Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Marlow wrote: »
    No ... provider needs to submit to OpenEIR, OpenEIR needs to submit to network build team, they need to adjust the database (takes a month or more) and then the premise suddenly is listed.

Trying it any other way, will just prolong the process or result in the premise not being listed at all. OpenEIR have NO OBLIGATION to deliver broadband. Only phone services and basic internet (dial-up) are covered in the USO. They can deliver that using wireless, if they aren't bothered. And they still operate like they are an incumbent, even though they were privatised 20 years ago.

The issue is, that most of the mainstream large providers don't accommodate that mechanism, as they're not interested in complicated. They only want volume and easy.

/M

Hi, sightly off topic but is the process the same for VDSL? Having awful trouble getting FTTC activated on a phoneline, despite being in a fibre enabled area.

Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Grudle wrote: »
    Hi, sightly off topic but is the process the same for VDSL? Having awful trouble getting FTTC activated on a phoneline, despite being in a fibre enabled area.

Hi,

no: VDSL is a completely different process.

When you go to our availability check at http://airwire.ie/avail and type in your eircode, does it come back as "Available" or "Available" with speeds mentioned ?

Also, you being in a green shaded FTTC/VDSL enabled area does not mean, that you actually can get it. Especially on an existing phone line.

The issue with this is, that if the phone line is wired through a NGA cabinet, that is not yet enabled or directly to the exchange, then you can not get VDSL on that existing phone line. And that can not be fixed.

So, if that is the case, then it is down to how your broadband provider of choice orders the line. And even then, it is not always possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Hi,

no: VDSL is a completely different process.

When you go to our availability check at http://airwire.ie/avail and type in your eircode, does it come back as "Available" or "Available" with speeds mentioned ?

Also, you being in a green shaded FTTC/VDSL enabled area does not mean, that you actually can get it. Especially on an existing phone line.

The issue with this is, that if the phone line is wired through a NGA cabinet, that is not yet enabled or directly to the exchange, then you can not get VDSL on that existing phone line. And that can not be fixed.

So, if that is the case, then it is down to how your broadband provider of choice orders the line. And even then, it is not always possible.

Hi Martin,

It comes up as just available. There is a long story behind it that I won't clog this thread up with. I'll continue to pursue with the provider.

Thanks

Grudle wrote: »
    It comes up as just available. There is a long story behind it that I won't clog this thread up with. I'll continue to pursue with the provider.

If you PM me your eircode and phone number, I can see, if there is anything obvious. But beyond that, we'd only put any effort in, if somebody places an order with us. For obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭limktime

If you PM me your eircode and phone number, I can see, if there is anything obvious. But beyond that, we'd only put any effort in, if somebody places an order with us. For obvious reasons.

Hi Martin,

I sent you a PM last week. I'm guessing you had no news on it. Any idea what's going on with it?

Thanks

limktime wrote: »
    I sent you a PM last week. I'm guessing you had no news on it. Any idea what's going on with it?

Not yet, but it has been reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Update on 500MB from Openeir:)

Upgrading is completely optional and at the Operators discretion.
    The 300Mb product will remain in place for the foreseeable future.
    The upgrade will be done through existing functionality on the UG that allows Operators to submit a batch of up to 1,000 migration orders per day.
    These upgrades are initiated by the Operator and therefore the timing will be entirely in the Operators control.
    A new set of UG Service Type codes will be created for the new 500Mb profile.
    Any FTTH 300Mb to 500Mb upgrades initiated from the 500Mb profile launch until 31/12/2020, will be free. (Subject to notification and approvals)
    The price for upgrades will revert to €2.50, from the 1st of Jan 2021.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Headshot wrote: »
    Update on 500MB from Openeir:)

Upgrading is completely optional and at the Operators discretion.
    The 300Mb product will remain in place for the foreseeable future.
    The upgrade will be done through existing functionality on the UG that allows Operators to submit a batch of up to 1,000 migration orders per day.
    These upgrades are initiated by the Operator and therefore the timing will be entirely in the Operators control.
    A new set of UG Service Type codes will be created for the new 500Mb profile.
    Any FTTH 300Mb to 500Mb upgrades initiated from the 500Mb profile launch until 31/12/2020, will be free. (Subject to notification and approvals)
    The price for upgrades will revert to €2.50, from the 1st of Jan 2021.

so basically in order to get the 500Mb upgrade we would have to call the Eir Support team and request it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Gonzo wrote: »
    so basically in order to get the 500Mb upgrade we would have to call the Eir Support team and request it?

It's a new product. The reason it was implemented like that is, that it would make a total mess of most providers provisioning systems, if it just replaced an existing profile.

/M

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Not if you're not an eir customer. ;)

Some providers will abandon the 300Mb/s product and just upgrade everyone to 500Mb/s. Maybe some will wait until the customer asks. It's really up to the provider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Eoin3 wrote: »
    Managed to get fibre without being on the list.

Don't really know how we got it honestly. We had contacted a lot of different people, Eir, OpenEir, KN, sales people going door to door, sales people in stores etc. Number of them said they would look into it and follow up for us. One of them obviously got our Eircode added at some stage.

Makes for a nice Christmas present after many years of waiting :D

You're one of the lucky ones Eoin. Could you PM some contact details for openeir and KN? I tried the eir sales number last week and they didn't want to know because my property is earmarked for NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

I had some phone line issues recently and had a guy from KN at the house to fix it. While there I asked him about running fibre from the nearest DP and he was saying it was no problem to do and the property was within the 3 pole loop. It needs eir to run the physical cable though. I was onto eir sales and they didn't want to know because my eircode is on the NBP list but is there a way to get eir to take another look if an engineer can see no reason why fibre cable can't be run? Just as pure coincidence an eir sales guy called to the door today, checked the eircode and said FTTH is planned but I don't know if that's planned under NBP or eir and have no idea of timeframe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I had some phone line issues recently and had a guy from KN at the house to fix it. While there I asked him about running fibre from the nearest DP and he was saying it was no problem to do and the property was within the 3 pole loop. It needs eir to run the physical cable though. I was onto eir sales and they didn't want to know because my eircode is on the NBP list but is there a way to get eir to take another look if an engineer can see no reason why fibre cable can't be run? Just as pure coincidence an eir sales guy called to the door today, checked the eircode and said FTTH is planned but I don't know if that's planned under NBP or eir and have no idea of timeframe.

Well it's physically possible they could connect you to FTTH home if that nearby DP is not registered to capacity with other addresses.
    Your taking to the wrong Eir, they are just a service provider the same as any of the other ISPs
    It's the Open Eir division that deals with this not Eir retail. Open Eir run the network.
    Open Eir do not deal with the general public.
    What Eoin3 managed to do is very unusual and we don't know how he went about it.

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

OpenEir

"The planned launch for the new FTTH 500 Mb Profile is the 27th April 2020"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Headshot wrote: »
    OpenEir

"The planned launch for the new FTTH 500 Mb Profile is the 27th April 2020"

https://www.openeir.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=6395

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The Cush wrote: »

I didn't read the whole thing, just skimmed through it but see the 500 profile listed with 2 seperate dates.

NGA Bitstream Plus Standalone 500Mbps 27/04/2020
    NGA Bitstream Plus Standalone 500Mbps 01/07/2020

What is the second date in July for?

I'm hoping that on the 27th of April I can contact Eir support and get upgraded from the 300 to 500 for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The wholesale price increases slightly from July 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnyhealy

Weirdly my house(and those around me) was showing as Available soon on airwire site for ages but is now gone to not available.
    A rep from Dept of Comms has told me that my property and those around me should be able to order from providers as per Openeir.
    When I called them/Check online it does not appear to be the case.
    Has anyone aware of a lag between Openeir saying area is good to go and the providers?

• Advertisement

johnyhealy wrote: »
    Has anyone aware of a lag between Openeir saying area is good to go and the providers?

Yes open eir give all providers access to the updated list and then it is up to each provider to amend their own list. Airwire update every Thursday evening I think, some providers are much slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnyhealy

OK thanks.
    I will keep an eye on it this week.
    tuxy wrote: »
    Yes open eir give all providers access to the updated list and then it is up to each provider to amend their own list. Airwire update every Thursday evening I think, some providers are much slower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Maybe someone here can help me.

I built a new house in rural donegal finished two and a half years ago.
    when it came to getting a connection for broadband all that was available in the area was up to 8mg.
    We had no eircode at the time and the agent suggested using our neighbours who are my inlaws which was fine.
    Cut to trying to get connected to the cabinet thats on my lawn for the fibre to the home!

we got our own eircode after alot of arsing about but it says there is nothing available in the area.

now i know for a fact that two other neighbours below us got connected to that cabinet and have the ngb.

We have not been able to get talking to anyone who can help us.

would anyone be able to help guide me here?? thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I didn't read the whole thing, just skimmed through it but see the 500 profile listed with 2 seperate dates.

I'm hoping that on the 27th of April I can contact Eir support and get upgraded from the 300 to 500 for free?

I see the 500Mbps is the same price as the 300Mbps, so perhaps they can. Anyone know if this is a realistic option and/or will other providers be able to do it easily enough?
    Also I noticed that the 1000Mbps is actually dropping by a fiver, whereas the 150/300/500 are going up...

Also is the 300 being dropped completely or existing stay on that profile and new customers offered 150/500/1000 instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭limktime

johnyhealy wrote: »
    Weirdly my house(and those around me) was showing as Available soon on airwire site for ages but is now gone to not available.
    A rep from Dept of Comms has told me that my property and those around me should be able to order from providers as per Openeir.
    When I called them/Check online it does not appear to be the case.

I’m in the same situation (was showing as Available soon but now showing as not available). I actually have an order placed with Airwire, for a year, so they reported this to Openeir a while back but I still don’t have any update on why. It seems to be like getting blood from a stone, trying to get info from Openeir, even for ISPs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Airwire seems to have a problem the last couple of days with speed of connection

9008890087.png

but OK from enet, Limerick

9008900898.png

That's a speedtest server issue, not an Airwire issue.

That Ballina server belongs to Arra Communications, I believe. Nobody knows, what sort of bandwidth that has.

Test to servers, that have known to have 10 Gbit/s plus before blaming the ISP. That would be the Galway server for Airwire or the Carlow server for Blacknight.

Nothing wrong with your connection anyhow.

/M

That's a speedtest server issue, not an Airwire issue.

That Ballina server belongs to Arra Communications, I believe. Nobody knows, what sort of bandwidth that has.

Test to servers, that have known to have 10 Gbit/s plus before blaming the ISP. That would be the Galway server for Airwire or the Carlow server for Blacknight.

Nothing wrong with your connection anyhow.

/M

You need to read what is written ....
    "Airwire seems to have a problem"

As you are no doubt aware, the Speedtest button/link on the Airwire website is a direct link to the speedtest page, and it is automatically pointed to the Ballina server at least for some users.

This is most definitely an Airwire problem, if it does not work correctly.

;)

I'm surprised to see someone use the Arra Communications speedtest server. I live in that area, they are a very small wireless internet provider and their fastest package is 6 Mbps. That server would only be of use to their own customers.

You need to read what is written ....
    "Airwire seems to have a problem"

As you are no doubt aware, the Speedtest button/link on the Airwire website is a direct link to the speedtest page, and it is automatically pointed to the Ballina server at least for some users.

This is most definitely an Airwire problem, if it does not work correctly.

;)

No. It is a Speedtest.net problem. They sometimes remove servers for some reasons and just send you to another one.

It is up to yourself to pick an appropriate server. Clicking blindly is never a good thing.

The Airwire server is currently not listed.

The way you pointed it out, it came across like you have a problem with your connection, which you don't have. If the speedserver, that Airwire is hosting is not working, then that can be a problem with their server or a problem with Speedtest.net. But it certainly never is a problem with your internet connection ...

You wrote "Airwire seems to have a problem the last couple of days with speed of connection". Nothing wrong with the speed of your connection. Just something wrong with where you are testing. That's considered a user error.

/M

• Advertisement

No. It is a Speedtest.net problem. They sometimes remove servers for some reasons and just send you to another one.

It is up to yourself to pick an appropriate server. Clicking blindly is never a good thing.

The Airwire server is currently not listed.

The way you pointed it out, it came across like you have a problem with your connection, which you don't have. If the speedserver, that Airwire is hosting is not working, then that can be a problem with their server or a problem with Speedtest.net. But it certainly never is a problem with your internet connection ...

You wrote "Airwire seems to have a problem the last couple of days with speed of connection". Nothing wrong with the speed of your connection. Just something wrong with where you are testing. That's considered a user error.

/M

If Airwire are not in control of the server their speedtest link connects to then that is something Airwire needs to address.
    Using the Airwire link provides a bad connection, which is exactly what I posted that they 'seem' to have a problem.

I also provided proof that it was not MY connection that was the problem with a second speed test result using a different server.

I have no grasp of why you think Airwire needs a defense in this matter.
    The results came from hitting a link on the Airwire site.

That IS an Airwire problem, regardless the actual cause.

If Airwire are not in control of the server their speedtest link connects to then that is something Airwire needs to address.

The service you are using to test your connection with is developed and ran by speedtest.net. That's what it says, when you follow that link.

They are in control of the speedtest.net website, which servers are listed and the development of the website.

The providers that provide a server can improve accuracy of results by providing a server in their network and adequate bandwidth for that server. They are not in control on how the test is conducted.

That is not something the provider can address.

The provider may provide a link to give a recommendation. But you still need to have common sense, when you run the test. It's always a good plan to run a test to more than one server .. just to make sure you didn't test to a bad server.

If everyone had your attitude, then providers would block access to these servers.

/M

The service you are using to test your connection with is developed and ran by speedtest.net. That's what it says, when you follow that link.

They are in control of the speedtest.net website, which servers are listed and the development of the website.

The providers that provide a server can improve accuracy of results by providing a server in their network and adequate bandwidth for that server. They are not in control on how the test is conducted.

That is not something the provider can address.

The provider may provide a link to give a recommendation. But you still need to have common sense, when you run the test. It's always a good plan to run a test to more than one server .. just to make sure you didn't test to a bad server.

If everyone had your attitude, then providers would block access to these servers.

/M

Are you blind or just being deliberately obtuse?
    I posted a second test on a different server which explained clearly that it was the server that was the problem.

The only one with an 'attitude' is you.
    I brought what I consider to be a problem to the attention of the Airwire reps who frequent this thread.
    Yes I consider it to be a problem for Airwire ....... as it returns a bad speedtest from a link that Airwire provide on their own site.

Airwire ARE in control of the links on their site and thus it is a problem for Airwire.

This all makes one wonder why you should be so aggressively defensive about such a simple matter.
    Their link - their responsibility to ensure it returns correct info.

Airwire ARE in control of the links on their site and thus it is a problem for Airwire.

This all makes one wonder why you should be so aggressively defensive about such a simple matter.
    Their link - their responsibility to ensure it returns correct info.

By your logic, an internet provider can not link to any 3rd party websites. (speedtest.net is a 3rd party website. There is no Airwire branding once you follow that link)

Because if they do, then they are responsible for these 3rd party services, that are on those websites ?

Do I see that correct ?

On that matter, speedtest.net has on many occasions over the years broken the direct links into their website, so it's often out of control of the provider. The user has to specificly select the server, he wants to test to. The provided one is not always optimal.

/M

By your logic, an internet provider can not link to any 3rd party websites. (speedtest.net is a 3rd party website. There is no Airwire branding once you follow that link)

I don't know how you think logic works, but that is just ridiculous in the extreme.
    Because if they do, then they are responsible for these 3rd party services, that are on those websites ?

Do I see that correct ?

No.

I click an Airwire provided link in the expectation that the results will be, if anything, beneficial to Airwire. I might even go and check other tests to confirm the first result.

It is in Airwire's interests to have the result of that first test accurate.
    That it is not accurate is detrimental to Airwire as a business.
    That is a problem for Airwire, and is completely in Airwire's control.

I brought it to their attention, with proof that the problem is due to the default server used from their link.
    Due to the results received the Airwire connection seems to have a problem.

####

For further information it is very noticeable that if I use

https://www.speedtest.net/

directly, I most often get Blacknight, Carlow as the optimal server.

When I use the link directly from the Airwire site

https://airwire.speedtest.net/

I have never been offered anything other than Arra, Ballina.

It is in Airwire's power to delete; temporarily disable or replace the link with one that actually reflects the true situation.

It is up to Airwire to attend to the matter.

As I stated before, it's not the first time, that speedtest.net have broken things on their side.

http://airwire.speedtest.net is a domain, which is in control of speedtest.net .. they're the top level of that domain. What it does is in their control.

How their website reacts to it, is actually a problem on the end of speedtest.net

It would be a completely different issue if it was http://speedtest.airwire.ie/ .. then it would be in Airwire's control. That is how the internet works.

At the end of the day .. look at the branding of the webpage, you're running the test on. That's whoever you need to talk to. That's the entity, that is responsible. ... so in this case: speedtest.net

/M

As I stated before, it's not the first time, that speedtest.net have broken things on their side.

http://airwire.speedtest.net is a domain, which is in control of speedtest.net .. they're the top level of that domain. What it does is in their control.

