Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

That 2-2 Denmark Sweden match Euro 2004

• 06-11-2019 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I remember a match between Denmark and Sweden that apparently needed to finish 2-2 so they would both go through at the expense of Italy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2004

I remember this and understanding it at the time, but now looking at the table why wouldn't a 1-1 or a 3-3 etc have produced the same ?

They still would have beaten Italy on Goal Diff , which is what it goes to on a 3 team tie.

494658.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It depended on goals scored in matches between teams on equal points. The first two criteria had already been met.

A 1-1 would have suited Sweden but Denmark might have been out if Italy had trashed Bulgaria.

AFAIR a 2-2 or any higher scoring draw meant both teams went through.

I could be wrong but I think they gave it a good go until the end, it was certainly no Austria - West Germany in 1982.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I though the 13-1 would be more dodgy myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

ah so it was 2-2 or higher ... ok that makes sense ...
    So GS had higher prority than GD between the 3 teams ?? weird ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

No.

First criteria was points
    Second was GD for teams with equal points
    Third goals scored between teams on equal points

First 2 criteria had been met if Denmark and Sweden drew, all that was needed was a 2-2 or above score.

It’s 15 years ago, but my opinion is that the match wasn’t fixed or set up in any way, or they were bloody good at hiding it.

Not much love lost between Scandinavians IMO, not as bad as England ~ Scotland or Holland - Germany but the fans would be quite happy to see another Nordic team knocked out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

KevRossi wrote: »
    It’s 15 years ago, but my opinion is that the match wasn’t fixed or set up in any way, or they were bloody good at hiding it.

I don't think it was but subconsciously your not going to try your best if you & your opponent know they are safe if nothing happens for the rest of the game.

• Advertisement

yeah but 1-1 still gives them the same GD, Denmark still beat Italy on GD and go through.

1-1 with Italy winning 2-1 would have still been enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

TomSweeney wrote: »
    yeah but 1-1 still gives them the same GD, Denmark still beat Italy on GD and go through.

1-1 with Italy winning 2-1 would have still been enough.

No, as the three teams were level on points, you have to form a table of the results between the 3 teams only. In other words, exclude their results v Bulgaria.

Sweden and Italy drew 1-1 and Italy and Denmark drew 0-0. Therefore Italy were ‘finished’ and had 2 points and scored 1 goal. They couldn’t change that. By Sweden and Denmark drawing it meant all three teams would have 2 points, so would come down to goals scored. As Denmark had 0 goals from their match with Italy they needed to score twice v Sweden (Sweden would have gone through with a 1-1 or 0-0).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

My favourite is this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbados_4–2_Grenada_(1994_Caribbean_Cup_qualification)

Bizarre qualification rules meant that one team was trying to score own goals, with the other team trying to stop them :D

And then the situation reversed!

My favourite is this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbados_4–2_Grenada_(1994_Caribbean_Cup_qualification)

Bizarre qualification rules meant that one team was trying to score own goals, with the other team trying to stop them :D

And then the situation reversed!

:D

Advertisement