Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI Cable - 4k & 20 metre length

Options
  • 06-11-2019 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi All,

I want to run a 4k hdmi cable from my tv to my sky box box in the attic. It will need to be approx 20 metre in length. Understand these cables are expensive. Where would be best to purchase?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
    SponsorGate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

Hi All,

I want to run a 4k hdmi cable from my tv to my sky box box in the attic. It will need to be approx 20 metre in length. Understand these cables are expensive. Where would be best to purchase?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
    SponsorGate
    https://www.freetv.ie/cables/hdmi/4k/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭andy1249

Hi All,

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
    SponsorGate

This is not going to work regardless of what cable you get.
    Standard passive HDMI cables only work for UHD/4K up to 8 meters , after that no passive cable will pass the necessary tests for UHD.

If you want to go longer than that you need an active cable , these have built in amplifiers to help boost the signal however these amplifiers require power and must steal this power from the source.

The problem here is that , as per rules of the HDMI spec , the HDMI 5v line is only required to supply 50 milliamps , which is enough for the screen EDID circuitry and no more.

Some devices supply more than 50 milliamps so there is extra power for active cables to steal , but some devices just supply the required 50 milliamps and cant afford to have power stolen , Sky boxes just supply the required 50 milliamps.

So no matter what type of cable you get , at 20 meters it will not work with a Sky box.
    For a working solution , the sky box is going to have to come down out of the attic and be moved to within 8 meters of the screen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I have the 10m version of this cable, it gives me 4k HDR all the way up to 4:4:2 10bit with no issue. Arrived in about a week.
    Can't comment on the 20m run, that is very long.
    When buying it, this was the cheapest source I could find

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073N1GQFH/ref=twister_B06XK7BPYW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement