Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Cutbacks The Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,702 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Boggles wrote: »
    You don't scrap anything over one indiscretion.
    Gallagher didn't win the election or do better because he ran as an independent anti establishment candidate, he got away with it until the truth caught up with him

You don't pay out substantial damages to someone for an 'indiscretion'.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You don't pay out substantial damages to someone for an 'indiscretion'.

It was 130k, worth every penny.

The tweet from the fake account didn't bring him down, his own lies did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

On matters related and dirty tricks etc, did you hear Adi Roche on this afternoon? She could talk for Ireland, we missed a trick there in not electing her.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

I listen to Lyric most mornings in the car, it caters for those not looking for constant news or inane music. Besides you can't get a BBC3 signal over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Pikey wrote: »
    Could they cut the Angelus? How much would that save?

It's 12 hours of free content per year, it would cost money to get rid of it.

Over the course of an hour, the banal things can end up taking a lot of time and help pad out a programme. The constant time checks on Morning Ireland must add up to at least 5 mins some mornings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I actually do have a soft spot for RTE. I mean I grew up watching it and all that. Think a lot of people have some appreciation for them as an organisation.

But it's Friday night, and on RTE2 they have an excellent BBC documentary on the Nile followed up with a mildly popular US film from a decade ago. Finished up with another BBC show Live At The Appolo.

What exactly do they need more funding for? Seriously, if they can't produce original content for their 2nd channel on a Friday night forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

What's the 25K car allowance that Dee Forbes gets about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

zeebre12 wrote: »

You know when you're in the golden circle in this country when you're salary is banked and anything you need is looked after by allowances and expenses. Great wee country for some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Car allowances are taxable but employers don’t make pension contributions on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Clearly we couldn't have the Director General of Orr-tee-ee driving herself around in a 2010 Ford Focus.

But it takes 156 TV licences to fund her car allowance alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/rte-planning-200-job-cuts-20829124

I was hoping this was exaggerated but nope it isn't. What surprised me are there are still people defending the likes of RTE with this type of greed going on.

People must have great lives where this kind of **** doesn't phase them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Damien360

Works out as €1000 per month allowance on a car after tax. Would put you in A6, 5 series, E class territory for lease. Senior manager allowance in a lot of private sector companies.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Works out as €1000 per month allowance on a car after tax. Would put you in A6, 5 series, E class territory for lease. Senior manager allowance in a lot of private sector companies.

Senior managers of private sector companies aren't going to the tax payer with cap in hand and a sob story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I've heard of all sorts of old school, archaic work practices in RTE. All enforced by the Unions of course.
    Anyone able to confirm if the technical floor staff such as camera men get overtime for working nights such as on The Late Late Show as their contracts are essentially 9-5?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

jay0109 wrote: »
    I've heard of all sorts of old school, archaic work practices in RTE. All enforced by the Unions of course.
    Anyone able to confirm if the technical floor staff such as camera men get overtime for working nights such as on The Late Late Show as their contracts are essentially 9-5?

My contract is 9 to 5. If I was expected to work at night I'd want o/t too.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Well that is why you do not contract your mainline staff for shifts that do not match working patterns.

Allot of private entities have shift work to ensure they don't get into such a debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Calhoun wrote: »
    Well that is why you do not contract your mainline staff for shifts that do not match working patterns.

Allot of private entities have shift work to ensure they don't get into such a debacle.

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Private sector company can do whatever the f**k they like with earned profits. Public company seeking part of my taxed income for a service, yet 156 households are required to pay the licence to cover Dee's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Skyfloater wrote: »
    I listen to Lyric most mornings in the car, it caters for those not looking for constant news or inane music. Besides you can't get a BBC3 signal over here.

TuneIn app on the phone, hooked up to the car via aux cable or Bluetooth.

A quick check with leaseplan tells me it'll get you a car worth €150k. Poor Dee comes up a little short on the lease cost of a BMW M5 and will have to make do with a Range Rover or a Jaguar F type or Porsche Cayenne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Calhoun wrote: »

Exactly and in private sector many salart contracts will have the line due to the nature of the business hours may vary meaning you may not get overtime at all once your salaried. Another example of bad management if thats true about technical staff.

D'oh, I forgot about tax...

Yeah, but if they'd hired you to work Friday nights, you'd hope the contract would have covered that without the need for overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

I'd say the public might be a bit more willing to consider an increase if they could even get a sense of how RTE plan to moneveur themselves in the coming years.

Does the plan consist of anything more than please send us more cash?

Think they need to be communicating with the public a little more effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

€63k in annual pension contributions. Jesus Christ.

This country is really a bloody joke. Bet they felt they needed to nail Dee Forbes down to her contract before Showtime or HBO snapped her up from the discovery channel.

Likewise Rte couldnt afford to lose Joe Duffy to Sky or BBC the ramifications could be catastrophic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

RTE don't stop live broadcasts after 5pm! The LLS has being running for over 40 years. But yet the contracts I heard about are enforced by union rules as 9-5

tigger123 wrote: »

The plan has a cost cutting element largely focused on wages, it's in every headline TBF.

She is right on one thing though, the 14% evasion rate is far too high, it needs to brought down.

As for the 11% who "can access" the player been semi lumped in with evaders, that's absolute nonsense.

Fix the player, have the majority of it kids content and making it login only.

No ads for kids content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

A printed magazine with TV listings and no digital presence feels like an anachronism in this day and age.

That said, the Christmas edition of the RTE Guide does sell around 300,000 copies.

This was the only time we bought it, now like a lot of people they buy The Sun or one of those papers and they have a similar listing fro free....plus you don’t have to wade through 20 pages of Daithi O Shea interviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

tigger123 wrote: »
    I'd say the public might be a bit more willing to consider an increase if they could even get a sense of how RTE plan to moneveur themselves in the coming years.

Think they need to be communicating with the public a little more effectively.

The problem with RTE, give them more money and they just give more to dumbass presenters, I would accept an increase if I knew it would be used and not to fill up Tubs bank account

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The problem with RTE, give them more money and they just give more to dumbass presenters, I would accept an increase if I knew it would be used and not to fill up Tubs bank account

His salary will be more or less halved since the lunacy of the early 2010s.

What the fúck were they thinking?

He is popular and well regarded to be fair and he has got much better at this job, 2 and half of hours of live telly with no A listers is a tough gig, whatever the "experts" on here tell you.

The top earners should be bench-marked to the private sector, there should be no one at RTE earning over 400k.

Advertisement