however!
    I know they won't compare to the excellent service i've had with my previous provider !

(first world problems)

I had the same experience as yourself. I switched to eir from another provider within cooloff period. It was a night and day difference but I never wanted to point fingers as it may have been something with my exchange or other variables such as routing and who the ISP uses for peering. Eir network is top quality despite the bad support.

There are 2 ways to interconnect with OpenEIR. Directly at each exchange or using their bitstream network.

If the provider does not have direct bandwidth at each exchange and thus has to use bitstream, it can make a massive difference.

It's not really noticable for 150 or 300 Mbit/s connection, but with Gbit/s FTTH you're bound to be pushing the boundaries of what's possible atm.

Eir obviously still has a complete different tie into the OpenEIR network and it can make a difference there. But there's also a completely different price tag .. nevermind the support issues.

At the end of the day, it's a question of what you are looking for. If you are looking for headline speeds beyond of what most average users want .. then that's one approach.

/M

There are 2 ways to interconnect with OpenEIR. Directly at each exchange or using their bitstream network.

If the provider does not have direct bandwidth at each exchange and thus has to use bitstream, it can make a massive difference.

It's not really noticable for 150 or 300 Mbit/s connection, but with Gbit/s FTTH you're bound to be pushing the boundaries of what's possible atm.

Eir obviously still has a complete different tie into the OpenEIR network and it can make a difference there. But there's also a completely different price tag .. nevermind the support issues.

At the end of the day, it's a question of what you are looking for. If you are looking for headline speeds beyond of what most average users want .. then that's one approach.

/M

Very Interesting. Is there any way to tell which method a particular provider uses or is it even different at each exchange?

Very Interesting. Is there any way to tell which method a particular provider uses or is it even different at each exchange?

No. All of that is layer2. It's down to how much own infrastructure an ISP has in place across the country and how their approach to quality is.

It's easier to identify with SIRO, as the direct connect was the only option there originally. But also that has a changed a bit.

Even on Bitstream, there can be vast differences. Some providers have their interconnects distributed across the country. So they can .. to some extend .. mitigate bandwidth issues. For those who just pick up the traffic in Dublin, you're scewed, if there's an issue. And that has indeed happened.

Either way .. Gbit/s FTTH connections are not profitable to most ISPs, if they are utilised regularly to the max. So I wouldn't expect too much on an effort to sort issues that are only affecting some routes. They are like a .. "see what we can do" product.

/M

Does anyone know how it works when you place an order for broadband on a premises that has the infrastructure installed (Fibre run in and ONT installed ) but the services are cancelled / not active. Is it placed as a new order or does one have to find the UAN for the previous services like you would for a provider transfer?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how it works when you place an order for broadband on a premises that has the infrastructure installed (Fibre run in and ONT installed ) but the services are cancelled / not active. Is it placed as a new order or does one have to find the UAN for the previous services like you would for a provider transfer?

It's a new provide. It should go through as an in-situ order, not requiring an engineer visit, as long as the ONT is powered up and connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I am with Eir but I purchased a VOIP Handset to use as my landline. This phone has no charger any idea of how to get it working?

Truckermal wrote: »
    I am with Eir but I purchased a VOIP Handset to use as my landline. This phone has no charger any idea of how to get it working?

Does it have removable batteries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

cnocbui wrote: »
    Does it have removable batteries?

No actually started a new thread not to be clogging up this one.

It'll either go active providing you have the uan but more likely you'll end up getting an install. Someone will come to your house if that's the case and stick a new ont on and activate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

babi-hrse wrote: »
    It'll either go active providing you have the uan but more likely you'll end up getting an install. Someone will come to your house if that's the case and stick a new ont on and activate it.

New ONT?
    What a waste of everyones time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

What’s the latest on the 300 to 500mb speed upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

medoc wrote: »
    What’s the latest on the 300 to 500mb speed upgrade?

Planned launch for the new FTTH 500 Mb Profile is the 27th April 2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    Is this only for new customers from the 27th Apr onwards or will they move those on the existing 300Mbps profile to the new 500Mbps?

• Advertisement

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    Is this only for new customers from the 27th Apr onwards or will they move those on the existing 300Mbps profile to the new 500Mbps?

Up to each ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Headshot wrote: »
    Planned launch for the new FTTH 500 Mb Profile is the 27th April 2020
    MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    Up to each ISP.

Any word on what Eir plan to do for their current customers ?

Im on 300Mbps with Eir .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Any word on what Eir plan to do for their current customers ?

Im on 300Mbps with Eir .

hopefully Eir will upgrade us to 500 by default. The 300Mbps plan has not been available for new orders for the past while on Eir's website. All other providers still have the 300 plan listed, so i'm guessing those on other networks may have to request the free upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Gonzo wrote: »
    hopefully Eir will upgrade us to 500 by default.

Hopefully they will .:)

Anyone with Airwire having issues streaming from echo's ?

Weird problem the last few days where all services seem ok bar any requiring streaming. Can't seem to find any global outages anywhere.

Probably not related but the EU asked Netflix to reduce the quality of their streams as all the people covid-19 isolating were using up too much of the US - Europe bandwidth. Someone in the US was having problems and traced it back to their local node which was at 100% capacity.

Need more fibre in the diet, obviously.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    New ONT?
    What a waste of everyones time.

That's just the way it is. Lot of onts going to waste if they're not getting collected. someone moves out of a house and someone else moves in and wants an account it comes out install and verify Insitu ftth. So it's usually known there's ftth at the premises but needs someone to register an ont to the line for new customer account. Should just be a provider to opener request. Ask the customer to call out the serial number over the phone and wait a min then bam ont repaired to account.
    Maybe it does work that way for some i wouldn't see those cases as there'd be no need for me to be there.
    Happens with provider changes too.

limnam wrote: »
    Anyone with Airwire having issues streaming from echo's ?

Weird problem the last few days where all services seem ok bar any requiring streaming. Can't seem to find any global outages anywhere.

You would need to be a lot more specific. Streaming what ? From where ? Which service ?

/M

You would need to be a lot more specific. Streaming what ? From where ? Which service ?

/M

Seems ok today

Was pretty much any streaming service.

3rd party applications like soma fm

Tune in / Global player _any_ that required streaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Hi All what is the likelihood of getting an connection to a house not showing on the map, buddy of mine house is the next house on a road that has ftth there house is about 100 yards after the last house showing on the map, it's mainly older couples so they uptake would have been low, so there should be network capacity??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

eiei0 wrote: »
    Hi All what is the likelihood of getting an connection to a house not showing on the map, buddy of mine house is the next house on a road that has ftth there house is about 100 yards after the last house showing on the map, it's mainly older couples so they uptake would have been low, so there should be network capacity??

No chance at all I would say.
    Eir don't know who will or won't order so have to have the capacity for the houses that were in the roll out to connect if they decide to. The OLT in the exchange only has so many ports. They will not extend the network for one house, it would made no financial sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement