Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car/engine heater

• 06-11-2019 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭

So I had asked this question last winter but can't seem to find the thread.

Given the frosty weather nowadays, is there a way to pre-heat engine or quickly heat up the engine to get warm air?

Also, I have noticed more pronounced gear knocking while gear changes (automatic transmission) in cold weather, any remedy for this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Given the frosty weather nowadays, is there a way to pre-heat engine or quickly heat up the engine to get warm air?

Also, I have noticed more pronounced gear knocking while gear changes (automatic transmission) in cold weather, any remedy for this?

You can get heaters that plug into cig lighter.

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/car-accessories/products/2357459/car-heater-and-defroster-12v-160w-with-thermostat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

An auxiliary heater was an option in BMWs preciously.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You'll probably have it by next winter... https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/engine-preheater.html

Very popular in Canada and the colder states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

CoBo55 wrote: »
    You'll probably have it by next winter... https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/engine-preheater.html

2kW 12v cigarette light heater...

Just see it is diesel/petrol powered. Wouldn't install any of these in my car or anywhere near me knowing quality of some of those products anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Yea was looking for something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

People in cold countries use block heaters, not whatever that Chinese nonsense is.

Block heaters are just heating elements that stick in the engine block somewhere (they are designed with a hole somewhere for this), a bit like the immersion at home. And you plug that into the mains (lead usually sticks out the grille somewhere), possibly with a timer set.

People in cold countries use block heaters, not whatever that Chinese nonsense is.

Block heaters are just heating elements that stick in the engine block somewhere (they are designed with a hole somewhere for this), a bit like the immersion at home. And you plug that into the mains (lead usually sticks out the grille somewhere), possibly with a timer set.

The one a relative in Canada uses is in the heater hose with its own circulation pump, and, as you say with your usual patronising delivery, there's a connector that's easily accessible he uses to connect it to the mains.

Ah OK, I hadn't seen them before, and am skeptical of anything on AliExpress...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Any idea how to get this done in Ireland?

Main question is why?

They don't even do it in colder European countries than Ireland.

Just make sure your car is winter ready, especially the battery and antifreeze and you should not have any issues at all.

If the weather goes Canadian you will not get anywhere anyway ;)

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 18 Verified rep MicksGarage.com

Hi there, the best way to heat your car up quickly would be a combination of one of our 12V heaters along with one of our heated seat cushions, these will have you nice and toasty in no time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

I just leave it running for 10 mins with the heater on before I start my journey, normally is enough time to clear any frost and warm it up inside.

If you are worried about some one stealing it, you could lock it with the spare key while its running, not ideal but its a reasonable level of security.

Cold Transmission fluid is effectively thicker than when it's at working temperature, could be the cause of additional noises, but very important to have automatic transmission fluid and filter changed every now and then. Many people never bother at all

Any idea how to get this done in Ireland?
    I'd say you'd have to import one from Scandinavia somewhere. The main purpose for these things are in climates where it's regularly below -10 degrees or so, so I don't know how effective it will be here.
    wonski wrote: »
    They don't even do it in colder European countries than Ireland.

They're common in Scandinavia and Russia, i.e. *a lot* colder than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

A Webasto or Eberspacher auxiliary heater is what you are looking for, but I doubt the benefit will outweigh the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I had a VW Multivan a good few years ago that had a diesel powered engine heater. There was a small exhaust that came out in the front wheel well.

It was the only vehicle I ever owned with 3 seperate exhausts: one for the engine block heater, one for the Eberspacher night cabin heater and one for the engine. The funny thing is that I owned the van when I lived on the Costa del Sol. :D

I'd say you'd have to import one from Scandinavia somewhere. The main purpose for these things are in climates where it's regularly below -10 degrees or so, so I don't know how effective it will be here.

They're common in Scandinavia and Russia, i.e. *a lot* colder than here.

I meant moderately colder ;)

There was -10 and even - 30 where I come from and people still managed without it.

Pretty sure you will be fine in Ireland without it.

Scandinavia, Canada, Russia etc is a different kind of winter. They wouldn't even switch the heater in here in December :)

Yes, those are countries where there's an actual risk of the antifreeze freezing in winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The main electrical preheating company in Europe is Defa.
    Big in Scandinavia and other cold parts of the world.
    Sure most cars will start and run quite happily in temps of way below 0°C but in terms of fuel efficiency petrols takes a major hit if you start from cold.
    Also if you have cabin heat from the coolant it can take a very long time to warm up, especially with diesels that are quite efficient.
    So in a lot of cases people run these heaters on a timer that starts a few hours before you leave and the engine and coolant is nicely warmed before you start the car.
    Not super cheap but is the easiest and most convenient solution for most people.

There was a company doing them in the UK they regularly advertised in the classic car magazines, people running classics as daily drivers were their target buyers. Kenlowe or Webasto I think they were called.

Advertisement