Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend e bike for work commute

Options
  • 06-11-2019 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for an e-bike recommendation for work commute. 15km, fairly flat most of the way.

Budget- ideally under 1,500, if can get a decent bike for 1,000 all the better. Will use the bike to work scheme

Thanks,
    Patrick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Will you be using the bike for a bit of leisure cycling at the weekend? Do you plan on fitting panniers?

Are you cycling in the city? I prefer a hybrid to a racer in the city because of the seated viewing position.

I have one of these and love it.

https://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en_IE/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-sport-4/p/21559/

I have about ten thousand KM up on it in two years, had to change the cassette and chain on it due to wear and tear, but otherwise no problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Will you be using the bike for a bit of leisure cycling at the weekend? Do you plan on fitting panniers?

Are you cycling in the city? I prefer a hybrid to a racer in the city because of the seated viewing position.

I have one of these and love it.

https://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en_IE/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-sport-4/p/21559/

I have about ten thousand KM up on it in two years, had to change the cassette and chain on it due to wear and tear, but otherwise no problems with it.

Thanks for the reply but I'm looking for an e-bike.
    I have a separate bike that I'd use for casual cycling.
    Not going to fit panniers
    Not cycling in the city.

Cheers,
    Patrick.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply but I'm looking for an e-bike.
    I have a separate bike that I'd use for casual cycling.
    Not going to fit panniers
    Not cycling in the city.

Cheers,
    Patrick.

Apologies, i blew the load there and didn't see e-bike.

There's one in Halfords that gets rave reviews:

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/gtech-sport-electric-hybrid-bike-20-frame

It's single speed, so if you're not doing a lot of hills it could be a good choice. Also less maintenance and things to go wrong.

Cube do a fairly decent hybrid too, it's out of stock, but something similar wouldn't be a bad choice.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cube-cross-hybrid-one-400-e-bike-2019/rp-prod181708

This gives you a good idea on the type of motors etc:

https://boltonebikes.com/blogs/news/which-motor-should-i-choose-for-my-electric-bike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There are few things to consider when getting an ebike.
    The motor position effect the weight and the ride of the bike. Personally I do not like the wheel based motors as the weight is off and the power is on those wheels. Front motors are known to slip and wheels are known to break spokes easily. Personally would go for mid motor.

I recommend getting a bike with internal gear hub. The chain and gears will wear down quicker than a regular bike

Brakes should be disk breaks otherwise you will be constantly adjusting your brakes.

Look at the overall bike and what you get. You will want mudguards so don't be fooled by a cheaper bike if you have more parts to buy.

The battery type is important. Make sure you can get a replacement in the future. The cube bike for example is only for their model, in 3 years will they still sell them. Who makes them too. Halfords bike seems to not name the manufacturers of motor nor battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Have a look at the RadPower bikes...

I have the RadRhino and couldn't be happier. I've also got one of the Carrera e-bikes which is also very capable but a little under powered if there are steep hills.

https://radpowerbikes.eu/?utm_source=AdWords&utm_campaign=Brand_Google_EU_age-all_newengen_DE1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-4nuBRCnARIsAHwyuPopXck2yomIY2FYjVxm8WAXDGmYTz27TG-WucI_2PVwpYTL3yHtOsUaAhHuEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭what?

Gwildor wrote: »

I have the RadRhino and couldn't be happier. I've also got one of the Carrera e-bikes which is also very capable but a little under powered if there are steep hills.

https://radpowerbikes.eu/?utm_source=AdWords&utm_campaign=Brand_Google_EU_age-all_newengen_DE1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-4nuBRCnARIsAHwyuPopXck2yomIY2FYjVxm8WAXDGmYTz27TG-WucI_2PVwpYTL3yHtOsUaAhHuEALw_wcB

Sorry for the hijack OP
    Gwildor, mind if I PM you a few questions on the rad?
    Ta

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no harm in asking the questions in the thread? they may be relevant for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    There are few things to consider when getting an ebike.
    The motor position effect the weight and the ride of the bike. Personally I do not like the wheel based motors as the weight is off and the power is on those wheels. Front motors are known to slip and wheels are known to break spokes easily. Personally would go for mid motor.

I recommend getting a bike with internal gear hub. The chain and gears will wear down quicker than a regular bike

Brakes should be disk breaks otherwise you will be constantly adjusting your brakes.

Look at the overall bike and what you get. You will want mudguards so don't be fooled by a cheaper bike if you have more parts to buy.

The battery type is important. Make sure you can get a replacement in the future. The cube bike for example is only for their model, in 3 years will they still sell them. Who makes them too. Halfords bike seems to not name the manufacturers of motor nor battery.

I have a version of that Cube, it has the standard Bosch battery and motor, easily the most common version in Europe.

Have the bike 12 months, about 5000km in that time and cannot recommend it enough. Comfort and power as well as being very reliable. Only negative was the tyres; spent €85 upgrading them to Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

Excellent in the city (Drumcondra to Leopardstown) and have done a couple of 1000km tours on it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭what?

yep, good point...

I'm 120 kg, I live on Cork north city, reckon the rhino would be any assistance?
    I'm just about managing the hills on a regular bike, but I'm pissed off dealing with them
    What do you get for the base price, mudguards etc

• Advertisement

Gwildor wrote: »

I've seen a RadRhino zooming around Templogue Bridge. Is that you?

Serious machine. :D

what? wrote: »
    Sorry for the hijack OP
    Ta

Don't mind at all, I'm quiet interested in the bike. A hulk of a beast!

Don't mind at all, I'm quiet interested in the bike. A hulk of a beast!

It's not legal on the roads here. It has a 750w motor and a throttle. It's basically a moped.

I have seen them around Dublin and there was one for sale on Adverts too lately.

If you were interested in putting an upgrade kit on an ordinary bike there is also this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057998924

Again, you'll run into trouble with the legality of those kits on the road. I see a lot of delivery cyclists around Dublin flying around with them though.

I'm not sure the Gardai are all that interested in collaring people with those or the bikes mentioned above.

It's not legal on the roads here. It has a 750w motor and a throttle. It's basically a moped.

I have seen them around Dublin and there was one for sale on Adverts too lately.

If you were interested in putting an upgrade kit on an ordinary bike there is also this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057998924

Again, you'll run into trouble with the legality of those kits on the road. I see a lot of delivery cyclists around Dublin flying around with them though.

I'm not sure the Gardai are all that interested in collaring people with those or the bikes mentioned above.

That's what I was thinking/wondering but didn't want to ask in case it was obvious...
    So one can't buy it on the Bike to work scheme obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

Rutland Cycling have a decent range of ebikes on sale.

You'd need to factor in the convertion to £ Stg and add £80 for shipping but this Scott for example would be close to your budget.

Scott Sub Tour eRide

That's what I was thinking/wondering but didn't want to ask in case it was obvious...

That i do not know. I've heard that some workplaces will accept an invoice, so you could buy online, get the company to invoice you and that will suffice.

I'd say talk to your HR Department, or whoever is responsible for executing the scheme.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, if you buy something on the bike to work scheme that's legally not an e-bike, that's tax fraud.

Sorry for the hijack OP
    Ta

Yeah, no problem at all :)

yep, good point...

I'm 120 kg, I live on Cork north city, reckon the rhino would be any assistance?
    I'm just about managing the hills on a regular bike, but I'm pissed off dealing with them
    What do you get for the base price, mudguards etc

The Rhino is very powerful... As has been said above, it's a 750w motor that's been restricted to 25kph.
    You get mudguards, lights (including a brake light) and a pannier rack.

I've seen a RadRhino zooming around Templogue Bridge. Is that you?

Serious machine. :D

Na, not me. I can be seen terrorising slower folk on the Waterford Greenway on my way to work! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

OP have a look at http://wooshbikes.co.uk/. Your budget is on the low side but they make very good ebikes which are significantly cheaper than what you likely to find in most shops. Based in the UK but great customer service and maybe able to facilitate the bike to work scheme. Check out the Pedelecs.co.uk/forum for more information

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

KevRossi wrote: »
    I have a version of that Cube, it has the standard Bosch battery and motor, easily the most common version in Europe.

Have the bike 12 months, about 5000km in that time and cannot recommend it enough. Comfort and power as well as being very reliable. Only negative was the tyres; spent €85 upgrading them to Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

Excellent in the city (Drumcondra to Leopardstown) and have done a couple of 1000km tours on it as well.

Some Cube bikes use the standard Bosh battery but the one posted didn't. You can look up their website and see many of their models use batteries particular to the Cube.

It is important to note when buying an ebike that the battery can be easily replaced. My first ebike battery died and I couldn't replace it even though it was hugely popular model. Bosch does seem to be the leader in Europe.

i wonder if any of those companies which recondition batteries have copped on to the potential in this newish market.

Not as straightforward to rebuild a Proprietary Bosch type battery as they have the BMS built into the battery and if this loses charge the battery Is scrap. It’s important to provide a separate charge to the BMS while the battery is recelled. This is who is currently recommended

https://bga-reworking.co.uk/product/insat-li-nmc-ebike-battery-10ah-24v-36v-48v/

Interestingly I’ve read that they can squeeze a bit more power out of a Bosch battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Sorry I know it's a different question but will a hailong battery fit as a replacement for a Bosch power pack 500?

Not a hope. The Bosch system ‘talks’ to the battery. Also the connectors are all different.

Advertisement