Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Santa experience in Cork?

Options
  • 06-11-2019 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was planning on bring kids to Santa experience in Fota, heard some good reviews.

Just wondering if there's anywhere else that people would recommend over Fota please?

This article mentions Leahy’s Open Farm, Christmas Wonderland at The Farm (Grenagh), Cork North Pole Outpost (cobh).

Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

honestly, we went to Fota for years since it started and for years it went absolutely fantastic although the quality of the experience lessened year on year in my opinion.

until last year, we had heard from other parents about 1 particular Santa down there being absolutely terrible, we had the unfortunate luck of meeting him last year, he was so bad our 9 year old asked if Santa was real at all. She was right at that awkward age too so we were hoping it would reinforce her belief not remove it.

this year we are going to the Cork north pole outpost in Cobh, we've heard great reviews for it, there is also magical blarney people rave about, we've yet to hear any complaint at all about either of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Went to the Cork North Pole outpost in Cuskinny, Cobh last year. It was brilliant - couldn't fault it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What age are the kids?

Only my 5 year old would still be into santa, and for her the santa on the top of the dunnes stores in the city center has been pitched right for the last couple of years. Toddlers find it pretty good. They feed the plastic reindeers and the elves push them around the big plywood sleigh. Old school, but good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

pwurple wrote: »
    What age are the kids?

Only my 5 year old would still be into santa, and for her the santa on the top of the dunnes stores in the city center has been pitched right for the last couple of years. Toddlers find it pretty good. They feed the plastic reindeers and the elves push them around the big plywood sleigh. Old school, but good craic.

This is cheap too as you only pay for the kids - is it still €10 ? Went a few years back and it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Have gone to Griffins Dripsey with our now 4.5 and 2.5 year olds for the last few years. If we go this year it will cost us €42 including photo. Wouldn't spend much more than that as the kids are too young to get much out of the other "experiences"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

We’re going to Griffins as well. One of my friends takes her kids every year and raves about it.

Karmella wrote: »
    This is cheap too as you only pay for the kids - is it still €10 ? Went a few years back and it was grand.

It's €12 now, and they joined the rest of them in now charging for adults too... 6 euro each.

Dunnes santa

It's €12 now, and they joined the rest of them in now charging for adults too... 6 euro each.

Dunnes santa

Online booking fee of €3.95 so much for Dunnes Better Value. Price for 2 kids, 2 adults & photo it comes to just shy of €54 so €12 dearer than if we were to go back to Griffins for a similar package. The issue with Griffins also is that you will probably spend a bit of money in their cafe or if you are green fingered in the Garden centre. Parking is free and a similar distance from where we are living to the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Ardmore open farm is great for Santa we went last year , you get the farm , play zone inside lots of Christmas fun and a visit to Santa in one of the glampling pods . Would really recommend it it was so magical and plenty of parking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Dunnes santa

Ah for feck’s sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Went to the Cork North Pole outpost in Cuskinny, Cobh last year. It was brilliant - couldn't fault it.

This. Lovely venue, magical atmosphere. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Brought the grandchildren to Fota in 2017. It really was excellent - even good fun for the adults. Brought them again last year and it really had declined. Not bringing them there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Leahys farm is brilliant bring my kids there every year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Fota is rubbish and overpriced we are going to Griffins this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

We have fota booked this year after missing it last year. Hopefully it’s good, we have been twice before and found it to be good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

A bit further out, but Tir na Si in Watergrasshill is pretty good. There is the farm, outdoor play (weather permitting) indoor play and then Santa. We found it very good value last year as it included a kids meal (and the food there is excellent) but I notice this year, they have dropped the kids meal, so not quite as good value.

Has anyone been to the Santa in Doneraile Court? It looks nice too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

We have been to Fota the last few years and it has nothing on the Cork North Pole Outpost Experience, we went this evening with our two girls and had the most amazing 2 hours, well worth what we paid for it too,

i'll spoiler the experience details in case people like being surprised:
    it starts off with a very reasonably priced hut shop/stop where you can buy snacks/hot chocolate we got an Elf made chocolate bar (made by O'Conaill's carrigaline which i thought was a nice touch) and some popcorn, there were picnic tables and bench's to sit at and a fire heater in the middle, our girls loved this and as parents we were delighted and surprised at not being fleeced on the price as it's the only food stall there. Our girls got to do some colouring while we waited which while it is a small and simple gesture it was a very welcome one to pass the (short) waiting time.

we then met our elf who started us on our journey and tonight he was top notch, he had us relaxed and ready to scream/dance/sing/wiggle before we even started the experience (adults included and all, which the children loved and laughed at us)

as we moved from room to room it was incredible the Elves there really made our night and even helped the younger ones partake so easily, while keeping the older ones entertained too, they loved sorting the Santa letters the best.

