Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infraction/Forum Ban Current Affairs.

• 06-11-2019 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

I have been forum banned from current affairs.

I was originally (and imo wrongly) infracted for saying that it "seemed" that a poster was batting for rapists for repeatedly ignoring a direct question posed to them. I would like to emphasise the use of the word seemed. I did not say that the poster actually was doing this, but that it seemed like they were. There is a big difference.
    I accused this poster of throwing women's rights under the bus, an accusation which I stand by.
    They aren't bothered because they don't know about the self id laws.

I hope you don't consider yourself an ally considering it seems you bat for rapists, your silence when asked this question:

[question asked by another poster]

speaks volumes. When it comes to self-id, you throw women under the bus.

Secondly, my post was deleted. This was unnecessary. I thus asked the same question again:
    Why have you consistently not answered this question posed to you?As I said (in my post that was seemingly deleted), that when it comes to rapists being able to self I'd, yiu throw women and their rights under the bus.

I was thus forum banned for "posting about a forbidden topic". I do not know what this "forbidden" topic is.

So I went from being infracted to suddenly being forum banned (I would have thought the next would be a thread ban).

Thirdly, I had interaction with Lefty Bicek. LB asked a certain poster to "answer the question". I replied "He won't". LB replied "He can't". All these posts have now been deleted. I have asked the mod who gave me my infraction and ban, Beasty, why this is on three occasions but received no answer. Can a Cmod please give me one, as the interaction breaks no forum or site rules.

To conclude: I dispute my initial infraction and the post being deleted (an infraction is a yellow card offence, no need to remove the post) and I dispute the forum ban as being too heavy handed for the reasons given. I would like to know why my interaction with Lefty Bicek was deleted as no rules were broken.

Sincerely,
    DanDan65.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,989 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies, but as the mod issuing the card and ban I cannot participate directly here, other than alerting you to that and to mention I will ask the relevant CMods to have a look

I can confirm we have reached an impasse in our direct discussions, and am happy for this to proceed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Beasty wrote: »
    Apologies, but as the mod issuing the card and ban I cannot participate directly here, other than alerting you to that and to mention I will ask the relevant CMods to have a look

I can confirm we have reached an impasse in our direct discussions, and am happy for this to proceed

No problem. Cheers for the response.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hi

I can look at this for you. Please forward (or post here) the pm exchange you had with the relevant mod where you attempted to resolve the issue.

I'll forward them now. They are all separate msgs so prepare for an influx into your inbox!

EDIT: There are another 2 msgs to be sent but I cannot send them on for another 10 minutes.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Hi

I can look at this for you. Please forward (or post here) the pm exchange you had with the relevant mod where you attempted to resolve the issue.

That is all PM's sent. I was on phone at time hence why it is not one long thread so apologies for spamming your inbox!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I cant really make out the conversation flow from the pms you sent. Is there more than one ban you're appealing here?

If you could send a chronological conversation that would be appreciated

I cant really make out the conversation flow from the pms you sent. Is there more than one ban you're appealing here?

If you could send a chronological conversation that would be appreciated

Ah here I'm not too bothered!! If Beasty is happy to undo the Forum ban I'll keep the infraction and thread ban?

If you can come to that agreement with Beasty then that is fine with me. Please do so by PM and let me know the outcome

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Ah here I'm not too bothered!! If Beasty is happy to undo the Forum ban I'll keep the infraction and thread ban?
    If you can come to that agreement with Beasty then that is fine with me. Please do so by PM and let me know the outcome

No resolution reached. Here is the Pm exchanges.

1. Beasty
    Dear DanDan6592,

You have been infracted for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this infraction you can see details on how to do so here.

Beasty

Moderator Note

"It seems you bat for rapists" - totally unacceptable

Post I was infracted for:
    They aren't bothered because they don't know about the self id laws.

I hope you don't consider yourself an ally considering it seems you bat for rapists, your silence when asked this question:

Posted by Orinico:
    "I'd be interested to know whether Joeytheparrot agrees with putting rapists into women's prisons, and how many sexual assaults he thinks would be OK as a result?"

It seems to me one side of this debate always work desperately hard not to answer simple questions like this. Yes or no would do, but we won't get a straight answer, you can be absolutely sure of that."

speaks volumes. When it comes to self-id, you throw women under the bus.

2. Me:
    Why was my post deleted?

3. Beasty:
    Because it contained inflammatory comments about another user

4. Me:
    No it didn't. The post said seems, it did not say definitely is. I also gave a reason as to why it seemed that way. It was not inflammatory.

Regardless I've had another posted deleted to, along with left bicek aswell.

5. Beasty:
    And if you are incapable of moderating your own behaviour then this site has moderators to do it for you, certainly in terms of site content

6. Me:
    That doesn't address my point. It said "seems", along with a reason as to what it seems that way. The poster is free to put the record straight in response to me. Thus it is not inflammatory.

Aswell as that, my response to left bicek, when he said "answer the question, and I replied" he won't" has been deleted along with his next response to me.
    Why has that happened?

I re-posted my question in the thread.

7. Beasty:
    Dear DanDan6592,

You have been banned from Current Affairs/IMHO for one month for posting about a forbidden topic.

There are some things we don't allow discussion about on Boards.ie.

Please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Beasty

Moderator Note

As I said separately, if you are incapable of moderating your own behaviour, we need to act to stop this sort of thing. If the only way to do that is by banning you then so be it

My Post:
    Why have you consistently not answered this question posed to you?

