Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New plastic bag levy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'll pay whatever for the paper cups. Drinking out of those horrible lifetime ones isn't the same.

It's like those godawful paper straws now.

Shyte and if you have something like a milkshake they disintegrate before you even get halfway through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

If the government didn’t tax plastic bags they’d find something else to tax. Why does the government hit the least threatening environmental scourges and ignore more serious threats? New super-absorbent material in diapers contains all leachable toxic materials in landfills. But it does make people on the left feel virtuous, I guess... never mind the expense or inconvenience for everyone else.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

dvdman1 wrote: »
    Plastic bags and the likes shouldn't be produced in the 1st place, ban them outright

Also how much co2 does it take to produce them reusable bags, some cheap ones are loaded with plastic

According to the last comparison I saw (don't have the link to hand) the most environmentally damaging shopping bags are the re-usable cotton tote-type because ... they're made from cotton, one of the thirstiest crops on the planet, and mostly grown in places where water is scarce.
    Tesco Bags For Life are absolute shit. They should be called 'Bag Until The Corner of A Pizza Box Rips It Into Shite'.
    shanec1928 wrote: »
    They have banned plastic bags in Kenya. Surly we can do it also.
    It's a partial ban: they still provide proper, decent quality bags at the till, which I use all the time here at home (in France) because our local supermarkets' bags obviously come from the same supplier of crappy bags as Tesco. Ultimate irony: my Kenyan bags came from the French supermarket, Carrefour ... :rolleyes:

But even though you'll see precious few plastic bags in Kenya, the amount of plastic bottles! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

listermint wrote: »
    The reusable bags co2 production is nonsense most are kept for years going through thousands of uses.

Smacking a drum about plastic content is silly.

A few dozen uses more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Does anyone else get that nostalgic feeling when they see a plastic shopping bag in a ditch. I remember driving through the country side in the 80s and it was one of the main features, part of our culture. But times do change and I have to accept we have moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's like those godawful paper straws now.

I read recently that the ones used in McDonalds are not actually recyclable, unlike the plastic straws they replaced.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I wonder if this will increase the street value of the six thousand bags for life currently residing in a drawer in my kitchen.

If nothing else, it might encourage the likes of me to remember to bring bags when I go shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Stheno wrote: »
    Just buy non plastic bags tbh

Better to buy a plastic bag and re-use it as much as possible before replacing.

Paper and cotton bags are even less environmentally friendly than plastic ones apparently.

Advertisement