Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

THE GAY BYRNE HOUR- Your Memories

• 06-11-2019 7:15pm

In light of his recent passing, would love to hear of people's memories of The Gay Byrne hour radio show.

It was certainly a huge part of my youth. I longed to be off school sick so i could sit by the transistor radio and listen to:
    • People donating washing machines and other items for charity based on call-outs from Gay
    • The Mystery Sound that went up by 1 pound per day
    • A letter from a farmers wife who went abroad and had sex with a different man every day for a week- and wanted to know what Gay thought of it all (early 80's I think- I was off sick for that programme and remember it well.
    • People's letters in general that Gay read out
    • The special programme devoted to letters from women, old and young, post Ann Lovett death (RIP

What are your memories of this programme? I'd love to hear them.

Comments

Dear Frankie.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

In light of his recent passing, would love to hear of people's memories of The Gay Byrne hour radio show.

It was certainly a huge part of my youth. I longed to be off school sick so i could sit by the transistor radio and listen to:
    • People donating washing machines and other items for charity based on call-outs from Gay
    • A letter from a farmers wife who went abroad and had sex with a different man every day for a week- and wanted to know what Gay thought of it all (early 80's I think- I was off sick for that programme and remember it well.
    • The special programme devoted to letters from women, old and young, post Ann Lovett death (RIP

Ah, the mystery sound and the clatter of excitement when it hit a tenner!

I remember the Ann Lovett show - it was an amazing bit of radio.

My abiding memory though was of it being on every morning on our big wooden radio with the bulb in it that we had for donkey's years, my mother would never miss that show.
    And that intro tune...
    Is there anywhere that has good archives of the show beides the clips on rte.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

"The Gay Byrne Hour" (later "The Gay Byrne Show") on RTÉ Radio 1 signature tune was called "Tico's Tune" which was apparently a "B" Side to a single, issued in 1965. The performer is Manuel and the Music of the Mountains, aka Geoff Love

Have a listen back to the theme music here and let those happy childhood memories come flooding back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF-uZuce5R0

I still remember when time was running short towards the end of his radio programme and the theme music would come on as he would be wrapping things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

In the days before we had the internet and many of us hadn't even got tape recorders, the regular 100 question bank holiday quiz was the quiz of all quizzes.

In the days before we had the internet and many of us hadn't even got tape recorders, the regular 100 question bank holiday quiz was the quiz of all quizzes.

Ah yes, I forgot all about that - I'm sure my parents used attempt it. Maybe I am getting it mixed up - was it also published in one of the broadsheet newspapers back in the day? Who could forget Gay's famous Christmas Cake recipe - And don't forget to test if the Whiskey is okay?? His show used not start til around 09:10am and would run until 11:00am in it's later years. I think an earlier version of The Pat Kenny Show used come on after 11am news bulletin followed by "Harbour Hotel" although; my memory is sketchy as down in Cork in those days we had an opt-out service, RTÉ Cork Local Radio (Cork 89FM) with Corkabout Noon with Alf McCarthy & Donna O'Sullivan which ran until the News at One Thirty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I remember The Glenabbey show more tbh...loved the Frank Kelly scetches....although the Ma loved Gaybo....

I remember The Glenabbey show more tbh...loved the Frank Kelly scetches....although the Ma loved Gaybo....

I gather The Glenabbey show was RTÉ's political satire programme in the days before "Hall's Pictorial Weekly" which featured the likes of Frank Kelly, Eamonn Morrissey, Frank Hall not to mention the excellent animation illustrations on display by artist Terry Willers towards the end of each show. Later we got "Ballymagash" with most of same character actors and then we got Scrap Saturday on RTÉ Radio 1 on Saturdays with Dermot Morgan Gerry Stembridge, Pauline McLynne. Later into the 90's we got "Bull Island" on RTÉ but I got tired of them taking off weather forecaster Gerald Flemming and Mary O'Rourke nearly every week!

Gaybo loved political satire and stand-up comedy routines and often showcased new talent such as Tommy Tiernan all those years ago on The Late Late Show and must have got into trouble with RTÉ senior management at times if and when the material was too risqué.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

In the days before Liveline, Gay was a voice for the plain people of the nation and he regularly went in to bat for a listener who had a problem with a shop or government department, or whatever.

My granny used to swear by the power of Gaybo - a mention that she would give the GB Hour a call, would usually lead to a swift resolution of any argument that she might be having with officialdom.

I remember Joe Duffy starting out as a young(er) reporter on the GB Hour too. Joe was Gay's out of studio presence and he would do any running around on air that needed to be done, reporting from various locations.

He used to say that he was Gay's representative on earth.... he is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

Here's a nice interview Gay did with Gerry Ryan. Gay Byrne was a broadcasting genius, better than Carson, Wogan and Parkinson combined. https://youtu.be/l1kyeYkyb8M

"T
    I still remember when time was running short towards the end of his radio programme and the theme music would come on as he would be wrapping things up.

Yes indeed it would- thanks for that reminder. Had a look on the archives on RTE pretty much nothing in terms of recordings- found just one that doesn't play and even then it's only 2 minutes.

As a licence payer, this is the sort of service RTE should be providing to us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I remember three things.

1. A bakery when I was a kid that used to always have it on when we went in. It's now an Abra.
    2. The voices that Gay used to put on when imitating the Dubalin callers and texters :o letter writers that contacted the show.
    3. The way that he occasionally showed his teeth, that bit of bite that he had in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

I know it's from The Late Late but did Gay invent saying "Good night and God Bless"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Thought I’d throw this memory in. I remember not long after national lottery scratch cards were launched that Gay and a few other ( probably researchers) scratched hundreds of cards from a few rolls of lottery cards they bought. They wanted to see how many cash prizes were in the roll and how much money you would have to spend to get a return. Just recall only 2 pound prizes being scratched.
    Must have been off school to hear that particular show.

The theme tune was my final warning to get out the door for school. Lived ten minutes from the school and would usually be finishing brekkie when the show would start!

I remember three things.

1. A bakery when I was a kid that used to always have it on when we went in. It's now an Abra.
    2. The voices that Gay used to put on when imitating the Dubalin callers and texters :o letter writers that contacted the show.
    3. The way that he occasionally showed his teeth, that bit of bite that he had in him.

My memory of some of his habits include:

1. And there's ONE for everybody in da audience! (Late Late Show giveaways)
    2. I'm all excira & delira! (excited and delighted)
    3. "Would you Roll it there Collette" (on camera) which later changed to Róisín!
    4. We'll take a break, come back to us after this!
    5. Ho Ho, Ho Ho, Ho Ho!!
    6. Asking Denis (Floor Manager on Late Late Show?) what's next?
    7. Here is just a random selection, a taste - we couldn't possibly include everything - a master at knowing when to dampen down expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

My favourite bit of The Gay Byrne Show, as it would have been at that stage, was the Bank Holiday Quiz. That was a point of discussion between members of my family and one or two relations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Sundew wrote: »
    [...]
    The theme tune was my final warning to get out the door for school. Lived ten minutes from the school and would usually be finishing brekkie when the show would start!

On your marks, set ... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭emo72

Him and Vincent Browne used to hold authority to account. That's all finished now. I did love gay Byrne but was a bit shocked when he put the boot into Annie Murphy.

Nice article written about GB Radio Show under the below link taken from Entertainment section of RTÉ.ie

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0729/1065808-gay-byrne-on-the-radio-was-essential-listening/

My memory was that the show was not billed to start until 09:10am on weekdays although; when the Gay Byrne radio show ended it's run, I think Marian Finucane then switched from Liveline and and held the weekday slot for a while from 09:00-10:00am (Joe Duffy replaced Marian on Liveline).

emo72 wrote: »
    Him and Vincent Browne used to hold authority to account. That's all finished now. I did love gay Byrne but was a bit shocked when he put the boot into Annie Murphy.

