Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legit Reseller Crashed my Hard Drive

• 06-11-2019 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42

Any advice? My 13" macbook pro HD mid 2014 was running slow so I took it to an official reseller where they backed up everything to my desktop EHD. They lost my Adobe Lightroom catalog in the process so I brought it all home and found the catalog. I then returned everything to the store for them to wipe the laptop and reinstall the OS.

Today they delayed collection time and when I arrived they admitted my hard drive had crashed when they tried to install the new OS. The store is like "oops" can't help. Apple is "tough, won't help" . The laptop was purchased in USA but has always been used here in Ireland.

Any idea what my rights are? The laptop was fully functioning when I left it in to the store.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Probably none..a five year old hard drive can fail. You will need to buy a new one.

I assume by crashed you meant failed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro-retina-display/2013-2014-2015

These Macs use a blade PCIe SSD. Pentalobe screwdriver can be picked up cheaply on Adverts.ie. Once installed start recovery process by holding down command and R and powering the notebook on. Not uncommon for the SSD drives to fail in these machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 puffbubble

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro-retina-display/2013-2014-2015

These Macs use a blade PCIe SSD. Pentalobe screwdriver can be picked up cheaply on Adverts.ie. Once installed start recovery process by holding down command and R and powering the notebook on. Not uncommon for the SSD drives to fail in these machines.

That's amazing advice. Thank you so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Just to caveat that, don't attempt it unless your fairly competent with the insides... It's not a hard job but things can go wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

puffbubble wrote: »
    Any advice? My 13" macbook pro HD mid 2014 was running slow so I took it to an official reseller where they backed up everything to my desktop EHD. They lost my Adobe Lightroom catalog in the process so I brought it all home and found the catalog. I then returned everything to the store for them to wipe the laptop and reinstall the OS.

Today they delayed collection time and when I arrived they admitted my hard drive had crashed when they tried to install the new OS. The store is like "oops" can't help. Apple is "tough, won't help" . The laptop was purchased in USA but has always been used here in Ireland.

Any idea what my rights are? The laptop was fully functioning when I left it in to the store.

If a drive is on its way out it will fail the Disk Utility (Is drive healthy and repair function) that occurs before any OS install / upgrade. If the drive fails the test it will most likely require repair but may be beyond repair. Disk Utility Error Code8 is a fail.

You should have asked back for your old drive and possibly dig for the OS log files to see what the "Apple EXPERT" was doing.

Backup is king and Time machine is the best way and most straight forward when things go wrong and your going in the opposite direction. You'l be back up and running in a few hours! Don't forget to back up the backups or just do time machine twice.

• Advertisement

If a drive is on its way out it will fail the Disk Utility (Is drive healthy and repair function) that occurs before any OS install / upgrade. If the drive fails the test it will most likely require repair but may be beyond repair. Disk Utility Error Code8 is a fail.

You should have asked back for your old drive and possibly dig for the OS log files to see what the "Apple EXPERT" was doing.

Backup is king and Time machine is the best way and most straight forward when things go wrong and your going in the opposite direction. You'l be back up and running in a few hours! Don't forget to back up the backups or just do time machine twice.

Luckily 3 weeks ago I copied my whole macbook and all external drives onto a large EHD. I don't have good enough WiFi in this location to back up to the cloud. There was only 125mb of storage left so I shut the Macbook down and brought it to the engineers to wipe it and re- install the OS. The knowledge that I still have everything is such a huge relief. The store did say it probably wasn't worth fixing it, so I'm wondering whether to invest in that or just go radio silence until I've money saved for a new system - it's possible that a desktop may be a better more powerful option with an iPad as the mobile access.

so I shut the Macbook down and brought it to the engineers to wipe it and re- install the OS.

This is something you could do yourself, how much did they charge you for the experience with the Experts? was it CompuB?

This is something you could do yourself, how much did they charge you for the experience with the Experts? was it CompuB?

It was. 90e. But in fairness although everything seemed to be ok, processes were taking much longer and I wanted the security of an expert to ensure I didn't lose anything. I had 50,000 photographs...

It was. 90e. But in fairness although everything seemed to be ok, processes were taking much longer and I wanted the security of an expert to ensure I didn't lose anything. I had 50,000 photographs...

Sounds like the drive was EOL. Lesson learned backups are king, sigh of relief when you realise, you have the backup. Id backup the backup also as that's a lot of work to loose 50k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

Id backup the backup also as that's a lot of work to loose 50k.
    Yep, have two backups of everything you care about (and check they work, occasionally). If you only have one backup and you have to use it, suddenly you don't have a backup any more.

As for the original question, I'm pretty sure all Apple service shops, authorised or otherwise, have data loss get-out clauses in their small print. §1.2 here, in the official Apple Service terms and conditions: https://www.apple.com/ie/legal/sales-support/terms/repair/generalservice/servicetermsen/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 janeoleary

I need parts for macbook air 1466, any tips on where to get them, or even decent repair places in munster

Advertisement