Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade of GPU on one year old system or not

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

It all depends on what resolution and refresh rate he is gaming at.
    For example if its a 1080 60hz monitor a 2060 or 2070 wont really make a huge difference as im sure hes probably getting 60fps already?
    If on the other hand hes running @ 1440 and 144hz then yes he will see a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Damien360

Dcully wrote: »
    It all depends on what resolution and refresh rate he is gaming at.
    For example if its a 1080 60hz monitor a 2060 or 2070 wont really make a huge difference as im sure hes probably getting 60fps already?
    If on the other hand hes running @ 1440 and 144hz then yes he will see a difference.

They are 24” and 22” displays 1080 60Hz and modern warfare beta was running 70fps on ultra settings with a lot of detail. To me it looked very good. But then I’m a PS4 player and not a user of this pc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

As i said if he is already maxing out the monitors capability then your literally wasting money.
    If for example he gets a more powerful GPU that extra potential framerate is lost as the monitor is a 60hz monitor 60hz=60fps [once hardware can do monitors refresh rate ie hz]

You say he gets 70 fps as it is well hes actually only getting 60 because the monitor is a 60hz monitor.

If he had a 144hz monitor which i thoroughly recommend for shooter games in particular but any games really then yes a new GPU would be great as then he would have a ceiling of 144fps 144hz which is simply beautiful to game at.

I hope this helps you in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Fast-paced FPS games do tend to benefit from faster client-side FPS, but if you're playing competitive you'd put most settings on Low anyway so GTX 1060 6Gb should be fine for now.

I'd suggest a nice mouse & headset instead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah if you have a standard full HD monitor and it's just 60hz playing at 100fps or whatever won't make any difference unless you have a monitor that is 120 or 144hz.

If he wants a good upgrade i would probably consider something like a 1440p/60hz or 1080p/144hz monitor plus a new card like a 1660 super. Then you can have the best of both worlds for not mad money, huge graphics power upgrade and the ability to either run at higher resolution or framerate and actually see the difference.

Dropping in a 2060 super now would be be largely wasted. if he plans sticking with the current monitor a 1660 super alone is a huge upgrade but it won't make any change at all to call of duty, it will run at 100fps rather than 70fps or whatever, but you won't see or feel any difference on that monitor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement