Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Cutbacks The Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Boggles wrote: »
    I never said they shouldn't, but a stuffed Turkey Vulture singing about strippers and dry humping female guests would never in a million years be allowed anywhere near childrens content now.

Probably shouldn't have been back then in reality.

But yeah they should definitely invest in children's content, but can they compete even if they double, treble their budgets. They should at least try.

It's funny how the tables turn when conservative Ireland was against them, now liberal Ireland has gone full circle. (BTW he didn't dry hump them, he was all bravado and quite when they arrived).

RTÉ isn't there to be this Goliath, it's there to provide a service to the Irish public first and foremost.

RTÉ have a tendency to say that the won't do things because others are already doing them, this is a cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ have a tendency to say that the won't do things because others are already doing them, this is a cop out.

Well no. But you do have to pick your fights. Foolish otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I never said they shouldn't, but a stuffed Turkey Vulture singing about strippers and dry humping female guests would never in a million years be allowed anywhere near childrens content now.

Dustin the Turkey began on the Den but went on to become a general RTE "personality," appearing across numerous RTE productions, some targeted at children and others at adults.

You're trying to lump all of his appearances together as "children's content" when many clearly were not pitched at children.

Well no. But you do have to pick your fights. Foolish otherwise.

There shouldn't be fights RTÉ should understand that they can only do there best.

It's pointless having a Commissioning Editor for both Drama and Children's Content when you are commissioning so few programmes in those genres a year and when you have such tiny budgets.

RTÉ in 2016 announced the move of Children's Content from RTÉ to independent producers, at the lowest RTÉ would have had to invest 6million in Independent Children's content, they invested about 3m in each subsequent year.

RTÉ would not start commissioning programming for Children's Content until mid-2017 meaning for 2017 vast majority of programmes for children had been produced in 2016. What did there children's commissioning editors do for 6 months?

The same goes for Drama. For example RTÉ can't decide to produce a small drama, it has to be the next The Wire or the Irish version of The Good Wife. Was Striking Out really worth 500,000 per hour?

Dustin the Turkey began on the Den but went on to become a general RTE "personality," appearing across numerous RTE productions, some targeted at children and others at adults.

He has made the very odd cameo since the Den finished, the bulk of his work was on the Den.

His appearances on the Toy Show were hilarious.

"I love the way Pat Kenny made the toy show his own, ignoring the kids and kicking the toys around".

:p

They should definitely give him a talk show.

• Advertisement

The same goes for Drama. For example RTÉ can't decide to produce a small drama, it has to be the next The Wire or the Irish version of The Good Wife. Was Striking Out really worth 500,000 per hour?

What's a "small drama" and have you an example of a recent successful one?

He has made the very odd cameo since the Den finished, the bulk of his work was on the Den.

You've been posting compilations of his appearances from other shows or musical recordings, and then claiming that he was singing about strippers and dry-humping female guests on the Den.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He was like Bosco compared to Podge and Rodge. Although AFAIK their adult and children's material was kept in separate compartments?

You've been posting compilations of his appearances from other shows or musical recordings, and then claiming that he was singing about strippers and dry-humping female guests on the Den.

No I didn't.

If you think he would get away with the stuff he did now, then so be it, I disagree.

Like I said he is funny and should be given his own adult talk show.

What's a "small drama" and have you an example of a recent successful one?

Does it have to be successful? I can name many "big dramas" that have been unsuccessful. How could I have the name of a recent successful small drama when RTÉ, TG4 and Virgin Media aren't commissioning them, Darklands seems to have only got funding from the BAI with an extra part from Screen Ireland.

RTÉ, TG4 and Film Ireland all produce small short films with tiny budgets. Virgin Media awarded 35,000 to a short film for the VMDIFF, small change for them.

Though if you want to see a tiny budget for a Children's Drama you should check out Mini Moguls on the RTÉ Player, you then try to proceed to poking your eyes out with a fork to try to un-see the abomination.

• Advertisement

Does it have to be successful?

:confused:

It would help, no?

No I didn't.

If you think he would get away with the stuff he did now, then so be it, I disagree.

You started off criticizing the Den, saying that children's programming like that wouldn't be allowed today.

You moved on to illustrate your point with clips of Dustin the Turkey singing about strippers and dry-humping women — ignoring the fact that these clips were not from the Den.

All this in an effort to create a distraction from my original point, which is that innovative, funny, and appealing programming doesn't have to cost a fortune.

RTE needs to go back to drawing board and make good TV again, rather than sitting around moaning about the lost millions due to the TV licence model.

You started off criticizing the Den, saying that children's programming like that wouldn't be allowed today.

You moved on to illustrate your point with clips of Dustin the Turkey singing about strippers and dry-humping women — ignoring the fact that these clips were not from the Den.

All this in an effort to create a distraction from my original point, which is that innovative, funny, and appealing programming doesn't have to cost a fortune.

RTE needs to go back to drawing board and make good TV again, rather than sitting around moaning about the lost millions due to the TV licence model.

Again you are missing the point, I never said it wasn't good TV I used watch it as an adult.

His album was aimed at children and adults, he was a children's character who predominately appeared on children's TV.

His appeal was he was controversially funny.

My simple point which for some strange reason you are completely and willfully ignoring is I don't think he would be allowed on childrens TV in 2019.

My simple point which for some strange reason you are completely and willfully ignoring is I don't think he would be allowed on childrens TV in 2019.

Dustin the Turkey co-hosted TV3's version of the Toy Show in 2016, a programme obviously aimed at children.

If he was "allowed" to do that in 2016, why wouldn't he be acceptable on a children's TV show in 2019?

Regardless of the content its unlikely that even a supposed toned down version of the Turkey would appear on Irish TV in 2019, because they've given up. So the argument is moot.

You'd think Hacker T Dog didn't exist on CBBC.

Dustin the Turkey co-hosted TV3's version of the Toy Show in 2016, a programme obviously aimed at children.

If he was "allowed" to do that in 2016, why wouldn't he be acceptable on a children's TV show in 2019?

It was terrible and it was axed.

Hardly a great example is it?

It was terrible and it was axed.

Hardly a great example is it?

Changing the subject again.

I'm not commenting on the quality of TV3's Toy Show — I'm rebutting your baseless and untrue assertion that Dustin the Turkey wouldn't be "allowed" on children's TV in 2019.

Changing the subject again.

I'm not commenting on the quality of TV3's Toy Show — I'm rebutting your baseless and untrue assertion that Dustin the Turkey wouldn't be "allowed" on children's TV in 2019.

Well if it is baseless and untrue, why isn't he on childrens TV in 2019?

There has never been more options, RTE ain't the only show in town anymore.

AFAIK he hasn't been on any TV since that god awful TV3 toy show effort.

Well if it is baseless and untrue, why isn't he on childrens TV in 2019?

I don't know. There are many possible reasons.

It's up to you to substantiate your baseless assumption that he's not "allowed" to appear on children's TV anymore because he sang a song about a stripper, etc.

Sue Barker AKA our Bibi Baskin.

• Advertisement

I don't know. There are many possible reasons.

It's up to you to substantiate your baseless assumption that he's not "allowed" to appear on children's TV anymore because he sang a song about a stripper, etc.

How is it baseless, he is no longer on any TV. :confused:

Over to you to back up your claim.

Let me get a pencil.

Let me get a pencil.

Name an Irish children's host still on the TV today hosting children's programming? I have my pencil ready.

Sue Barker AKA our Bibi Baskin.

Good Lord, that was horrendous.

Name an Irish children's host still on the TV today hosting children's programming? I have my pencil ready.

Cillian Sherlock and Aisling Moloney

Let me get a pencil.

He is no longer on TV, ergo he must not be "allowed" on TV. That's your faulty logic at play.

Dustin co-presented TV3's Toy Show in 2016. Were there protests? Angry parents demanding that Dustin be removed from the airwaves and prevented from ever appearing again because he once sang a version of "Patricia the Stripper"?

He is no longer on TV, ergo he must not be "allowed" on TV. That's your faulty logic at play.

Again you appear to be having an argument with yourself.

I never said he wouldn't be allowed on TV, I have said he should get his own TV show.

But it's probably rather pointless what I type, your just ignoring it and sticking in your own version of reality.

I don't think he would be allowed on childrens TV in 2019.
    I never said he wouldn't be allowed on TV.

Yep...

You might want to compare those 2 statements again lad.

:rolleyes:

Cillian Sherlock and Aisling Moloney

Oh RTÉ's fob news programme for Children. That's 2 I suppose I shouldn't expect many more.

• Advertisement

RTÉ Radio 1 and RTÉ 1 need to be kept as an absolute minimum.
    Lyric is also another which the public market does not service.

RTÉ 2 and 2FM should be long gone.

Reason the main TV and radio stations need to be kept is that we need a public news service.
    Service for national sports (Sky is not an option behind a paywall) and leaving only Virgin means no competition and sports organisations will suffer. Unless you want government to directly fund the shortfall.

What we really need is more home made TV drama. Bloody hell we have the actors (always do), the BBC and American TV/Film is awash with our established names. Funds that would be freed up from the bloat could go to funding these.
    And I mean proper shows, not the muck they cobble together on the shoestring budgets they have left over. If UK channels can make Young Offenders, Derry Girls, Falling Down (for the Irish slant) or simple well made shows like Unforgotten, Line of Duty etc there is nothing stopping RTÉ commissioning similar.
    FFS look at the casts on some of these, these people have done well in UK/America, varying degrees to be sure but the talent is there even outside these headliners.

Love/Hate:
    • Tom Vaughan-Lawlor
    • Aoibhinn McGinnity
    • Charlie Murphy
    • Robert Sheehan

Love is the Drug
    • Allen Leech
    • Ruth Negga
    • Ruth Bradley
    • Orla Fitzgerald
    • Colin O'Donoghue

Bachelor's Walk
    • Don Wycherley
    • Simon Delaney
    • Keith McErlean
    • Kelly Campbell

Pure Mule had Charlene McKenna

Charlie Murphy locked into HALO now.

We most definitely produce the talent, just give them muck to work with on screen here.

Advertisement