Posted by Orinico:
    "I'd be interested to know whether Joeytheparrot agrees with putting rapists into women's prisons, and how many sexual assaults he thinks would be OK as a result?"

It seems to me one side of this debate always work desperately hard not to answer simple questions like this. Yes or no would do, but we won't get a straight answer, you can be absolutely sure of that."

As I said (in my post that was seemingly deleted), that when it comes to rapists being able to self I'd, yiu throw women and their rights under the bus.

Note I went from a yellow card straight to a Forum ban. I was not thread banned first.

8. Beasty (in response to no. 6)
    Because of what it said. I act as a Moderator in the forum and I deemed it unaccespteble [sic]

9. Me:
    Yes, and I'm telling you why you shouldn't have. I'll be appealing both the infraction and ban. Can yiu inform me how to do this please.

Also why was my interaction with lefty bicek deleted aswell?

10. Beasty:
    You were attacking the poster. That's not allowed

You clearly do not want to discuss your behaviour further with me, and based on this interaction I am seeing no reason to re-consider either of the sanctions. I may have been prepared to reconsider the ban if you had indicated acceptance that what you did was inappropriate and gave some assurance over future behaviour, but I'm seeing no indication of that

Details of how to appeal are contained in the card and ban messages, and at the head of the Dispute Resolution forum

I was never informed why my interaction with Lefty Bicek was deleted.

Today's PM's.

1. Me:
    You happy to settle for this:

"Ah here I'm not too bothered!! If Beasty is happy to undo the Forum ban I'll keep the infraction and thread ban?"

2. Beasty:
    If you can give me some assurance that you will play the ball and not the man I'm happy to lift it based on time served

3. Me:
    I stand by what I said. I don't believe what I did was uncivil. However I will pause before posting next time and see if I can word what I am saying in a better way.

4. Beasty:
    Do you not understand? You were attacking to poster rather than the post. If you cannot accept this is not acceptable I cannot see any basis for lifting the ban

5. Me:
    How is saying it seems someone is doing something attacking the poster?

Again I did not say that they are batting for rapists, I said it seems like they are. That is not attacking the poster!!

6. Beasty:
    Of course it is and if you cannot accept that please revisit your DRP as I am not going to lift the ban without some acceptance that is the case

7. Me:
    Yet you cannot give a reason as to why it, you only say that it is.

Ok I will. However I believe it will be helpful if you firstly state why you believe it is attacking the poster?

I've said why it is not, because I said it "seems" as opposed to they actually are. There is a difference.

8. Beasty:
    You are indicating something that is derogatory. That is of course offensive to the poster it is aimed at

I'm really struggling here to understand why you think it's not. Maybe you think you're a smart rules lawyer?

It's blatantly offensive. If you really cannot accept that please return to the DRP as I've already wasted too much time on this

9. Me:
    No idea what a smart rules lawyer is or what you are even getting at. Presuming it's sarcasm it doesn't reflect well on an Administrator.

If it was indicating something that was derogatory it was based on a complete refusal to answer a question posed to that poster on numerous occasions. It was not posted based of nothing. It was a robust discussion.

The poster in question is seemingly happy for convicted rapists to be put in prison with women based on their support for self-id laws, thus why I said "it seems you bat for rapists". The poster on numerous occasions did not respond to the question originally posed, were they could have said they were not ok with this happening. If I was indicating anything there was reason to do so.

Regardless, back to dispute resolution.

Honest question

If I replied to a poster and said 'it seems you are an arsehole', would you consider it an abusive post?

• Advertisement

Was the poster being an arsehole? Depends what they have done imo.

Regardless, I shouldn't have gone from a yellow card straight to a forum ban imo.

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Was the poster being an arsehole? Depends what they have done imo.

And there is the problem right there. If someone is being an arsehole you do not get to call them out on it. You report the post and leave it up to the mod team.

Similarly you do not get to demand that someone engage with you. There may be good reason why someone will not engage with you (they may have you on ignore for a start) and therefore no reason to badger them for answers to questions.

A yellow card is the lightest action a mod can take. On that basis yellow card is upheld on which you can appeal to admin.

With respect to the ban I understand that the banning mod offered to reduce it to time served if you would acknowledge that your posting style was inappropriate and agree to amend it going forward.
    That seems like a fair offer to me. Let me know if you want this.

I didn't call out a poster for being an arsehole though? I didn't call them out for being anything. It is a false equivalence. I said it seemed they were batting for rapists, and this was based on their consistent refusal to answer a question posed to them (by another poster), their calling opinions they don't like transphobic in an attempt to shut down discussion and their support for self-id laws (thus allowing for convicted male rapists to be in prison with women).

Regardless, no I do not want that. I'd be happy for card to stand, thread ban to stand but forum ban removed if possible. Is it usual for one to go from a yellow card immediately to a month forum ban? Also I did say I would amend my posting style
    I stand by what I said. I don't believe what I did was uncivil. However I will pause before posting next time and see if I can word what I am saying in a better way.

Beasty wants me to accept that I was playing the man and not the ball and I disagree that I was.

Cheers for your time,
    DD

As I said there is no obligation on anyone to engage with you or anyone else.

We seem to be at an impasse. I see it as attacking the poster rather than the post but you do not. It was fairly minor in the greater scheme of things but it still breaks the rule for me. I am not sure how you can amend your posting style without understanding that your post was not acceptable in the first instance.
    Therefore, I am upholding the actions against you.

You may appeal to admin if you wish.

Hi. No I feel my time on boards has come to an end. Thanks for your time.

Advertisement