Other journalists at RTÉ that used hold politicians to account also included the late Brian Farrell, John Bowman, Olivia O'Leary, David Hanly, Cathal MacCoille, Pat Kenny (now Newstalk/Virgin Media TV), David Davin-Power, Charlie Bird, the late Gerald Barry (This Week).
    I often feel that most of today's journalists are not as passionate as the likes of Gay Byrne, Vincent Browne and others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I remember Gay used to play some woeful music.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

"The Gay Byrne Hour" (later "The Gay Byrne Show") on RTÉ Radio 1 signature tune was called "Tico's Tune" which was apparently a "B" Side to a single, issued in 1965. The performer is Manuel and the Music of the Mountains, aka Geoff Love

Have a listen back to the theme music here and let those happy childhood memories come flooding back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF-uZuce5R0

Thanks for that. I just listened to it, smiling. Lots of nice memories.
    May Gaybo rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Zird

Gayb0 retired from the daily radio show very young by today's standards at 64. Joe Duffy is 64 next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Zird wrote: »
    Gayb0 retired from the daily radio show very young by today's standards at 64. Joe Duffy is 64 next year.

Gay was doing radio shows for 40 years when he retired. Duffy has being presenting his own show (not counting his previous resercher/reporter work) for give or take 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭patob

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I remember Gay used to play some woeful music.

I liked his mix of old Jazz from 30s and 40s, a bit of swing from 50s, Sinatra in particular and a bit of Irish stuff from early to mid 60s, remember him playing Dickie Rocks early hits frequently. Probably why I enjoyed him on Lyric in latter years and to listen to his musings on politics, Aircraft and stories from the old Jazz era. Remember his amusing story about John Bercow incident. Not many presenters around with that presenting style knowledge and charisma. RIP

patob wrote: »
    I liked his mix of old Jazz from 30s and 40s, a bit of swing from 50s, Sinatra in particular and a bit of Irish stuff from early to mid 60s, remember him playing Dickie Rocks early hits frequently. Probably why I enjoyed him on Lyric in latter years and to listen to his musings on politics, Aircraft and stories from the old Jazz era. Remember his amusing story about John Bercow incident. Not many presenters around with that presenting style knowledge and charisma. RIP

Gay was also probably trying to hold on to listeners of Frankie Byrne's Jacob's programme as she apparently was a huge fan of Frank Sinatra (Ole Blues Eyes) and used play him all the time. I still recall the theme tune of that programme and her reading out letters starting with: "Dear Frankie..." on what was probably then called RTÉ Radio (RTÉ Radio 1 station name only created when RTÉ Radio 2 was launched in May 1979)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Expunge

I spoke to a long retired RTE radio producer who told me that part of their job was to make up letters for the GB and other shows. These would be read out by the presenter to get a debate going and would be quickly followed by genuine letters.
    Some of the callers to this and other programmes of the time may not have been kosher either.
    I expect this and other stories of professional sharp practice to come out in the papers after a while.

patob wrote: »

From time to time, Gay Byrne did throw in some pop music on his Radio 1 show. I remember, when I was going swimming with my school, hearing on the bus Tiger Feet by Mud being played on his show!

Expunge wrote: »
    I spoke to a long retired RTE radio producer who told me that part of their job was to make up letters for the GB and other shows. These would be read out by the presenter to get a debate going and would be quickly followed by genuine letters.
    Some of the callers to this and other programmes of the time may not have been kosher either.
    I expect this and other stories of professional sharp practice to come out in the papers after a while.

It a bit like "plants" (not the green leafed ones) used in the studio audience of The Late Late Show on RTÉ One TV to cause a stir or hype things up. Sometimes you copped on that it was probably "a plant" deliberately seated in the audience but there were times when you could not be certain. Radio shows probably still have them on phone-in shows too I suspect calling in about an issue and perhaps taking an unusual angle or airing a controversial viewpoint in order to help the audience ratings.

Expunge wrote: »

The morning show had a huge listenership of 100,000's ; Gay became a confidant to (mostly) housewives all over Ireland. I don't think they had a need to make things up. I'm sceptical let's say, for the time being about that story.

Some great memories guys coming through on this thread so do keep them coming.
    However, absolutely NO GB shows on the RTE player that I can find- (there's a couple of minutes of one, but i can't get it playing but that's it)
    Anyone have any recordings they wish to share?

• Advertisement

Ger Roe wrote: »
    In the days before Liveline, Gay was a voice for the plain people of the nation and he regularly went in to bat for a listener who had a problem with a shop or government department, or whatever.

My granny used to swear by the power of Gaybo - a mention that she would give the GB Hour a call, would usually lead to a swift resolution of any argument that she might be having with officialdom.

I remember Joe Duffy starting out as a young(er) reporter on the GB Hour too. Joe was Gay's out of studio presence and he would do any running around on air that needed to be done, reporting from various locations.

He used to say that he was Gay's representative on earth.... he is now.

Yes indeed to all of that. Common expression back in the day when consumers had issues with commercial suppliers - "I"m ringing Gay Byrne" ! :D

It must be remembered that Marion Finucane was the original Live Line person - not sure was it the early 80's she started that show does anyone know?
    I do remember the GB show before Joe arrived- he was roving reporter for various features up and down the country, similar to Brenda and The Gerry Ryan Show, although i always thought Brenda was just super on the GY show- was never a Joe Duffy fan and still not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Used to love the mystery voice. We had no phone at home at the time so no point in writing in with a guess, as he used to call one person every day until the prize was won.

Used to love the mystery voice. We had no phone at home at the time so no point in writing in with a guess, as he used to call one person every day until the prize was won.

So remind me BB (can I call you BB? :D) - was it the mystery sound or the mystery voice, or did he have both or am I confusing different shows? Someone on RTE definitely had a mystery sound but I thought the GB show had the mystery voice.
    I posted "mystery sound" in my opening post but actually pretty sure I should have said Mystery voice- sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm a little bit young for memories of the Gay Byrne Hour, but I remember when Jennifer Guinness was kidnapped in the eighties she was adamant that the Gay Byrne Hour saved her sanity during her Illegal incarceration by non other than Christy Kinahan, now of drug lord "Dapper Don" fame!! I was learning to sail in Howth at the time in tiny Optimus dinghy's instructed by Jennifers daughter.

The family had great respect for Unkey Gaybo...

Not so much for Kinahan.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm a little bit young for memories of the Gay Byrne Hour, but I remember when Jennifer Guinness was kidnapped in the eighties she was adamant that the Gay Byrne Hour saved her sanity during her Illegal incarceration by non other than Christy Kinahan, now of drug lord "Dapper Don" fame!! I was learning to sail in Howth at the time in tiny Optimus dinghy's instructed by Jennifers daughter.

Not so much for Kinahan.

That's the sort of memory that's now on the inter web forever more, and which you'd probably not find unless there's a book out there with that reference in it. Thanks for posting it- a nice historical posting.

Yes indeed to all of that. Common expression back in the day when consumers had issues with commercial suppliers - "I"m ringing Gay Byrne" ! :D

It must be remembered that Marion Finucane was the original Live Line person - not sure was it the early 80's she started that show does anyone know?
    I do remember the GB show before Joe arrived- he was roving reporter for various features up and down the country, similar to Brenda and The Gerry Ryan Show, although i always thought Brenda was just super on the GY show- was never a Joe Duffy fan and still not.

I think LiveLine began around 1985 with Marian Finucane as presenter and the programme originally went out from 1:45pm - 2:45pm. Joe Duffy took over January 1999 if I recall as it was all change when Gay Byrne retired from his long running RTÉ Radio 1 morning programme on Christmas Eve 1998 on Grafton Street. Marian transferred from Liveline to weekday mornings for a while in the 09:00 - 10:00am slot before eventually moving to Sat/Sun 11:00-1:00pm.

