Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

RTE Cutbacks The Plan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

bmc58 wrote: »
    What about the massive overruns in The Childrens Hospital and The National broadband Plan???Despite being strongly advised by Robert Watt the Secretary General of Dept of Finance.These stupendous overruns are going to cost our country maybe 2 billion if were lucky?And our government ploughed on against all logical advice,just for votes.Wise up.€60mill savings for our National Broadcaster is chicken feed compared to these two scandals.

How is cutting their cloth to live within their means destroying them ? Are they non existent now ?

Additionally one financial scandal should not just excuse another especially when the greed is so much on display. At least with the children's hospital it will enrich the country overall long term. An additional 60M a year for RTE is not a good return on investment.

The worst part about RTE is they think that the TV license is theirs and theirs alone. If they want an exclusive subscription model let them go down a private route and see if they survive subscription only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭bmc58

elperello wrote: »
    Chicken feed indeed.
    As for the "bloated salaries" you should see what the guys who really run the country take home.
    Do you want to get your news from the Denis @Brien owned Newstalk who ban journalists who "upset" Dinny??What kind of democracy is this.RTE for all its failings dont BAN opposite opinions.See the bigger picture for the good of Irish broadcasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,565 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Do you want to get your news from the Denis @Brien owned Newstalk who ban journalists who "upset" Dinny??What kind of democracy is this.RTE for all its failings dont BAN opposite opinions.See the bigger picture for the good of Irish broadcasting.

Do you have to ban opinions when there is only one within RTE?

Do you want to get your news from the Denis @Brien owned Newstalk who ban journalists who "upset" Dinny??What kind of democracy is this.RTE for all its failings dont BAN opposite opinions.

They don't ban them but not covering them is as good as. There is definitely a left leaning bias in RTE .

However again how are cutting their cloth destroying the station ? They can still deliver public broadcasting on. A cut back budget.

I was also under the impression that other providers could deliver public broadcasted items as well if provided with funding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Tea Shock wrote: »
    How are they allowed to use the income from a TV license to subsidise the running costs of their radio output? How is that even legal?

The alternative would be to repackage it as a 'broadcasting' fee to incorporate radio and online which would mean everybody (essentially) is liable to pay. I'm surprised they haven't tried that one actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭bmc58

Calhoun wrote: »
    How is cutting their cloth to live within their means destroying them ? Are they non existent now ?

Additionally one financial scandal should not just excuse another especially when the greed is so much on display. At least with the children's hospital it will enrich the country overall long term. An additional 60M a year for RTE is not a good return on investment.

The worst part about RTE is they think that the TV license is theirs and theirs alone. If they want an exclusive subscription model let them go down a private route and see if they survive subscription only.
    RTE don't ban journalists from their airwaves.

RTE don't ban journalists from their airwaves.

What has that to do with them cutting their cloth ?

They aren't saints in broadcasting and as advised have a very biased view in things so it's as good as banning but that's neither here nor there as we are talking about them living within their means.

Achasanai wrote: »
    The alternative would be to repackage it as a 'broadcasting' fee to incorporate radio and online which would mean everybody (essentially) is liable to pay. I'm surprised they haven't tried that one actually.

That is coming if they can get away with it but the government are fearful of backlash because of the oppulence that goes on in Montrose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Boggles wrote: »
    Pat was an absolute horror show on the Late Late.

It's was a cringe festival at the best of times.

I could not agree more, the Plank was unbelievably bad on the Late Late. To give a bit of balance, at least he wasn't as pretentious as tubbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

What about the massive overruns in The Childrens Hospital and The National broadband Plan???Despite being strongly advised against by Robert Watt the Secretary General of Dept of Finance.These stupendous overruns are going to cost our country maybe 2 billion if were lucky?And our government ploughed on against all logical advice,just for votes.Wise up.€60mill savings for our National Broadcaster is chicken feed compared to these two scandals.

At least some good will benefit the country when the hospital is built. Your kids or grandkids will benefit. What in the jasus does anyone benefit from RTÉ. ??? Let them rot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

joeysoap wrote: »
    Stick €10 a month on to everybody’s electricity bill. ( vat exempt) Job done. No big cost. Extra money for Rte. only spongers not happy. And reduce the big wages.

Pinergy will be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Tubbs is grand, probably the best of them and not overpaid. Plus if they cut his salary he may well be off abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

McGaggs wrote: »
    I could not agree more, the Plank was unbelievably bad on the Late Late.

I can understand why he might have wanted 'LLS host' on his CV but I'm surprised he didn't drop it after a few years when it blatantly wasn't his forte and the stuff he is actually accomplished at would be generally regarded as more significant and valuable.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Give digital radio over to the private sector to provide niche stations.

the private sector can't provide anything on digital radio because the BAI refuse to implement a legal framework for them to broadcast legally. the only licenses that are available are trial ones from comreg with a set, short timeframe.
    even if the BAI did provide such a framework then what exactly would we be giving over to the private sector? rte's digital stations are going to be shut and the studios and equipment would remain with them for other projects or to be used elsewhere within the services.
    there is the infrastructure but given the BAI won't implement anything before the rte digital stations shut, there probably wouldn't be anyone to buy it as they can't make income from it and anyway rte may as well be the ones to make the income in the event a framework was implemented.
    tv3tg4 wrote: »
    2fm should be sold off with rte2.

the problem is who would we sell it off to and what exactly would we be selling?
    like with the digital stations, studios and equipment will remain with rte, and there is scope to use the transmission networks for other services provided by rte that actually would meet a public service remit.
    private entities wouldn't want the 2fm brand i'd think.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

saabsaab wrote: »
    Tubbs is grand, probably the best of them and not overpaid. Plus if they cut his salary he may well be off abroad.
    This is something that many of us would pay for.
    But methinks you are doing a bit of trolling here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

If RTÉ focused on Journalism and the Arts within Ireland which a national broadcaster should do, People wouldn’t have an issue.

Instead, RTÉ have padded out most of their platforms with fluff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

The pure entitlement from the staff heckling the boss because she didn’t get them an increase in funds.

There is a co hort of families who send their children and children’s children into these public sector jobs and tell them to go forth and get all the taxpayers money and do as little as possible for it.

No national pride or a will to provide a good service for the taxes your fellow countrymen pay. It’s disgusting.

Kivaro wrote: »
    This is something that many of us would pay for.
    But methinks you are doing a bit of trolling here.
    Was it D'Arcy that promised to fuck off somewhere else if Kenny became Taoiseach?

BDI wrote: »
    The pure entitlement from the staff heckling the boss because she didn’t get them an increase in funds.

There is a co hort of families who send their children and children’s children into these public sector jobs and tell them to go forth and get all the taxpayers money and do as little as possible for it.

No national pride or a will to provide a good service for the taxes taxis your fellow countrymen pay for. It’s disgusting.

Fyp:p

All public service broadcasting is under threat by the new media. Most youngsters I know don't watch TV anymore.

To save costs they could sell Montrose for big money and set up a new slimmed down complex at much less cost in Athlone or Galway - TG4 is there already and is doing well.

save what costs though?
    and how would this slimmed down complex be less cost in the end? sure, land might be a bit cheaper but building a building is building a building, then presumably it will have to be re-equipped/kitted out which won't come cheap.
    i can't see anything or at least very much saved by the end of it all.
    you are also assuming they would get big money. if they have to sell quickly it may be the case that they couldn't hold out for to big an offer.
    Tea Shock wrote: »
    How are they allowed to use the income from a TV license to subsidise the running costs of their radio output? How is that even legal?

why wouldn't it be legal? what would be or should be illegal about it?
    BumperD wrote: »
    I’ve become to like RTE less and less over the years. I guess we have lots of choices now. But it’s more their spin. I don’t believe they are balanced in the reporting. I’d call what they are doing as Public Broadcasting rather than Public Service Broadcasting.

I used to ring them from time to time over their editing content/ inaccuracies.

They are not really needed anymore and well I guess have been overpriced for some time. I imagine many state broadcasters face similar funding issues now. Their whinging during the economic crisis 2008-2012 was really hard to take. Especially when they were all on jumbo contracts or salaries with gross pension/ other entitlements.

The beginning of the end me thinks. I kind of put it in the same plinth as the demise of the Catholic Church. RTE was like a pillar of the state. Many of the rest dismantling. It’s their turn now , which is ironic given their own role in sticking the boot into the CC in recent times when it wasn’t necessary/ seemed borderline vitriolic but that’s for another day.

if they aren't needed anymore they wouldn't have viewers and listeners and they wouldn't be on air.
    they are absolutely needed, in fact more then ever in these times of fake news and attempts to interfere.
    and given what the catholic church was involved in and the abuses carried out by it, rte were absolutely right to stick the boot in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

SHUT UP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Rte is only for kids up to 6 ..watching the
    Junior channel or the very elderly that aren't probably aware of what ****e there watching..
    A total waste of broadcasting and the neck that Dee Forbes and her other highly paid executives of rte has ..even spouting on about the 13 or so % of viewers that don't pay their TV licenses..as if this would actually bring in the millions that rte required to keep all the overpaid presenters in employment... the 13% of people are probably the people that have gone totally mad from watching the ****e that's being broadcast from rte and are totally unable to function..
    For me it's free to air..and netflix..as some posters have already started just let rte rot

save what costs though?
    and how would this slimmed down complex be less cost in the end? sure, land might be a bit cheaper but building a building is building a building, then presumably it will have to be re-equipped/kitted out which won't come cheap.
    i can't see anything or at least very much saved by the end of it all.
    you are also assuming they would get big money. if they have to sell quickly it may be the case that they couldn't hold out for to big an offer.

why wouldn't it be legal? what would be or should be illegal about it?

if they aren't needed anymore they wouldn't have viewers and listeners and they wouldn't be on air.
    they are absolutely needed, in fact more then ever in these times of fake news and attempts to interfere.
    and given what the catholic church was involved in and the abuses carried out by it, rte were absolutely right to stick the boot in.

Forbes said that they looked at leaving Montrose and gold elsewhere but said it would be too costly.
    They are going to consolidate their buildings at Montrose and leave the radio centre. Selling of further lands is part of the plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,308 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think there is need for reform of rte as a whole but I think the way they are going about it is completely wrong. RTE is a public broadcaster last I checked yet they are cutting the broadcasting part of the company far more than any other part. I’m curious was the DG of RTE someone who was well known in years past ? Dee Forbes is the only one I’ve ever known the name of and not for the right reasons. I mean as long as she’s been in charge RTEs financial position has gotten worse. Why is she not sacked ?

I also found the suggestion that you’d need a valid TV licence to log onto the RTE player as laughable. The player would want to work and not be the mess it is first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I think there is need for reform of rte as a whole but I think the way they are going about it is completely wrong. RTE is a public broadcaster last I checked yet they are cutting the broadcasting part of the company far more than any other part. I’m curious was the DG of RTE someone who was well known in years past ? Dee Forbes is the only one I’ve ever known the name of and not for the right reasons. I mean as long as she’s been in charge RTEs financial position has gotten worse. Why is she not sacked ?

I also found the suggestion that you’d need a valid TV licence to log onto the RTE player is laughable. The player would want to work and not be the mess it is first.

It does work, it flawless presents three minutes of ads consistently...

If RTÉ focused on Journalism and the Arts within Ireland which a national broadcaster should do, People wouldn’t have an issue.

Instead, RTÉ have padded out most of their platforms with fluff.

in fairness those who have no interest in the arts and news may have an issue.
    that is one of the problems for public service broadcasters, an expectation by some of the public that such broadcasters should only cater to their personal tastes, which is unfortunately not possible.
    absolutely rte do have a lot of fluff but unfortunately that is what happens when the public service broadcaster is expected to be both commercial and public service at the same time.
    BDI wrote: »

No national pride or a will to provide a good service for the taxes your fellow countrymen pay. It’s disgusting.

are you sure they were heckling her because she was unable to get an increase in funding?
    could it be that they were heckling because they are afraid for their jobs? something i would have thought is a reasonable fear.
    how is being fearful of losing your job entitlement? i'm not seeing how it is myself.

Forbes said that they looked at leaving Montrose and gold elsewhere but said it would be too costly.
    They are going to consolidate their buildings at Montrose and leave the radio centre. Selling of further lands is part of the plan

i knew they were selling off land but i wasn't aware they had looked into moving, all though i'm not surprised they looked at it, and i'm not surprised that it was found not to be cost effective.
    consolidation of some sort is probably the most sensible option really, but it should not be such that they can never expand services in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

What’s the point in RTÉ 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

The TV licence is actually the root cause of the problem. For decades they depended on raising revenue at gunpoint and never developed an internal sales force to generate ad revenue. As a result they became bloated beyond their ability to sustain themselves and held out for the government to some day save their skins by increasing or ramping up enforcement of the licence fee.

Now that so many people don't even use TV at all to even talk about increasing the licence fee would only breed contempt for the whole brand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

How about consolidating on a larger scale?

Maybe move into some portacabins ............ they're good enough to teach our children in (apparently).
    Or, and I know this is a bit of a stretch, how about consolidating RTE into multiple caravans. We all know that the very well paid "stars" at RTE have a penchant for supporting this type of setup and it may "halt" the bleeding of the money that we are giving them.

Advertisement