Mrs.Claus was incredibly patient and kind with the younger ones some of whom were particular with their food about that part of the experience, she was really good and they served cookies for the kids that they could decorate and Tea's/coffee's/biscuits (for the adults)

Mr. Claus was WONDERFUL, my youngest actually spoke to him and went up to him and sat for a photo with him, we got our first family Christmas photo where she wasn't crying in it! and as for my skeptical 10 year old....she walked out saying he was the real deal, and they both loved and really appreciated the surprise at the end, The Santa presents were brilliant too, this is definitely an idea all the others should use because it worked PERFECTLY.

CNPOE just hit's all the right notes. We left with 2 very happy children and 2 very very happy adults, was exactly what you would expect from a visit to Santa and well worth it's price. Our only regret is we didn't make the switch to this one sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Gru wrote: »
    We have been to Fota the last few years and it has nothing on the Cork North Pole Outpost Experience, we went this evening with our two girls and had the most amazing 2 hours, well worth what we paid for it too,

CNPOE just hit's all the right notes. We left with 2 very happy children and 2 very very happy adults, was exactly what you would expect from a visit to Santa and well worth it's price. Our only regret is we didn't make the switch to this one sooner.

We've been twice in previous years and going again this year.
    It's lovely and the kids are occupied and giggling from start to finish.
    The free range elf signs on the road in have my 2 terrified we might run one over so we have to do about 5kph in lol.
    It's very old fashioned which we really liked and while it isn't cheap, it's cheaper than others.

Hopefully the kids enjoy it as much as the previous years.

Went to CNPOE in Cuskinny and we were disappointed to be honest.

I don't think it's got the magic of the one in Dunnes in the city at all.

I didn't realise that the first 40 minutes of the CNPE 'experience' are outdoors, as the ticket clearly states it's indoors, but to wear sensible shoes. We went last night, it was bitterly, bitterly cold, with a wind whipping around. We arrived 15 mins before as they had advised. We had coats , but were not expecting to be standing outdoors for 40 minutes so no gloves or hats etc. The coffee area was absolutely baltic and the greeter tent was just miserable. The poor elf did her best, but the kids were huddled together shivering, and guys kept coming up saying another 10 mins, 5 mins, another 2 mins etc.

None of the rooms we were led through seemed to have their routine planned or timed, they were trying to expand time in some places, cut off mid-sentence in others. Generally got the impression of complete chaos. The workshop elves were positively rude to eachother

In the city Dunnes santa, you fill out a form in advance with info about your child for santa. Name, teachers name, what they like (swimming etc) and what they have asked for from santa. Santa AMAZES them then by knowing that info when they go in. Simple but effective. There was NONE of that in Cuskinny. In , hi santa, photo op, out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

We went to Leahy's Open Farm last night - first time there after years of alternating Cuskinny and Dunnes. Leahy's blew the other two away TBH - definitely in a different league. Cuskinny is local to us so handy out......but we'll be trekking to Leahy's again next year I'd say.

• Advertisement

Most appeared to be cancelled this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Cork Arts Theatre are doing a really good thing where you can get a personalised Santa video from them. It's personalised for your particular son/daughter and I think they get a little certificate to confirm that they're on the "good list". It's a great idea, especially as they're struggling to pay their bills without any shows or audiences.

A friend of mine did it and apparently the reaction to it was very very good. Details are on their GoFundMe page, you email them and they organise it with delivery up to Dec 15th according to the page: https://ie.gofundme.com/f/save-cork-arts-theatre

We went to Leahy's Open Farm last night - first time there after years of alternating Cuskinny and Dunnes. Leahy's blew the other two away TBH - definitely in a different league. Cuskinny is local to us so handy out......but we'll be trekking to Leahy's again next year I'd say.

Took our pair to Leahy's on Saturday and they loved it. Santa was great and then we spent hours on the train, diggers, go carts, zip lines etc after. Great day and brilliantly organised with loads of room and no queues.

Anyone been to this one Santacork.ie | Santa Cork (clr.events) Where are people thinking of going this year?

Advertisement