Incidentally, I think The Gerry Ryan Show which began on RTÉ Radio 2FM in March 1988 had two roving reporters (1) Brenda Donoghue and (2) Barbara Jordan.

Interesting newspaper article from The Irish Times on January 5, 1999
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/all-is-changed-changed-predictably-at-rte-1.142728

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

So remind me BB (can I call you BB? :D) - was it the mystery sound or the mystery voice, or did he have both or am I confusing different shows? Someone on RTE definitely had a mystery sound but I thought the GB show had the mystery voice.
    I posted "mystery sound" in my opening post but actually pretty sure I should have said Mystery voice- sorry.[/quot

You certainly can call me BB! I am not 100% certain but I think you could be right that it was called the mystery sound but I do remember him playing snippets of voices.

You certainly can call me BB! I am not 100% certain but I think you could be right that it was called the mystery sound but I do remember him playing snippets of voices.

I'm thinking you're more right that i was - i.e. that it was the mystery voice over the mystery sound- we'll wait for someone to tell us definitely.

I'm thinking that it was Gerry Ryan that did the mystery sound so I'm thinking it was Gay that did the mystery voice.

Funny how the mind plays tricks on you.

Not so much for Kinahan.

I was just reading about that kidnapping recently in a book! You are wrong about Christy Kinahan. The gang was led by John Cunningham, aka "The Colonel". The rest of the gang consisted of Michael Cunninghan, Anthony Kelly and Brian McNicholl. John Cunningham was to get involved in the drugs trade like Christy Kinahan. I just double-checked the book. It's Gangland by Paul Williams, in case you are wondering.

I also should have added that before Marian Finucane began on LiveLine in the mid-1980's she would have made a name for herself airing the social issues of the day and women were given a voice on shows like "Women Today" and I think she may have been involved in presenting another programme called "Women Talking" too at one stage. Marian qualified as an architect before joining RTÉ as an on-air continuity announcer on RTÉ tv back in the day. When Garda Patrol was succeeded by "Crime Line" I think Finucane was it's original presenter in the revised format.

Marian's career profile below here: (up to 2006)
    http://www.village.ie/People/Profiles/Marian_Finucane_profiled/

https://www.independent.ie/style/weddings/and-the-bride-wore-black-marian-finucane-weds-partner-john-clarke-in-dublin-30922021.html

I was just reading about that kidnapping recently in a book! You are wrong about Christy Kinahan. The gang was led by John Cunningham, aka "The Colonel". The rest of the gang consisted of Michael Cunninghan, Anthony Kelly and Brian McNicholl. John Cunningham was to get involved in the drugs trade like Christy Kinahan. I just double-checked the book. It's Gangland by Paul Williams, in case you are wondering.

Ah... thanks for the correction Declan. I think they were only linked to Kinahan.

What's the book?

• Advertisement

Ah... thanks for the correction Declan. I think they were only linked to Kinahan.

What's the book?

I said it in my last sentence! Gangland by Paul Williams. That was his second published book, the first being The General.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Baking the Christmas cake and puddings.

Take another drink of the whiskey.

I said it in my last sentence! Gangland by Paul Williams. That was his second published book, the first being The General.

Sorry! Long day.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Baking the Christmas cake and puddings.

Take another drink of the whiskey.

It's that time of year alright :D:D

You have to sample the whiskey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭narmst

Does anyone remember or have a link to the German marching tune he starting playing for a while .. I’d say it was around 82-85 .. it was really weird and it didn’t fit in with anything else but somehow it was catchy and I’d love to hear it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Kalimah

The only German marching tune I can think of is Erika. You’ll find it on YouTube.
    Could be something by James Last either- being German and a band leader!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,429 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Shan Doras

At 64 years of age in 1998, Gay retired pretty young from the daily radio show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Shan Doras

I remember in the mid-late 90s, Gareth O'Callaghan was being groomed to take over from Gay on the radio but Tubs came along and eat his lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭narmst

that’s the one thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement