Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Cutbacks The Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

limnam wrote: »
    What % of radios are DAB only?

Be surprised if it's in anyway significant

Interesting question.
    I'd say most purchasers of DAB radios were enthusiasts and will have other radios to go on with.
    Just a guess, I reckon there are no reliable figures for sales of DAB radios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Zird

AFAIK only early prototype models had DAB only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Is Lyric closing or simply moving to Dublin? Can't believe Marty travels to Limerick to do that programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

elperello wrote: »
    Interesting question.
    I'd say most purchasers of DAB radios were enthusiasts and will have other radios to go on with.
    Just a guess, I reckon there are no reliable figures for sales of DAB radios.

I have DAB in my current car and retrofitted it to another car I own , its basically the only time ive lostened to RTE radio is pulse and gold on DAB. They gave a lot of airtime to new irish artists and definitely opened up the irish hip hop scene a lot more, itll be a sad loss and RTE wont be getting my favour again because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

bobbyss wrote: »
    Is Lyric closing or simply moving to Dublin? Can't believe Marty travels to Limerick to do that programme.

Closing in Limerick.
    Will broadcast from Cork and Dublin.
    Marty currently broadcasts from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

elperello wrote: »
    Will broadcast from Cork and Dublin.

Technically they all broadcast from Dublin, the TX network originates from this point.

On that point, why is 2RN under RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Zird

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Technically they all broadcast from Dublin, the TX network originates from this point.

On that point, why is 2RN under RTE?

RTE have looked into selling RTENL/2rn a couple of times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

I've never encountered any that didn't have analogue FM at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Zird wrote: »

Should they be afforded the opportunity to sell it?

To me, that would be the backbone of the PSB.

It shouldn't be under government, nor RTE either, I assume it licence fee funded?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Who is the finance director for RTE and why are they still in a job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Damien360 wrote: »
    The BBC sells its products, MOTD is one of them, globally. .

They don't, they are not allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Zird wrote: »

When?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I never said BBC don't sell content globally.

I said they are not allowed sell MOTD. They have the rights to a domestic highlights package. Which they pay around £70m a year for.

The premier league handle their own overseas rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If you own a smart tv that can access RTE player and have a sat box that gets Freesat, is there anyway to avoid a tv license?

I never watch any RTE services and begrudge having to pay them €160 a year just for having the temerity of owning a tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Does any one know the answer to this . There are a team of presenters doing morning Ireland only 2 present at a time where are the other team members when they arenot on air. What does Marty and all other commentators do during their off season. Surely all the old work practices from the old days have been outdated and outlawed . I really cant see where all these cost savings are going to come for. I enjoy watching RTE but mainly for its Sports coverage and current affairs but thats me . My wife on the other hand has no real inetrest in sports she likes some of the programmes that get slated here but thats life and the problem with RTE how do they please everyone. I cant understand why RTE cant collect their license fee like Sky and other utilities collect theirs its a no brainer. I know the license wont cover everything but at least it would be a start

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Damien360

I can see a scenario of the revenue ending up collecting this charge “in the national interest”. Revenue currently collect the local property tax and have all the data for every single household.

A quick change of legislation to capture every household with the announced plan of any device that can play the RTE player. Then using the LPT data, charge the licence fee to each of those households. It will be pushed to everyone as no increase from the 160 and of course “in the national interest “.

If you own a smart tv that can access RTE player and have a sat box that gets Freesat, is there anyway to avoid a tv license?

I never watch any RTE services and begrudge having to pay them €160 a year just for having the temerity of owning a tv.

RTE player is "free" for everyone to access, i.e. you don't need a license.

Your TV and STB are capable of receiving RTE whether they are connected to an aerial or dish is moot AFAIK.

Get rid of the TV and STB and you will be exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

No need to do this just abolish the license and take the amount out of general taxation (a very small levy?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Boggles wrote: »

No they aren't and if RTE start to think that way they are goosed.

Ah, but they are. The fact that you cannot see this speaks volumes.

This is not 1990, it's 2019, where content can be consumed globally online an over streaming services and on-demand.

16-24-year-olds watch more Netflix than traditional TV, to take one example.

RTE have a public broadcasting remit, which means stuff like News, Current Affairs, regional programs and the like, which is fine and something I support. But paying the likes of Tubs and Darcy a million a year to put on light-hearted crap entertainment is NOT part of its public service remit.

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »

RTE have a public broadcasting remit,

And Netflix don't.

They also spend 15 odd billion just on content.

If you want to be in the direct competition with them the license fee will have to go up to 5 grand and there will need to be a radical change in our remit.

What RTE can be is a one stop shop for popular content garnered from the big 6-8 streamers, that will be the most effective way to "compete".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

What piece of legislation actually defines RTE’s remit?

Perhaps it needs to be changed. RTE should not produce or buy programming that the private sector would provide anyway. Virgin Media will happily pump out sports, chat shows, soaps and foreign imports - why does RTE need to do that?

Within that boundary, the current licence fee would go a very long way.

I don't see that she's changed much in her three and a half years.

Admittedly, RTE is hampered by its bureaucratic monopolistic legacy, unions, producers set in their ways, and is crippled by its bloated and overpaid staff — but it's her job to sort all that out.

It is a good example of old-world, semi-state, union-dominated work practices meeting new-world, tech-driven, self-motivated, non-union work environment.

Why would anyone with any ambition, talent or self-worth would want to work in a place like RTE?

Because lets be honest if Netflix were the state broadcaster that spent 15 billion 95% of it which is complete horsé**** we'd all be going apeshíte.

At least RTE produces 95% horsé**** on an infinitely smaller budget.

One can choose to subscribe to Netflix or not. With RTE one does not have a choice.

Its a subtle but big difference.

markodaly wrote: »
    One can choose to subscribe to Netflix or not. With RTE one does not have a choice.

Of course you do.

Nermal wrote: »
    What piece of legislation actually defines RTE’s remit?

Perhaps it needs to be changed. RTE should not produce or buy programming that the private sector would provide anyway. Virgin Media will happily pump out sports, chat shows, soaps and foreign imports - why does RTE need to do that?

Within that boundary, the current licence fee would go a very long way.

God forbid RTE should be even mildly entertaining.

Throw back on the Bishop telling us all how wicked and decadent we are.

The BBC would have died years ago if they followed that line of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

God forbid RTE should be even mildly entertaining.

Not what I said. What I said was: fill the gap that the market leaves. Entertainment is fine, so long as it’s not what I can already find on Virgin or Sky.

If you want to do what they do, then compete on their terms.

MrAbyss wrote: »
    My YouTube is very popular as it is not just marketed at Ireland.

Although it is a hobby and model building channel, I have noticed a huge interest from overseas when I cover Irish subjects. Irish historical military models and miniatures. This illustrates I think a major problem with RTE is that they fail to understand the potential of their vast cultural and historic archive and the interest overseas from non Irish people. Most of the best old RTE films and reports are on other people's YT channels. No one will be arsed looking at their site archive other than Irish people. There is a real hunger around the world by millions of people to learn something deeper and authentic about Ireland.

Why for the love of god, does RTE not have a YT channel called Irish TV Archive and rake in millions in ad money? They are sitting on a goldmine and none of them have the sense to see it. They can even have their presenters give a little intro on the backstory of the program. Very little production costs.

Nail on the head. RTE's offering on youtube is terrible, compared to the likes of Channel 4 or BBC. They already have the content, they just need to deliver it.

As far as I heard, there is no one under 30 employed by RTE. Crux of the problem right there. RTE is run by people in their 50s/60s and create content for people older then they are. Dinosaurs in the age of the internet.

Is there one program on RTE catered for the youth audience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Damien360 wrote: »
    The data for TV viewer numbers is extrapolated from 1090 homes (Tam Ireland website statement). I am probably the wrong demographic in my 40’s but I don’t know a single person that watches the late late other than the Christmas show. Certainly very few in their 20’s and 30’s. So where do they get 600k from. I would love to know the demographic of the 1090 homes used to calculate.

Nor do I know or have ever met anyone who was asked about their viewing habits. I do however get regular calls from one survey company about finance, because I was foolish enough once to answer a few questions. Seems they have a list of regulars to hit. If media polling is done same way, no wonder they produce stats that are out of touch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's a crying shame they pushed the retirement age up to 70. The people who'll cling onto their jobs until then are the ones who should have been lost through natural wastage (if they can't be made redundant). What is the age profile of the general RTE staff?

Advertisement