Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Cutbacks The Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

JDxtra wrote: »
    Virgin Media is a disgrace of a broadcaster. Ultra cheap imports and endless reruns. It's ads almost no value to the media landscape. It will throw a wobbly every time any other broadcaster makes a change. Bottom of the barrel stuff.

Feels like the stuff that's too high brow for ITV ends up on Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

tigger123 wrote: »
    You dont, you advertise on FB, Instagram or Google Ads.

And traditional TV because there is no option for most of the streamers.

In the states TV advertising is set to rise again primarily because of streamers not offering the option of Ads.

It's inevitable that the streamers are going to turn to a ad model losing one of the best things about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Boggles wrote: »
    I think you are leaving out a pretty glaring factor which I will illustrate in a simple question.

Okay I am business with a product, how do I advertise my product on Netflix?

Product placement.

Product placement.

How does lets say Virgin Media do that or Vodafone or Supervalu?

How does lets say Virgin Media do that or Vodafone or Supervalu?

I'm not a marketing expert, but I'm sure it's possible.

Regardless, as millions watch less TV, spending more time on social media and streaming services, TV advertising has gone into an inevitable decline that is not going to reverse itself.

Today's marketers are looking at digital and social media marketing. There's widespread recognition that that is the future.

RTE is still trying to sell traditional television ad slots, much as it did in 1985, while marketers are turning elsewhere. In brief, things are bad for RTE now, but they are going to get much worse over the next 5, 10, and 15 years — and demanding ever more taxpayer revenue to prop up a failing business model is not the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It is clear the writing is on the wall for old-style TV broadcasting, yet some like to pretend we can just press pause and get back to like it was in 2001.
    The argument is just contrarian at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

Orange is the New Black is currently being broadcast on TG4: https://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/orange-is-the-new-black/

Here's the question: why is a compulsory licence fee used to buy foreign programming, rather than for creating new Irish content?

There was a possible argument for this in a time when RTE not buying something meant that most people had no way to see it.

That's no longer the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

markodaly wrote: »
    It is clear the writing is on the wall for old-style TV broadcasting, yet something like to pretend we can just press pause and get back to like it was in 2001.
    The argument is just contrarian at this point.

Ultimately the writing may be on the wall for old school TV broadcasting but Public Service broadcasting still needs to be funded. And whether the platform changes and the model changes that funding requirement is still there.

Nermal wrote: »
    Here's the question: why is a compulsory licence fee used to buy foreign programming, rather than for creating new Irish content?

There was a possible argument for this in a time when RTE not buying something meant that most people had no way to see it.

That's no longer the case.

I would suspect that creating new Irish content comes at a much higher cost that buying in foreign programming, granted with some potential income if that new Irish programming can be re-sold.

I'm not a marketing expert, but I'm sure it's possible.

Yeah but in reality it isn't.
    RTE is still trying to sell traditional television ad slots, much as it did in 1985,

As is every other TV production company in the world.

It's not a problem unique to RTE. Far more Streaming media will be doing the exact same shortly in some way.

RTE do need to shape up, but it has a lot going for it which should be seen as a major opportunity other than complete doom.

The license fee has gone up less than 3% in 12 years.

Every other provider has gone up exponentially more.

Quality of content is key, that's the future for RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭JDxtra

My kids (11 and under) don't ask to watch anything on a linear TV channel - other than the Late Late Toy Show and a very odd sporting event etc.

They wouldn't even know what the RTE Player is. Ask them about various YouTube channels and Netflix shows, and they know all about it.

Traditional broadcasters are in big trouble next few years, especially those not moving fast enough.

It's not a problem unique to RTE.

Other traditional and public-service broadcasters have attempted to future-proof themselves my adapting for the digital age. RTE has not faced up to the structural challenges it faces; it has focused on trying to coerce more revenue out of the taxpayer to prop up an antiquated and failing business model. As I said, this is doomed to failure. Where will RTE be in 5, 10, 15 years' time given its failure to innovate and adapt?

Other traditional and public-service broadcasters have attempted to future-proof themselves my adapting for the digital age.

They have. But they have A. The Content and B. The money to do it.

But primarily it's all about quality of content, which cost a lot of money.

Like I said all ready BBC spend more on it's online stuff than RTEs entire budget.
    RTE has not faced up to the structural challenges it faces; it has focused on trying to coerce more revenue out of the taxpayer to prop up an antiquated and failing business model

Well that's not true in reality, the license fee has gone up 2 quid since 2006. So if they are focused on coercing the tax payer or license payer it's been futile.

They are basically selling the furniture to negate their loses. But they are propped up.

They certainly need to trim the fat, but the reality is replacing that fat with quality will cost money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

JDxtra wrote: »
    Virgin Media is a disgrace of a broadcaster. Ultra cheap imports and endless reruns. It ads almost no value to the media landscape. It will throw a wobbly every time any other broadcaster makes a change. Bottom of the barrel stuff.

Sounds like RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

They have. But they have A. The Content and B. The money to do it.

But primarily it's all about quality of content, which cost a lot of money.

Like I said all ready BBC spend more on it's online stuff than RTEs entire budget.

Well that's not true in reality, the license fee has gone up 2 quid since 2006. So if they are focused on coercing the tax payer or license payer it's been futile.

They are basically selling the furniture to negate their loses. But they are propped up.

They certainly need to trim the fat, but the reality is replacing that fat with quality will cost money.

Content does cost money, so instead of doing a load of things s**t try and do a few things well.

Example Radio 1 is ok, 2FM is s**t. So dump 2FM and concentrate on 1 radio station instead. I can't see anyone losing sleep if 2FM is gone in the morning, apart from the "DJ's" who will struggle to get a gravy train like the one they are on

Why not do more partnerships, they have done before with BBC and C4 etc.....do more.Go to ITV if they are making a new program etc and buddy up. Use your budget more wisely.

Lots of options available. Pointing at UK and saying ahh sure we can't do XYZ is a bulls**t excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,700 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why not do more partnerships, they have done before with BBC and C4 etc.....do more.Go to ITV if they are making a new program etc and buddy up. Use your budget more wisely.

Not just on content. Could they bin the RTE player and licence the use of an existing player that actually works from another broadcaster?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Many networks provide free streaming services. You can only get their content but have older films too. There are adverts and you can only avail of it if you've a legit provider. In RTE's case they could make it that only licence holders could access it.
    ...of course the flaw is, who would, and how would they gouge the people who didn't want to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

The problem is the RTE Player was originally conceived as an online catch-up TV service and an adjunct to TV. Most of the time it has relatively light traffic, then you get a big event and it's crazy busy and starts to fail.

It needs to be hosted by a cloud company for a start, but it would make an awful lot more sense for a group of European PSBs of RTE's size to come together and pool their resources to create a reliable streaming platform that they controlled themselves. Or, to work with a number of big players like YouTube and Netflix to come up with something usable.

Due to rights issues - they can't just throw the content into the wild without some kind of DRM.

Mezzotint wrote: »
    The problem is the RTE Player was originally conceived as an online catch-up TV service and an adjunct to TV. Most of the time it has relatively light traffic, then you get a big event and it's crazy busy and starts to fail.

It needs to be hosted by a cloud company for a start, but it would make an awful lot more sense for a group of European PSBs of RTE's size to come together and pool their resources to create a reliable streaming platform that they controlled themselves. Or, to work with a number of big players like YouTube and Netflix to come up with something usable.

Due to rights issues - they can't just throw the content into the wild without some kind of DRM.

yeah, after how many years now? You'd think they'd have sorted it.
    They could even set up a region specific YouTube channel ffs, but then who's nephew could get that contract?
    Which reminded me, the lad does all the incidental music on Fair City is one of the Producers sons. Your tax money at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

If they don't they'll lose viewers as the player's going to become more important than the transmission network as a means of distribution.

• Advertisement

Again, there are two issues:
    1. The focus and use of the TV License fee needs to be looked at.
    2. There are a cohort of people out there who simply aren't compliant with the existing regime of payment. This needs to be sorted.

Saying, I won't pay for it because I don't and/or won't use it isn't an excuse anyone should be able use.

kippy wrote: »
    Again, there are two issues:
    1. The focus and use of the TV License fee needs to be looked at.
    2. There are a cohort of people out there who simply aren't compliant with the existing regime of payment. This needs to be sorted.

Saying, I won't pay for it because I don't and/or won't use it isn't an excuse anyone should be able use.

I dodged it for as long as I could and would continue to do so...(if it wasn't for you pesky kids).
    When we know it's purposefully sub-par due to nepotism and has a 'so what?' attitude, I am loathe to finance it as is.
    If they are held to account and forced to act accordingly, I'll merrily finance a state broadcaster.

I dodged it for as long as I could and would continue to do so...(if it wasn't for you pesky kids).
    When we know it's purposefully sub-par due to nepotism and has a 'so what?' attitude, I am loathe to finance it as is.
    If they are held to account and forced to act accordingly, I'll merrily finance a state broadcaster.
    That logic makes absolutely no sense but sure there ya go.
    Plenty people can use that line of thought when financing many parts of the State apparatus (and do as well to be fair) but it's not a position that should be allowed exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,255 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Can anyone recommend a decent replacement for a standard 42" television? Most PC monitors of that size I'm seeing seem to require a separate sound system.

It's crazy that the price seems to increase massively when all you want is a device with one of it's components (the tuner) removed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

This is the RTE Vision Statement
    RTÉ’s vision is to champion Irish culture by captivating audiences with trusted, engaging and challenging content; celebrating our country’s rich diversity; and cultivating Ireland’s talent.

Looking at RTE's TV listings I fail to see how their vision matches reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Sleepy wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent replacement for a standard 42" television? Most PC monitors of that size I'm seeing seem to require a separate sound system.

It's crazy that the price seems to increase massively when all you want is a device with one of it's components (the tuner) removed!

Do Smart TVs have tuners?

kippy wrote: »
    That logic makes absolutely no sense but sure there ya go.
    Plenty people can use that line of thought when financing many parts of the State apparatus (and do as well to be fair) but it's not a position that should be allowed exist.

Did you not understand?
    Plainly put If I could I would not fund RTE as is.
    It's how I feel, don't cross my humanity ;)

..worked on the water metering scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,255 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Do Smart TVs have tuners?
    Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So apparently the president of UL emailed the DG of RTÉ prior to the abounded cuts saying that UL would be open to facilitating lyric fm on their campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,700 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Looking at RTE's TV listings I fail to see how their vision matches reality.

Last night, primetime Sunday night viewing they had a 2014 imported movie on RTE1 (Taken 3) and a 2015 imported movie on RTE2 (Hot Pursuit).
    I don't think Liam Neeson's presence in Taken 3 should meet the definition of 'cultivating Irish talent' :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement