Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Cutbacks The Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Content does cost money, so instead of doing a load of things s**t try and do a few things well.

Example Radio 1 is ok, 2FM is s**t. So dump 2FM and concentrate on 1 radio station instead. I can't see anyone losing sleep if 2FM is gone in the morning, apart from the "DJ's" who will struggle to get a gravy train like the one they are on

Why not do more partnerships, they have done before with BBC and C4 etc.....do more.Go to ITV if they are making a new program etc and buddy up. Use your budget more wisely.

Lots of options available. Pointing at UK and saying ahh sure we can't do XYZ is a bulls**t excuse.

Well there isn't really TBH. The options are pretty simple, they need lots more quality content and they need to achieve this with relative pittance.

They are trying to commission "quality" on half the budget they had a few years ago. There is no magic formula for a "hit". 41 million last year.

To put that in context Netflix handed out a 300m retainer for the guys who made Game of Thrones.

They still do partnership, Dublin Murders was one with BBC all though RTE's involvement isn't clear, looks like they provided some technical talent and catering. But I agree with could be something that needs to be increased, all though it would appear the Brit providers are about to form their own alliance to maximize profits.

I'd have no real problem with selling off 2fm, pump the savings into childrens programming and sport. I imagine it is up next for the chop anyway.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So apparently the president of UL emailed the DG of RTÉ prior to the abounded cuts saying that UL would be open to facilitating lyric fm on their campus.

So lyric is basically going to become student radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I think it's a great idea. We have thousands of media graduates and students who would kill to participate. These are the ones who rarely if ever get a look in in RTE. Be amazing to turn the tables.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent replacement for a standard 42" television? Most PC monitors of that size I'm seeing seem to require a separate sound system.

It's crazy that the price seems to increase massively when all you want is a device with one of it's components (the tuner) removed!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-BDM4350UC-00-43-Inch-Brilliance/dp/B01CO2QT4M/ref=pd_sbs_147_2/257-7005929-7605025?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01CO2QT4M&pd_rd_r=f3f77f3d-42d8-46b8-a2ff-0ca6c653ac46&pd_rd_w=W1NsG&pd_rd_wg=C1CJU&pf_rd_p=cc188cba-1892-42b3-956f-6c67d0ab7a00&pf_rd_r=R295KNYFZJHQ216WS757&psc=1&refRID=R295KNYFZJHQ216WS757

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Those salaries are insane. Marian Finucane only has two radio shows at the weekend or something like that. They only broadcast to a island of 6.5 million, the majority of which don't actually watch or listen to any of it, and some diaspora on the internet. From what I've purely observed, nobody from my generation watches or listens to RTE. Most TV viewing isn't done on TV stations but rather streaming services. Any radio is through Spotify playlists in the car. RTE know what they need to transition to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well the way I took it was that UL offered to lyric fm as it is now to their campus. It sounds like a change of premises, not a change of station.

Elemonator wrote: »
    They only broadcast to a island of 6.5 million, the majority of which don't actually watch or listen to any of it, and some diaspora on the internet. From what I've purely observed, nobody from my generation watches or listens to RTE. Most TV viewing isn't done on TV stations but rather streaming services. Any radio is through Spotify playlists in the car. RTE know what they need to transition to.

Radio has about an 85% market share. Over 3 million daily listeners out of a population of roughly 5 million.

Spotify has roughly 5%.

Podcasts less than 2%.

Own music is roughly 8%.

Radio is still very definitely relevant/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

kippy wrote: »
    We might look at a number of areas for how we do things but we most closely model the UK and US if you think about it.

Indeed we do but we also look at other European countries to try and emulate in social/health policy ect. We could in this case look at what the Netherlands is doing in capping the pay and bringing the public broadcasting into a more cost efficient manner.

Again, there are two issues:
    1. The focus and use of the TV License fee needs to be looked at.
    2. There are a cohort of people out there who simply aren't compliant with the existing regime of payment. This needs to be sorted.

Saying, I won't pay for it because I don't and/or won't use it isn't an excuse anyone should be able use.

For your item number one it needs to be looked at seriously and hard decisions made to make sure that we are propping up a public broadcast mechanism without propping up a commercial entity.

The reason a cohort of people exist is because we have not got item number one in order. Given a choice i would also not pay for it, not while we have RTE in its current form but to me RTE doesn't have to be the face of public broadcasting we could start investing elsewhere.

If we don't want people having excuses not to pay the TV license then include or build it into another tax. However if this becomes a reality then i would also expect costs to be brought under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Calhoun wrote: »
    For your item number one it needs to be looked at seriously and hard decisions made to make sure that we are propping up a public broadcast mechanism without propping up a commercial entity.

The reason a cohort of people exist is because we have not got item number one in order. Given a choice i would also not pay for it, not while we have RTE in its current form but to me RTE doesn't have to be the face of public broadcasting we could start investing elsewhere.

If we don't want people having excuses not to pay the TV license then include or build it into another tax. However if this becomes a reality then i would also expect costs to be brought under control.

Are you sure about this?

I'd add that you are legally obliged to pay your taxes (same as the TV License) - do you think that all government spending is efficient and costs under control?

I'd like both 1 and 2 to be sorted out but in the mean time there are plenty people that don't and won't pay while there is a way out for them - if they did one would ask (especially with the population/household increases) would RTE need an increase in fees in the first instance.

• Advertisement

Are you sure about this?

I'd add that you are legally obliged to pay your taxes (same as the TV License) - do you think that all government spending is efficient and costs under control?

I'd like both 1 and 2 to be sorted out but in the mean time there are plenty people that don't and won't pay while there is a way out for them - if they did one would ask (especially with the population/household increases) would RTE need an increase in fees in the first instance.

From my opinion yes i am sure about it. Its a little rich for RTE to be pulling the poor mouth when delivery such a sub par service.

We are legally obliged to pay taxes but this one currently is a license and not exactly a tax so can be circumvented, however given an option if i could not pay tax and get away with it you would be damned sure i would because to answer your second part of the question the government spending is not exactly efficient but i don't see it as bad as RTE.

I don't really care to be honest, do you work for RTE or something? have family members down in limerick who are now in trouble and somehow think its the tax payers problem? I am glad the current situation forced them to this point and i would be very happy to see more of the gravy train dismantled.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Last night, primetime Sunday night viewing they had a 2014 imported movie on RTE1 (Taken 3) and a 2015 imported movie on RTE2 (Hot Pursuit).
    I don't think Liam Neeson's presence in Taken 3 should meet the definition of 'cultivating Irish talent' :)

that's not bad for state broadcasting, an oul movie on a sunday night for the people with no broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,700 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

that's not bad for state broadcasting, an oul movie on a sunday night for the people with no broadband.

One oul movie grand.
    Two oul movies in primetime slot is being a bit lazy.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,700 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Saw these figures in an article about RTE... why have costs gone up so much since 2013? Is that just inflation?
    Licence Fee and Advertising revenue have slightly increased.

2013 Licence Fee 182m & Advertising 110m, Costs 317m.

2018 Licence Fee 186m & Advertising 114m, Costs 345m.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I heard David Puttnam on earlier with Mary Wilson talking about PSB.

This link is interesting - http://www.davidputtnam.com/viewNews/n/psbs-are-more-vital-than-ever/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Are you sure about this?

If I could dodge paying for Horse Racing and other stuff I would, but it's much easier to single out RTE, because of the licence thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Saw these figures in an article about RTE... why have costs gone up so much since 2013? Is that just inflation?

2018 figures I'm pretty sure contain one off costs relating to the previous voluntarily redundancy programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

2018 figures I'm pretty sure contain one off costs relating to the previous voluntarily redundancy programme.

There were just over two million houses and apartments in the state in 2016. That figure coupled with a few hundred thousand commercial premises tell me that there is a massive amount of non compliance and again collection of and compliance with the fee is the elephant in the room.
    The fee could and should be reduced if all were compliant coupled with some cost cutting measures at the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

There were just over two million houses and apartments in the state in 2016. That figure coupled with a few hundred thousand commercial premises tell me that there is a massive amount of non compliance and again collection of and compliance with the fee is the elephant in the room.
    The fee could and should be reduced if all were compliant coupled with some cost cutting measures at the station.

It's reckoned that if everyone who should by law be paying it were paying it then it could be dropped by at least €10 and RTE would still receive the same amount of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Boggles wrote: »
    Well there isn't really TBH. The options are pretty simple, they need lots more quality content and they need to achieve this with relative pittance.

The Den was brilliant kids' programming back in the days of Zig and Zag and Dustin the Turkey. And I'm sure it cost practically nothing to make. So yes, it can be done.

You're obsessed with Netflix having hundreds of millions to spend on shows, when all RTE needs is a bit of imagination, creativity, and intelligence. Nobody is expecting them to make Game of Thrones -- but surely they can do better than Daniel and Majella's B&B Road Trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It is indeed a huge problem, but the question then is why are so many evading the charge? Is it simply because they can get away with it and have better things to do with €160?

While the above may be the simple truth, it is also true that a lot of people think that RTE is completely out of touch when it comes to how it rewards it's staff (it's stars particularly), biased in it's reporting (essentially shepherding opinion rather than laying out the unvarnished facts) and really just being self serving. I think RTE was genuinely taken aback by the reaction on social media to it's woes - which essential reflects how out of touch it has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,472 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Den was brilliant kids' programming back in the days of Zig and Zag and Dustin the Turkey. And I'm sure it cost practically nothing to make. So yes, it can be done.

You're obsessed with Netflix having hundreds of millions to spend on shows, when all RTE needs is a bit of imagination, creativity, and intelligence. Nobody is expecting them to make Game of Thrones -- but surely they can do better than Daniel and Majella's B&B Road Trip.

Sure I’d love an Irish Fraggle Rock

That was more for adults than kids. No way would Dustin be allowed get away with what he did back then in this current environment.

Also it was pre internet so realistically the only show in town.
    You're obsessed with Netflix having hundreds of millions to spend on shows,

You brought Netflix into it, not me.

I think the comparisons are monumentally daft.
    when all RTE needs is a bit of imagination, creativity, and intelligence. Nobody is expecting them to make Game of Thrones -- but surely they can do better than Daniel and Majella's B&B Road Trip.

Anything with weeeee Daniel is a ratings winner, should be making more of that shíté in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Fairly damning that advertising revenue only rose 4 million in 5 years - 3.5 %.
    Just shows how little they seem to have to work when they are getting propped up by the state for the rest of it.

There needs to be full visibility on this on all sides.
    How much is fair city costing to run per year??
    how much did such great shows like Marty in Bernard go to NYC cost- how many staff went with them , how did they travel , where did they stay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

That was more for adults than kids. No way would Dustin be allowed get away with what he did back then in this current environment.

Also it was pre internet so realistically the only show in town.

You brought Netflix into it, not me.

I think the comparisons are monumentally daft.

Anything with weeeee Daniel is a ratings winner, should be making more of that shíté in reality.

The Den wasn't for adults, it was a kids show that gave nods and winks to teenagers and adults (parents). That's what good kids tv shows and movies do; its primarily for kids, but has enough in it to keep everyone entertained.

You're making it sound like Dustin would be metoo'd.

tigger123 wrote: »
    The Den wasn't for adults, it was a kids show that gave nods and winks to teenagers and adults (parents). That's what good kids tv shows and movies do; its primarily for kids, but has enough in it to keep everyone entertained.

You're making it sound like Dustin would be metoo'd.

Probably.

That was more for adults than kids.
    Disagree. I clearly recall as if it were yesterday Ian Dempsey getting ticked off and giving out to them on air,
    that First Year students from a Regional Technical College (before they were relabelled IT's ) writing in about their appreciation of the show. Dempsey was genuinely disgusted with them, he did not realize the letter was from them and not kids.

Disagree. I clearly recall as if it were yesterday Ian Dempsey getting ticked off and giving out to them on air,
    that First Year students from a Regional Technical College (before they were relabelled IT's ) writing in about their appreciation of the show. Dempsey was genuinely disgusted with them, he did not realize the letter was from them and not kids.

Does that not prove my point. :confused:

It was an absolute stable for adult college kids.

There is absolutely no way it would be commissioned or they would get away with what they did in 2019.

They all made the transition to "adult" shows, which again entirely backs up the point that it was popular because of adults.

Now kids liked it too, I never said they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Does that not prove my point. :confused:

It was an absolute stable for adult college kids.

There is absolutely no way it would be commissioned or they would get away with what they did in 2019.

They all made the transition to "adult" shows, which again entirely backs up the point that it was popular because of adults.

Now kids liked it too, I never said they didn't.

The Den was liked by both adults and children. Many of the myths surrounding The Den have been denied by Zig and Zag on their Twitter account, they said they always understood that they were presenting a TV show for Children. It was mass appeal and possibly to only Irish TV series to have mass merchandising. From Tee-shirts to albums, Direct-to-video releases to Pencils and Pens.

Look at The Muppets and Sesame Street (PBS) clearly for children but with the understanding that adults will be watching also.

RTÉ have completely missed that opportunity over the years, spending just 3m on children's content is a scandal, particularly when they lied and said that they would not cut this content.

I know it is different times but that does mean you stop producing children's content, which in effect is what they have done.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    The Den was liked by both adults and children. Many of the myths surrounding The Den have been denied by Zig and Zag on their Twitter account, they said they always understood that they were presenting a TV show for Children. It was mass appeal and possibly to only Irish TV series to have mass merchandising. From Tee-shirts to albums, Direct-to-video releases to Pencils and Pens.

Look at The Muppets and Sesame Street (PBS) clearly for children but with the understanding that adults will be watching also.

RTÉ have completely missed that opportunity over the years, spending just 3m on children's content is a scandal, particularly when they lied and said that they would not cut this content.

I know it is different times but that does mean you stop producing children's content, which in effect is what they have done.

I never said they shouldn't, but a stuffed Turkey Vulture singing about strippers and dry humping female guests would never in a million years be allowed anywhere near childrens content now.

Probably shouldn't have been back then in reality.

But yeah they should definitely invest in children's content, but can they compete even if they double, treble their budgets. They should at least try.

Advertisement