Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can this be plugged?

• 06-11-2019 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I have a screw in the back tyre.

Can it be plugged or is too close to the sidewall?

I can't post url's so have spaced out the below link, which links to the picture.

https:// ibb.co/ swxbNr9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have a screw in the back tyre.

Can it be plugged or is too close to the sidewall?

I can't post url's so have spaced out the below link, which links to the picture.

https:// ibb.co/ swxbNr9

New tyre needed there...

That in no way should be plugged or patched.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Septic tank

New tyre needed there...

That in no way should be plugged or patched.

New tyre it is so. Thanks

New tyre it is so. Thanks

Had similar with 2 brand new tyres...

Had similar with 2 brand new tyres...

It’s frustrating but such is life..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

jesus , two new tyres , thats just brutal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Is it holding air?, screw is in at a weird angle, does it actually going the whole through, patched a nearly new tyre in the same spot, never had an issue with it was replaced when worn out.

ml100 wrote: »
    Is it holding air?, screw is in at a weird angle, does it actually going the whole through, patched a nearly new tyre in the same spot, never had an issue with it was replaced when worn out.

It's illegal to do so on such s place.. it isn't safe.

DaDumTish wrote: »
    jesus , two new tyres , thats just brutal

A week apart so ended up 6 tyres....

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

It's illegal to do so on such s place.. it isn't safe.

It was done by a tyre retailer/garage!

ml100 wrote: »
    It was done by a tyre retailer/garage!

Well then I'd be staying well clear....

It must be in the ⅔ of the centre area....

No way it's safe believe me and they shouldn't have repaired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

Why is it unsafe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Cordell wrote: »
    Why is it unsafe?

Steel%20belt%20area.jpg

Why is it unsafe?

Because the forces put on the outer parts of the tyres from load and cornering it is an accident waiting to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

dont risk it , get a new one

I got the tyre changed last night.

Screw had gone fully through alright, it had dropped about 10 psi in 6 hours or so.

The front left tyre got damaged during the summer so I replaced both fronts at the time and kept the old front right which was fine, there was about 60% left on it. Just took that to a tyre centre last night and got them to swap the tyres and it’s at about the same level of wear as the other back tyre, so all good for the time being.

I’m going to order a spare wheel, annoying that cars don’t come with them anymore!

I got the tyre changed last night.

Screw had gone fully through alright, it had dropped about 10 psi in 6 hours or so.

The front left tyre got damaged during the summer so I replaced both fronts at the time and kept the old front right which was fine, there was about 60% left on it. Just took that to a tyre centre last night and got them to swap the tyres and it’s at about the same level of wear as the other back tyre, so all good for the time being.

I’m going to order a spare wheel, annoying that cars don’t come with them anymore!

Just so you're aware it's recommended to put new tyres on the rear.

Just so you're aware it's recommended to put new tyres on the rear.

Really? I’ve always just changed an axle at a time, whichever needs doing. I’ve never rotated tyres or anything. What’s the reason to throw them on the back?

Really? I’ve always just changed an axle at a time, whichever needs doing. I’ve never rotated tyres or anything. What’s the reason to throw them on the back?

Especially on front wheel drive as the danger of losing the rear especially in the wet....

Especially on front wheel drive as the danger of losing the rear especially in the wet....

So it’s just to keep the better set on the rear... I thought it would be better to have stronger tyres on the drive axle but I understand your logic. Never thought of it like that to be honest.

Do you rotate your tyres then??

So it’s just to keep the better set on the rear... I thought it would be better to have stronger tyres on the drive axle but I understand your logic. Never thought of it like that to be honest.

Do you rotate your tyres then??

I do.

Didnt always but had bad experience with better tyres on the front then the rear and let's say the car didn't make it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭J.R.

You learn something new every day ...I would have thought it was better to put the new ones on front axle to have better braking.

I do.

Didnt always but had bad experience with better tyres on the front then the rear and let's say the car didn't make it....

Ah, speaking from experience then. Sorry to hear that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I continue to put new on front.
    The theory 're putting them on the back is that it's easier to handle a car that slides a bit at the front. That s ok but I think the fronts need the tread to deal with standing water as they hopefully hit it first leaving the rears to follow in the cleared path. The front also have to deal with all sorts of steering inputs which can be a major reason for loss of grip together with poorly timed braking not go mention traction requirements in front drive cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I put them on rear. Hopefully OP won't ever be in a position to have to find out which is best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

I've had much more experience with a FWD car understeering that oversteering - the vast majority of this was on purpose however. Practice in a car park in the snow.

If you lose the rear on a FWD, which can happen with good tyres due to lower weight, there's not much you can do but steer into it and accelerate. At that point - you need good tyres on the front to recover it.

I've had much more experience with a FWD car understeering that oversteering - the vast majority of this was on purpose however. Practice in a car park in the snow.

If you lose the rear on a FWD, which can happen with good tyres due to lower weight, there's not much you can do but steer into it and accelerate. At that point - you need good tyres on the front to recover it.

Goes without saying you need good tyres front or back but it is recommended to put on the rear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

mickdw wrote: »
    I continue to put new on front.
    The theory 're putting them on the back is that it's easier to handle a car that slides a bit at the front. That s ok but I think the fronts need the tread to deal with standing water as they hopefully hit it first leaving the rears to follow in the cleared path. The front also have to deal with all sorts of steering inputs which can be a major reason for loss of grip together with poorly timed braking not go mention traction requirements in front drive cars.

I don't rotate tyres anymore and as the front tyres wear more than twice as fast as the rear I change the front tyres more regularly but do not put the new one on the rear. Maybe its because I'm older and more sensible on the road but I haven't experienced any major over steering incident since I adopted this practice. My biggest issue with tyres is maintaining traction with front tyres when the power goes down but I find Goodyear asymmetric tyres very good tyres in that respect. I very rarely see the esp light up now unless I do the dog on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

While there is a good technical argument to put the better tyres on the back, if that becomes something that matters you have a bigger problem.
    I rotate the tyres every year, the upside is that they wear evenly, the downside is that when I buy new tyres I buy all 4 at once.

While there is a good technical argument to put the better tyres on the back, if that becomes something that matters you have a bigger problem.
    I rotate the tyres every year, the upside is that they wear evenly, the downside is that when I buy new tyres I buy all 4 at once.

That to be honest is better as same grip then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement