Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Cutbacks The Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Boggles wrote: »
    RTE player is "free" for everyone to access, i.e. you don't need a license.

Your TV and STB are capable of receiving RTE whether they are connected to an aerial or dish is moot AFAIK.

Get rid of the TV and STB and you will be exempt.

The Freesat box is incapable of receiving rte. As is my UK spec TV. One of these days I might have to read up on the relevant legislation. If it works out in my favour, I might through our my €20 sairview tuner (that's only there so the Mrs can occasionally look at the Late Late to tut at the poor lineup before switching off) and finally stop paying the TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

And Netflix don't.

They also spend 15 odd billion just on content.

If you want to be in the direct competition with them the license fee will have to go up to 5 grand and there will need to be a radical change in our remit.

What RTE can be is a one stop shop for popular content garnered from the big 6-8 streamers, that will be the most effective way to "compete".

Only an idiot would claim that RTE should produce content with De Niro et al.
    That is not my point.

Irish people can consume content created by Netflix and do. Therefore RTE are in competition for clicks and views. That does not mean RTE have to create blockbuster movies, it doesn't, but it cannot be the old school all things to all people type of broadcaster it once was pre the dawn of the Internet.

You are correct, RTE have a public broadcast remit and it should concentrate wholly on that and fix its app so people can use it.
    It may get away with putting up movies and shows on TV, I would not be against that per say as its costs very little to do that, but it should look at its costs and cut down on the rubbish it does produce.
    There is no need for RTE 2 or 2FM to take one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

markodaly wrote: »
    It is a good example of old-world, semi-state, union-dominated work practices meeting new-world, tech-driven, self-motivated, non-union work environment.
    Spot on. RTE is where Aer Lingus was at years ago. Something had to be done about it before it went to the wall and it was - and is ongoing. RTE needs rooting out. What is being proposed is not even close to what needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They should just throw their hat at the player and broadcast on FB. Anything they do 'live' there is much much more stable and user friendly in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Your TV and STB are capable of receiving RTE whether they are connected to an aerial or dish is moot AFAIK.

Neither are capable of receiving RTE actually - other than through the rte player on the smart tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Nor do I know or have ever met anyone who was asked about their viewing habits. I do however get regular calls from one survey company about finance, because I was foolish enough once to answer a few questions. Seems they have a list of regulars to hit. If media polling is done same way, no wonder they produce stats that are out of touch.

The same method is used all over the world and is considered quite reliable for counting who is watching on a tv .

Integrating who is watching on line has been a problem and if anything it has meant viewing figures have been understated
    The Freesat box is incapable of receiving rte. As is my UK spec TV. One of these days I might have to read up on the relevant legislation

According to some interpretations of the current law an Analogue TV is still subject to the TV licence because it has a receiver capable of receiving tv transmissions even though there is no such transmissions from RTE .Your freesat box and TV would seem to fall under the same interpretation

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

SPDUB wrote: »
    According to some interpretations of the current law an Analogue TV is still subject to the TV licence because it has a receiver capable of receiving tv transmissions even though there is no such transmissions from RTE .Your freesat box and TV would seem to fall under the same interpretation

An Post certainly think so.

"Do I need a licence if my television set has not been "upgraded" to receive digital signals?
    An analogue television set, with or without a set-top box, will still require a Television Licence.
    The definition of a Television set (Section 140 (1) of the Broadcasting Act 2009)

"television set" means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception ( whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it ) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus."

https://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/TVLicence/TVLicenceStandard.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7b0C160E7A-4F62-4357-BC21-7FB999396792%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fAnPost%2fMainContent%2fPersonal%2bCustomers%2fMore%2bfrom%2bAn%2bPost%2fTV%2bLicence%2fGeneral%2bTV%2bLicence%2bFAQs%2ehtm&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#NoUpgrade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

People overthink all this stuff about interpretation. The fact is, they want all premises liable, and will make the description of a TV set as wide ranging as possible, to ensure as many as possible are liable, even though a tv set that falls within the liability description, may not be a tv set that is usable in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The same method is used all over the world and is considered quite reliable for counting who is watching on a tv .

If viewing habits & figures are collected on a purely random basis, I could accept small numbers. But if the feedback is routinely taken from the same limited pool of viewers/ listeners, then surely you'll get the same answers again & again & again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

BarryD2 wrote: »
    If viewing habits & figures are collected on a purely random basis, I could accept small numbers. But if the feedback is routinely taken from the same limited pool of viewers/ listeners, then surely you'll get the same answers again & again & again.

I can't answer as to exact method used but as I said it is the method used all over the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The TV's UK analogue tuner wasn't able to tune in any Irish signal. I've haven't tried since the digital changeover. The Freesat box has no way of picking up rte broadcasts. Of the rules cover these two pieces of foreign equipment, I'd be wondering what else would be covered by their vagueness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Interesting article and considering we like to model allot of what we do here on the nordic countries its something we could do.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/philip-ryan-a-radical-rethink-on-public-sector-pay-is-necessary-38677422.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Calhoun wrote: »
    Interesting article and considering we like to model allot of what we do here on the nordic countries its something we could do.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/philip-ryan-a-radical-rethink-on-public-sector-pay-is-necessary-38677422.html

The Netherlands....Nordic?

In any case he makes the pretty valid point that you'd run into severe trouble with other high paid state employees who earn far more than the Taoiseach; consultants, chief civil servants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The Netherlands....Nordic?

In any case he makes the pretty valid point that you'd run into severe trouble with other high paid state employees who earn far more than the Taoiseach; consultants, chief civil servants etc.

Well central europe, i meant more we look at that region generally as a model for our own systems but you are correct my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Calhoun wrote: »
    Well central europe, i meant more we look at that region generally as a model for our own systems but you are correct my mistake.

We might look at a number of areas for how we do things but we most closely model the UK and US if you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

McGaggs wrote: »
    The Freesat box is incapable of receiving rte.

Actually there is no grey area here at all. Your STB can receive RTE and in FTA.
    As is my UK spec TV.

It can decode the audio but not the picture AFAIK.
    One of these days I might have to read up on the relevant legislation. If it works out in my favour,

It won't, it's intentionally broad. It doesn't even mention RTE or any encoding specs.

Basically if you have a device with a "tuner" that can receive terrestrial, satellite or cable broadcasts you need a license. The tuner is the bit that needs the license.
    I might through our my €20 sairview tuner (that's only there so the Mrs can occasionally look at the Late Late to tut at the poor lineup before switching off) and finally stop paying the TV licence.

You'd still have to pay it, unless you got rid of the telly and stb.

Or specifically the 3 tuners.
    Neither are capable of receiving RTE actually - other than through the rte player on the smart tv.

They are to some extent, but essentially it doesn't matter.

See above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

And Netflix don't.

They also spend 15 odd billion just on content.

If you want to be in the direct competition with them the license fee will have to go up to 5 grand and there will need to be a radical change in our remit.

Netflix produces its own original content but it also licenses TV shows and movies to stream on its service. RTE does much the same thing. Licensed content from the UK, the US, and Australia makes up a significant component of RTE's schedule.

When RTE licenses and broadcasts content, it competes directly with the streaming services. For example, RTE 2 screened The Wolf of Wall Street on Saturday night. Netflix also offers The Wolf of Wall Street — but on-demand and without the ads. Guess which is more attractive to consumers?

RTE is struggling in part because its outmoded business model no longer works in 2019. Fewer people are watching content such as premium movies on RTE when they can watch the same content without the ad breaks on streaming services. And the fewer people who watch RTE, the less advertisers are willing to pay for ad slots.
    What RTE can be is a one stop shop for popular content garnered from the big 6-8 streamers, that will be the most effective way to "compete".

Netflix does not license its original content. The only place to legally watch a Netflix original series such as Orange Is the New Black or House of Cards is on Netflix. That's how their model works. RTE won't be getting the rights to broadcast Netflix original content anytime soon — so the idea that RTE can aggregate content from the 6–8 biggest streamers is just a pipe dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Netflix does not license its original content. The only place to legally watch a Netflix original series such as Orange Is the New Black or House of Cards is on Netflix. That's how their model works. RTE won't be getting the rights to broadcast Netflix original content anytime soon — so the idea that RTE can aggregate content from the 6–8 biggest streamers is just a pipe dream.

Orange is the New Black is currently being broadcast on TG4: https://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/orange-is-the-new-black/

When RTE licenses and broadcasts content, it competes directly with the streaming services. For example, RTE 2 screened The Wolf of Wall Street on Saturday night. Netflix also offers The Wolf of Wall Street — but on-demand and without the ads. Guess which is more attractive to consumers?

The vast majority of Irish people don't have Netflix, they do have RTE 2.

I've no idea where you got that, it's simply not true.

https://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/orange-is-the-new-black/

Orange is the New Black is currently being broadcast on TG4: https://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/orange-is-the-new-black/

I stand corrected on that point, then — but note that TG4 is currently broadcasting Season 4, while Season 7 aired on Netflix earlier this year.

Same logic holds. Netflix isn't going to licence its original series at least until they are years old. Fans of the shows have to subscribe to get the latest seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They definitely licence some content. Orange... is or was shown on TG4 and on sony in the UK (after a few years).

The vast majority of Irish people don't have Netflix, they do have RTE 2.

In 2017, 42 percent of Irish households surveyed by ComReg had access to Netflix. I'd bet the numbers have approached 50 percent since then, given Netflix's rapid addition of international subscribers.

Regardless, it's not true that the "vast majority" of Irish people don't have access. Crucially, those who do have Netflix will tend to be younger, which cannibalizes RTE's ad revenue significantly.

I stand corrected on that point, then — but note that TG4 is currently broadcasting Season 4, while Season 7 aired on Netflix earlier this year.

Same logic holds. Netflix isn't going to licence its original series at least until they are years old. Fans of the shows have to subscribe to get the latest seasons.

I imagine there is plenty fans of the show who follow it on TG4 and became fans because they don't have Netflix or it's not an option.

Also just because something is "old" or not completely up to date doesn't mean it won't create new fans or have a following audience.

Seinfield ended 20 years ago, Netflix just paid €500m+ for it for 5 years.

I imagine there is plenty fans of the show who follow it on TG4 and became fans because they don't have Netflix or it's not an option.

Again, you are missing the point. The writing is on the wall for traditional television, which is being out-competed by on-demand streaming services.

In 2018, Irish 15 to 24-year-olds consumed a daily average of 70 minutes of television, down from 109 minutes among the same age group in 2016. That's almost a 40 percent drop in the space of just two years.

If this trajectory continues, as it seems destined to do, where do you think we will be in another decade?

If RTE can't balance its books today, where will it be in 2025 or 2030? Because RTE isn't changing or innovating — it just wants more taxpayer handouts so it can stick its head in the sand and pretend that it's still doing something viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Just tuned in to SoR no show from Sean The lovely Miriam is filling in for the week in the week they just had not exactly good timing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

I think RTE should be taken over by Virgin Media

They took over TV3 without issues and have the resources and finances to run it properly.

Again, you are missing the point. The writing is on the wall for traditional television, which is being out-competed by on-demand streaming services.

I think you are leaving out a pretty glaring factor which I will illustrate in a simple question.

Okay I am business with a product, how do I advertise my product on Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I think RTE should be taken over by Virgin Media

They took over TV3 without issues and have the resources and finances to run it properly.
    Virgin Media is a disgrace of a broadcaster. Ultra cheap imports and endless reruns. It ads almost no value to the media landscape. It will throw a wobbly every time any other broadcaster makes a change. Bottom of the barrel stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

I think you are leaving out a pretty glaring factor which I will illustrate in a simple question.

Okay I am business with a product, how do I advertise my product on Netflix?

You dont, you advertise on FB, Instagram or Google Ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

The audience for broadcast media is quite literally dying off. People aren't beholden to a few tv and radio stations and their schedules anymore. RTE really needs to start showing more imagination.

Advertisement