How their website reacts to it, is actually a problem on the end of speedtest.net

It would be a completely different issue if it was http://speedtest.airwire.ie/ .. then it would be in Airwire's control. That is how the internet works.

At the end of the day .. look at the branding of the webpage, you're running the test on. That's whoever you need to talk to. That's the entity, that is responsible. ... so in this case: speedtest.net

/M

Look at the branding of the site where the customer clicks the link ...... that is who is associated, in the customer's mind, with the result regardless how the internet works.

That is Airwire and it is in Airwire's interest to have the result be accurate. That is a problem for Airwire to resolve.

Look at the branding of the site where the customer clicks the link ...... that is who is associated, in the customer's mind, with the result regardless how the internet works.

That is Airwire and it is in Airwire's interest to have the result be accurate. That is a problem for Airwire to resolve.

Marlow's right: Ookla just don't give you that sort of control. When the speedtest site loads it determines the "best" server to use, and they don't offer any way to override that (at least they didn't last time I checked).

I can see, how you'd be the perfect fraud victim clicking on links in emails or websites, expecting that whoever send you there can 100% predetermine the result of what a 3rd parties website does.

That's like going into a shop and wanting to buy a product, that they don't have anymore .. because your neighbor told you they have it. And then blame him for them having run out of it.

/M

I can see, how you'd be the perfect fraud victim clicking on links in emails or websites, expecting that whoever send you there can 100% predetermine the result of what a 3rd parties website does.

That's like going into a shop and wanting to buy a product, that they don't have anymore .. because your neighbor told you they have it. And then blame him for them having run out of it.

/M

You are now gone to being utterly ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

So is this a Westnet problem as well? Are 3 not aware of how bad it makes them look? Surely a crack squad of ISPs should be dispatched to Arra communications straight away to fix a problem the ISPs didn't cause,
    or
    could it be that when Marlow said it was down to a problem speedtest server rather than a fault with an ISP, he was correct?

9012087809.png
    5721493919.png

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    So is this a Westnet problem as well, meaning a crack squad of ISPs should be dispatched to Arra communications straight away to fix a problem the ISPs didn't cause,
    or
    could it be that when Marlow said it was down to a problem speedtest server rather than a fault with an ISP, he was correct?

9012087809.png

There is no doubt the cause is the server.
    That is made clear from the first post pics comparing two servers.

If Westnet, by default, are linking to a problem server, then that is a Westnet problem, which they can overcome by linking to a different server (if possible) or a different service which does not produce the same incorrect results.

Of course if Westnet and/or Airwire are not concerned about the effect this might have on customer perception of their competence, then there is no problem at all.

Of course if Westnet and/or Airwire are not concerned about the effect this might have on customer perception of their competence, then there is no problem at all.

It is a 3rd party service, that has nothing to do with them.

Even if they are so friendly to refer you to an independent 3rd party so that you can make your own educated tests to diagnose things. Which is what you should appreciate, so that you know they have not fudged the results.

They could as well leave you to your own devices and let you figure things out yourself.

It is still you at the steering wheel and still you, that has to draw the correct conclusions from your doings. Any speedtest across the internet from any point to another .. especially when conducted using a lossy medium like a web browser .. has to be taken as an indication, rather than a fact. It is a diagnostics tool for when you have a problem.

/M

...by linking to a different server (if possible)...

It's.

Not.

Possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

I live in Manorcunningham village near Letterkenny Donegal.

I have fttc....will ftth ever be made available. Every year I'm told yes and soon. Then nothing happens. From a few months to we cant give false info out. The cabinet is 100m from my house. And all polls outside the village have the boxes on them.

Latest I was told that its planning permission.....

Anybody know the real answer? Just move house?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's.

Not.

Possible.

Which is why I used (if possible) in the post.

Yet, strangely, since my last post, whenever I checked, the default server from the Airwire link is Airwire, Galway, and not the Arra, Ballina server.
    So something has changed ..... and for the better it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Which is why I used (if possible) in the post.

Yet, strangely, since my last post, whenever I checked, the default server from the Airwire link is Airwire, Galway, and not the Arra, Ballina server.

Odd, I am getting the same now. Previously it auto selected (usually my ISP Vodafone). And that link always seems to override my usual setting on Speedtest of a preferred server when I am logged in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

God works in mysterious ways.

/G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Is airwire down for maintenance?

• Advertisement

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Is airwire down for maintenance?

https://twitter.com/airwire?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I would suggest following their twitter account

Advertisement