Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Cutbacks The Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I resent the fact I have to pay for RTE when I don't watch it in my own home.

Except for sometimes. ;)

But either way you have options, you don't need a TV anymore to get content.

2 of my friends have gone the legal avoidance route and it suits them perfectly fine.

I applaud anyone that does.

Personally I watch very little, very odd bit of sport, very odd bit of current affairs.

But I do know quite a few people who do watch it and who do enjoy it. So for me and for the collective, 160 is just about the right price point.

What's a basic Sky sub? 300-400 a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Judging by statements made by politicians of every stripe over the last day or so Public Service Broadcasting is here to stay.

All the parties seem to support the idea so they must believe there is enough approval among the voting public for keeping RTE going in some form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Boggles wrote: »
    Except for sometimes. ;)

But either way you have options, you don't need a TV anymore to get content.

2 of my friends have gone the legal avoidance route and it suits them perfectly fine.

I applaud anyone that does.

Personally I watch very little, very odd bit of sport, very odd bit of current affairs.

But I do know quite a few people who do watch it and who do enjoy it. So for me and for the collective, 160 is just about the right price point.

What's a basic Sky sub? 300-400 a year?

The sometimes you refer to with the stupid emoji ( are you a child?) is when I ' m not in my own home and therefore have no control .
    What the price of any sub is irrelevant why should someone who does not wish to avail of a TV service be forced to pay for it why does that cause you such confusion?

elperello wrote: »
    Judging by statements made by politicians of every stripe over the last day or so Public Service Broadcasting is here to stay.

All the parties seem to support the idea so they must believe there is enough approval among the voting public for keeping RTE going in some form.

Or they don't want RTE attacking them in the run up to an election. Didn't RTE get in trouble during a Presidential election for ambushing a candidate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Homelander

I can at least understand some of the presenter salaries even if I don't agree with them, but Ray D'Arcy I have never understood at all. Why is he paid that much? The whole "if we don't pay them, we'll lose them" angle - to whom, exactly, will Ray D'Arcy be lost if we don't pay him half a million a year? I can't see any other broadcaster anywhere paying him remotely close to that. His pay packet really irritates me, and I say that being quite impartial, I don't like Ryan Tubridy but I can at least see that he's a reasonable talent, and Sean O Rourke for example is quite an excellent broadcaster.

• Advertisement

Or they don't want RTE attacking them in the run up to an election. Didn't RTE get in trouble during a Presidential election for ambushing a candidate ?

Could be now that you mention it.
    That was Sean Gallagher in 2011.
    They had to apologise and pay damages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Is Ray D'Arcy high up in the Freemasons/Knights of Malta/Ancient Order Hibernia.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

We don't have the kind of libertarian Thatcherite party that that would be ideologically at odds with the concept of PSB

vriesmays wrote: »
    Is Ray D'Arcy high up in the Freemasons/Knights of Malta/Ancient Order Hibernia.

I don't know about the other two but you could leave the first aiders out of your speculative list.

The sometimes you refer to with the stupid emoji ( are you a child?) is when I ' m not in my own home and therefore have no control .

Sure.
    What the price of any sub is irrelevant why should someone who does not wish to avail of a TV service be forced to pay for it why does that cause you such confusion?

Again no one is forcing you to pay for it you have an option, I all ready linked you to the form.

• Advertisement

Could be now that you mention it.
    That was Sean Gallagher in 2011.
    They had to apologise and pay damages.

The licence fee payer paid the fine, not the clowns who carried out the ambush.

We don't have the kind of libertarian Thatcherite party that that would be ideologically at odds with the concept of PSB

Yes there is that.
    Funny though if you were to go by this place they would probably head the poll.
    In real world terms though the middle ground is the place to be in Irish politics.

Sure.

Again no one is forcing you to pay for it you have an option, I all ready linked you to the form.

Another poster had the right idea, best to ignore you.

Homelander wrote: »
    I can at least understand some of the presenter salaries even if I don't agree with them, but Ray D'Arcy I have never understood at all. Why is he paid that much? The whole "if we don't pay them, we'll lose them" angle - to whom, exactly, will Ray D'Arcy be lost if we don't pay him half a million a year? I can't see any other broadcaster anywhere paying him remotely close to that. His pay packet really irritates me, and I say that being quite impartial, I don't like Ryan Tubridy but I can at least see that he's a reasonable talent, and Sean O Rourke for example is quite an excellent broadcaster.

He came from a broadcaster that was paying him around 400k.

He had the most popular show on private radio and he still holds that record AFAIK.

The licence fee payer paid the fine, not the clowns who carried out the ambush.

What did you expect?
    Did you think they would take up a collection in the canteen?

What did you expect?
    Did you think they would take up a collection in the canteen?

Isn't that thing though no accountability for screwing up, not the first time RTE paid fast and loose with fee payer's money a priest got a huge payout aswell.
    I have read in some of todays papers that staff are outraged that management didn't push harder for a licence fee increase. They don't want reform or savings just hit the licence fee holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Pikey wrote: »
    Could they cut the Angelus? How much would that save?

it's a recording of a bell played from a pc most likely. so i would imagine nothing tbh.
    After the Irish water debacle? Good luck Water is an essential service.

RTE is just a "nice to have". Its not essential but RTE hasn't figured this out yet.

it's current affairs and news output certainly is essential. especially in these days and times.
    I don't watch RTE as in the present, I have not stated I never watched RTE. If you wish to check someone's posting history to try and score a point you're even more pathetic than I give you credit for being.
    I pay a TV licence for a service I don't want. I would more than willing fit a device on my TV that would block RTE.

sure, but that won't exempt you from the tv license as the television is still capable of receiving a terrestrial television signal.
    the only way to avoid the license is to either not have a tv or take the chance and not pay.
    No i said I don't now and haven't done so for months. If I go to the pub or someone else's home I can't control what's on their TV. I resent the fact I have to pay for RTE when I don't watch it in my own home.
    It should be a subscription, you and people like you that think it's great pay for it if you wish those of that don't want it shouldn't be forced to pay it. Its no different than forcing someone to pay for Sky TV.

it is very different.
    in the case of paying for sky television, you are paying to actually receive their channels and signal.
    with rte you are paying a tax for having a television, which the revenue brought in so happens to go to rte.
    rte will not be becoming a subscription model and rightly so. public service broadcasting absolutely has to be free to air so as to appeal to the widest possible audience.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Isn't that thing though no accountability for screwing up, not the first time RTE paid fast and loose with fee payer's money a priest got a huge payout aswell.

There isn't a media outlet in the country that have not been successfully sued for getting it wrong on occasion.

It even happens to greatest of all, the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I could see Tubbs getting a gig on one of the British radio stations.

As for Poor Joe, no.

To be fair Tubs had a temporary gig there for a while, but for some reason they never felt the need to find him a permanent position.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I have read in some of todays papers that staff are outraged that management didn't push harder for a licence fee increase. They don't want reform or savings just hit the licence fee holder.

And you find this surprising?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not in the least.

Most of RTe's employees are probably on crazy money.
    I would love to know the average salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

They could shut down completely and save everyone a lot of money. They are not needed anymore.

That's the way the media world turns.
    If you underwrite the fourth estate you better have deep pockets.
    Ask any press baron.

Not at all, I would expect nothing less form an organisation that is not required to live within its means and thinks its worth whatever value they feel it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not in the least.

Most of RTe's employees are probably on crazy money.
    I would love to know the average salary.

you didnt read the thread then :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111708892&postcount=172
    While nobody delights in job losses, RTE is grossly overstaffed and needs to shed numbers.

The average salary at RTE is €60,518, with over 125 employees making more than €100,000 a year. Quite simply, they are hugely overpaid, and should count themselves lucky their salaries aren't being cut.

The salaries of RTE's incompetent senior management team should be cut by at least 50%.

Presenters should have a salary cap of €100k. If Tubridy, D'Arcy, et al, can make more money elsewhere, let them go. I'm sure there are others who will do a good job.

Lyric FM was always a non-serious classical station. BBC Radio 3 is miles better.

Services that only a handful use anyway.

What's the point of RTE 2 now? Broadcasting Australian soaps and US imported shows? It's simply not needed and should be closed. RTE can easily fulfill its public service remit with one channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,702 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There isn't a media outlet in the country that have not been successfully sued for getting it wrong on occasion. It even happens to greatest of all, the BBC.

We're talking about RTE, a public service broadcaster nobbling the leading candidate in a Presidential election poll, they materially affected the outcome of that election with their incomptence and bias. There's no way they would have treated Higgins like that.
    Whataboutery doesn't even begin to describe how far off the mark "every media outlet gets sued on occasion" is.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

They could shut down completely and save everyone a lot of money. They are not needed anymore.

they could shut down yes, but they wouldn't be saving anyone any money, the tv license would be unlikely to be abolished.
    given the times and era we are in, they very much are needed any more.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    We're talking about RTE, a public service broadcaster nobbling the leading candidate in a Presidential election poll, they materially affected the outcome of that election with their incomptence and bias. There's no way they would have treated Higgins like that.
    Whataboutery doesn't even begin to describe how far off the mark "every media outlet gets sued on occasion" is.

He didn't win the election because he admitted he was a bag man for the despised Fianna Fáil at the time, his whole campaign he hid his connections.

He couldn't explain his lies, he fumbled and fúcked and was torn apart by every journalist that interviewed him afterwards.

It wasn't a single tweet that killed his campaign it was him being a sneaky prick.

Keeping him out of the Aras was a public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,702 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He didn't win the election because he admitted he was a bag man for the despised Fianna Fáil at the time, his whole campaign he hid his connections.
    He couldn't explain his lies, he fumbled and fúcked and was torn apart by every journalist that interviewed him afterwards.
    It wasn't a single tweet that killed his campaign it was him being a sneaky prick.
    Keeping him out of the Aras was a public service.

One wonders why RTE paid out any damages at all then.
    Or why the BAI upheld a complaint against RTE by Gallagher.
    If this is what we need RTE for, scrap it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    One wonders why RTE paid out any damages at all then.
    Or why the BAI upheld a complaint against RTE by Gallagher.
    If this is what we need RTE for, scrap it.

You don't scrap anything over one indiscretion.

Gallagher didn't win the election or do better because he ran as an independent anti establishment candidate, he got away with it until the truth caught up with him

This is exactly the beginning of the end of his campaign. Brown and Envelope and Fianna Fail.

Him unable to answer some basic question after sunk him, I remember the interview with Dobbo afterwards, it was an absolute massacre, his BS goosed him.

Advertisement