Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

cnocbui wrote: »
    Well there is a good chance that is your problem in that your house post dates the port allocation process. Earlier in in the thread it's been pointed out that there is supposed to be a process by which new build can be added, but i don't think anyone developed the process formally. Perhaps contact Comreg and ask how it can be done or contact Airwire.ie and see if thay can get your Eir code added.

Ill try that thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Are either of your houses new builds? When you zoom in on the fibre roll-out-map, what does it say?
    My house isn't a new build, and i'm renting.

I've attached a screenshot from openeir showing my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My house isn't a new build, and i'm renting.

I've attached a screenshot from openeir showing my house.

There don't appear to be any blue dots marking houses with FTTH allocated, nor does that road have a fibre route blue line along it, so unless you deselected those in the map settings, it looks like the only type of fibre available is ADSL fibre to the cabinet.

There don't appear to be any blue dots marking houses with FTTH allocated, nor does that road have a fibre route blue line along it, so unless you deselected those in the map settings, it looks like the only type of fibre available is ADSL fibre to the cabinet.

There was a 'core network' map setting unselected, so i have selected it in the one now attached. I checked the eircode of the first green house (which is about two doors up from me) on Airwire and it says FTTH is available. Checked a few others nearby and it seems to be available for them too.

There was a 'core network' map setting unselected, so i have selected it in the one now attached. I checked the eircode of the first green house (which is about two doors up from me) on Airwire and it says FTTH is available. Checked a few others nearby and it seems to be available for them too.

That seems a bit strange, it's hard to tell from the first map shot, but it would appear the house across the road from yours also wasn't included, but two further along were and that several other houses - if they are that - were missed also.

Perhaps babi-hrse might have some ideas, because I'm out.

That seems a bit strange, it's hard to tell from the first map shot, but it would appear the house across the road from yours also wasn't included, but two further along were and that several other houses - if they are that - were missed also.

Perhaps babi-hrse might have some ideas, because I'm out.
    Hey I appreciate you taking the time to have a look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

The eir fibre rollout map has actually been updated today. Not sure if that's a daily thing now or if there are changes. I haven't looked at it in a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

You might have been deliberately left out being that your supposed to be in the coverage area of the cabinet in the town for VDSL albeit the very edge of the coverage area which will probably equate to about 7 -12meg at 1.3 -1.4km from cabinet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

daraghwal wrote: »
    The eir fibre rollout map has actually been updated today. Not sure if that's a daily thing now or if there are changes. I haven't looked at it in a while

It says two houses beside my parents house should be live with FTTH and they are not (like this for the past 8 months). I wonder how many more are like that and are Open Eir telling the department that these houses are live when they are not.

Hey I appreciate you taking the time to have a look!

You are welcome. Lokking at the map again, given what babi-hrse said, the next most green circle to the right of your house, which I taken to be a house, is actually a fibre cabinet, so have you checked the fibre to the cabinet speed available to you? It should be around 30 mbps if the house was passed by for FTTH.

• Advertisement

You are welcome. Lokking at the map again, given what babi-hrse said, the next most green circle to the right of your house, which I taken to be a house, is actually a fibre cabinet, so have you checked the fibre to the cabinet speed available to you? It should be around 30 mbps if the house was passed by for FTTH.
    Unfortunately, the speeds we get with fibre to the cabinet are only 10mb/s,which is even worse than what we get currently with Imagine lol. With both myself and my wife working from home these days it simply isn't fit for purpose.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

quite an outage - Digiweb ? - had to tether up my phone

quite an outage - Digiweb ? - had to tether up my phone

254 OpenEIR subscriber lines down due to a fibre fault affecting Coolaney & Lavagh.

Forecasted time for fix 07/11/2020 07:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

254 OpenEIR subscriber lines down due to a fibre fault affecting Coolaney & Lavagh.

Forecasted time for fix 07/11/2020 07:00

thank you for that info Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

For anyone interested, I just did some renewals with eir, for myself and my grandmother.

As I previously posted, eir offered me 500 profile for €37. I rang back this time and they immediately offered me the same for €30 for 12 months. Took that right away as it matched Vodafone's new customer price and, to be fair to eir, their network is rock solid and I've heard bad things about Vodafone's.

My grandmother uses her landline a lot to call relatives abroad (not tech savvy and stubborn so internet solutions are off the table for now :D) so that was a must for her. She got 500 profile plus her worldwide calls for 45.98 for 24 months(!). The 24 months part surprised me to be honest as they had no interest in offering me anything more than 12 months when I asked before.

Anyway, happy out to have that sorted and, more importantly, very happy with the price :D

Some years ago, I found, much to my surprise, That Vodafone's international call charges were significantly cheaper than my landline, so stopped using it for such calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

Hi Guys, I'm a bit of a noob to all this so go easy on me :)

Myself and my OH are looking at moving house and the property we are looking at is inside the green(live) area on the openeir map. Does this mean we should be able to connect to FTTH or does this green area just indicate where is covered by the local cabinet for the VDSL connection?
    When I put the eircode into the checker on the eir website they quote me a connection of only 5MB. With both myself and my OH working from home at the minute this will obviously not be enough for us.

I have spoken to the owner of the house across the road and he has FTTH 1GB connection to his house. I have tried raising this with eir/openeir and am getting a combo of "sorry nothing I can do" or automated replies back.
    I guess I am just wondering if there is anyone we could contact to look into this further, as things stand this will be a deal breaker as to whether or not we can take the house.

I have added a link to an image of the map to explain a bit better than my blurb has. Any help/advice would be much appreciated though.

https://imgur.com/a/lmeiC94

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

testtech05 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I'm a bit of a noob to all this so go easy on me :)

Myself and my OH are looking at moving house and the property we are looking at is inside the green(live) area on the openeir map. Does this mean we should be able to connect to FTTH or does this green area just indicate where is covered by the local cabinet for the VDSL connection?
    When I put the eircode into the checker on the eir website they quote me a connection of only 5MB. With both myself and my OH working from home at the minute this will obviously not be enough for us.

I have spoken to the owner of the house across the road and he has FTTH 1GB connection to his house. I have tried raising this with eir/openeir and am getting a combo of "sorry nothing I can do" or automated replies back.
    I guess I am just wondering if there is anyone we could contact to look into this further, as things stand this will be a deal breaker as to whether or not we can take the house.

I have added a link to an image of the map to explain a bit better than my blurb has. Any help/advice would be much appreciated though.

https://imgur.com/a/lmeiC94

Green shaded area is area that "should" be covered by Fibre to the Cabinet. The closer you are to the outside of that area in general the lower the speeds/availability.

If your house is along one of the yellow fibre routes and has a Green house symbol overhead then FTTH should be available.

Map not always 100% accurate, drop us a PM with your Eircode if you'd like us to check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 tomrob

Just found out Ftth has come available have rang vodafone and Eir both 30euro 12 month contracts but Eir want 99 euro installation and 49 euro activation fee 150mb broadband .Vodafone offering 500mb and free installation. Eir do not seem to be interested in matching Vodafone. We prefer to go with Eir if they matched price of Vodafone Wondering any point in ringing Eir again ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

tomrob wrote: »
    Just found out Ftth has come available have rang vodafone and Eir both 30euro 12 month contracts but Eir want 99 euro installation and 49 euro activation fee 150mb broadband .Vodafone offering 500mb and free installation. Eir do not seem to be interested in matching Vodafone. We prefer to go with Eir if they matched price of Vodafone Wondering any point in ringing Eir again ?

Yes do - where you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

Some years ago, I found, much to my surprise, That Vodafone's international call charges were significantly cheaper than my landline, so stopped using it for such calls.

Yeah, mobiles have near killed off landlines for most. For her needs, the landline does work out cheaper so she was happy to stick with it.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yes do - where you based?

Mayo

Mayo

I Rang Eir this morning and just gave same price told about Vodafone offer but did not match it

Mayo

Where in Mayo, if I may ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Both Eir and Vodafone's price doubles after the 12 months, so it could be a hassle having to switch in a year. Eir are the worse option as they're only doing 150Mb as their low offering. If you don't need the TV then avoid them.

Also consider Westnet, €45 a month for 500Mb but no price jump after the 12 months, so 24 months with them works out the same price as 24 months with vodafone without switching.

Also Vodafone will probably hit you with the €50 installation fee, Westnet is free installation.

user1842 wrote: »
    Where in Mayo, if I may ask?

Near Castlebar

Near Castlebar

Can you let us know when you get connected. It will be interesting to see the time-frame of when you order to when you get connected.

user1842 wrote: »
    Can you let us know when you get connected. It will be interesting to see the time-frame of when you order to when you get connected.

I will do .I signed up with Vodafone see what happens .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

Good morning folks,
    Prob asked already but have we any way around this issue.

Eir have installed fibre right at the bottom of the rd (main rd). We are 500m from it up a lane that has 4 other houses on it but we cannot get fibre.

Anyone any experiences similar ? Any joy and how to go about it if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

THEFRIDGE wrote: »
    Good morning folks,

Eir have installed fibre right at the bottom of the rd (main rd). We are 500m from it up a lane that has 4 other houses on it but we cannot get fibre.

Answered good few times already, short version - bad luck , wait for NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Does EIR Sport still show Premier League games? Or have they lost this?

THEFRIDGE wrote: »
    Good morning folks,

I feel your pain but in our case the house across the road from our entrance (max 50m from the house) has fibre while we cant get it, really frustrating. I tried enquiring through a few different companies some who were more helpful than others but eventually all got the same answer......

Hi Martin,
    My house was last week listed as VDSL available 12M/1M but this week it says "Please check with our sales team"
    Would you be able to tell why this might be? I can provide any needed info.
    Thanks,

Still on available soon - its showing that we might be able to get FTTH soon (we have eir fibre in the street we live on)

testtech05 wrote: »
    My house was last week listed as VDSL available 12M/1M but this week it says "Please check with our sales team"
    Would you be able to tell why this might be? I can provide any needed info.

Hi,

can you PM me your Eircode. I can have a look at see.

Generally it might be caused by merges within OpenEIRs database.

I await the day it updates and includes my address on the FTTH section

I had a sales rep call to me yesterday from vodafone. I said well this will be my chance for a bit of craic with him.

Introduced himself as Darren and was very polite. Asked if i had got my upgrade to ftth and I said i didnt but was very interested.
    Now poor Darren thinks he has an easy sale here and starts going through all thats needed and i hit him with this.

"Darren, im gonna make your xmas!!how would you like a grand in cash today?If you can get me FTTH by the end of the day its yours? the box is on that post there on my lawn 30 foot away! off you go"

needless to say he did try the poor lad but left half an hour later wondering what could have been.

i would have paid the man the money too if he could have done it!!!

• Advertisement

Newbuild?

Newbuild?

yes we are here three years and the ftth cabinets went up about two years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

feelpablo wrote: »
    yes we are here three years and the ftth cabinets went up about two years ago

There is no such thing as FTTH cabinets.

FTTC (VDSL) is supplied from cabinets.

FTTH is supplied directly from the exchange and the drop line into your home is connected to a small black distribution point box on a pole or in a manhole.

Also, how long the premise is there doesn't matter for FTTH. What matters is, when the Eircode was allocated to your premise and if and when the builder or developer has submitted the plans and paperwork to the HEU Unit at OpenEIR.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    There is no such thing as FTTH cabinets.

FTTC (VDSL) is supplied from cabinets.

FTTH is supplied directly from the exchange and the drop line into your home is connected to a small black distribution point box on a pole or in a manhole.

Also, how long the premise is there doesn't matter for FTTH. What matters is, when the Eircode was allocated to your premise and if and when the builder or developer has submitted the plans and paperwork to the HEU Unit at OpenEIR.

/M

excuse my ignorance i hope you haven't been too offended

excuse my ignorance i hope you haven't been too offended

Well, if you don't want clarity, then just ignore my post. All I did was to explain to you, that you are mixing and matching and if you do that, you'll never get anywhere.

/M

The rural fibre contract is supposed to include a mechanism for providing fibre to newbuilds that were not included in the original selection. You could try emailing Martin at Airwire and see if he knows more or can help. Failing that, you could write to Comreg and ask about the mechanism and how to avail of it.

By 'cabinet' do you mean a black box on a pole or a large green cabinet standing on the ground?

Ofcom

Comreg :) ... Ofcom won't give a r*** a***.

/M

Well, if you don't want clarity, then just ignore my post. All I did was to explain to you, that you are mixing and matching and if you do that, you'll never get anywhere.

/M

Thank you.

Im aware of the correct terms and as it was just a brief explaination to some one on a thread on boards i didnt feel i needed to clarify that the FTTH connection point on the telegraph pole was indeed not a cabinet.

I know I wont get any where anytime soon because this has been explained by all the relevant bodies and know also by yourself, again thank you.

Im aware of the correct terms and as it was just a brief explaination to some one on a thread on boards i didnt feel i needed to clarify that the FTTH connection point on the telegraph pole was indeed not a cabinet.

What you are referring to is a DP then.

The problem is, that if you use the wrong terms, you also make life harder for the next person, that gets it wrong. And the terms are constantly mixed up often resulting in, that people take the wrong approach solving their problem, because they either look for the wrong things or use the wrong terms.

That's why it's important to use the correct terminology.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

What you are referring to is a DP then.

The problem is, that if you use the wrong terms, you also make life harder for the next person, that gets it wrong. And the terms are constantly mixed up often resulting in, that people take the wrong approach solving their problem, because they either look for the wrong things or use the wrong terms.

That's why it's important to use the correct terminology.

/M

You are totally correct but its a shame that ISP's haven't always been adhering to this, their overuse of the "fibre" term for marketing advantage has contributed to the confusion.

Advertisement