Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Cutbacks The Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Charlie Murphy locked into HALO now.

We most definitely produce the talent, just give them muck to work with on screen here.

I don't really understand your point. She is a freelance actor who can work for whoever she wants.

She has appeared in numerous productions on RTE and had a lead role in their most expensive production ever.

She has done extremely well out of RTE but in reality she owes them nothing.

It's up to her where she works.

Boggles wrote: »
    I don't really understand your point. She is a freelance actor who can work for whoever she wants.

She has appeared in numerous productions on RTE and had a lead role in their most expensive production ever.

She has done extremely well out of RTE but in reality she owes them nothing.

It's up to her where she works.

Maybe reread it to aid your comprehension.

Maybe reread it to aid your comprehension.

I did. It's incorrect.

She has probably appeared in the RTE's best productions from the last 10-20 years.

I did. It's incorrect.

She has probably appeared in the RTE's best productions from the last 10-20 years.

Oh Jesus.

I plainly say that it's RTÉ letting our actors down as you have to trawl through some sh1te to get the few good shows, above.
    No one having a go at actors moving onto to bigger things, rather lamenting the fact that RTÉ struggle to provide them with quality productions

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

One of the issues leaving it to FDI is that its not always the case that they will be using Ireland as a setting or location.

Channel 4 and the BBC were forced to commission "national" programming from the "nations" and "regions". Hence BBC NI's The Fall, Young Offenders and Channel 4's Derry Girls. And I think we are lucky to get one or two dramas a year from that.

RTÉ need to commission both big and small dramas. There's a sense that with no smaller dramas being being produced that Ireland is competing internationally.

Take Dublin Murders it was adapted for the screen by an English writer, I'd question why a person from Ireland was invited to take on that adaptation (including an English person who's lived in Ireland for a number of years). Irish writers have a problem they don't have experience that she gain in England.

I mean there's talk of diversity but when local writers can barely get a foot in how do you expect to get diversity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Calhoun wrote: »
    From my opinion yes i am sure about it. Its a little rich for RTE to be pulling the poor mouth when delivery such a sub par service.

We are legally obliged to pay taxes but this one currently is a license and not exactly a tax so can be circumvented, however given an option if i could not pay tax and get away with it you would be damned sure i would because to answer your second part of the question the government spending is not exactly efficient but i don't see it as bad as RTE.

I don't really care to be honest, do you work for RTE or something? have family members down in limerick who are now in trouble and somehow think its the tax payers problem? I am glad the current situation forced them to this point and i would be very happy to see more of the gravy train dismantled.

To clarify, I do not work for RTE or have any connection with it. But I am not sure how or why that is relevant.

Oh Jesus.

I plainly say that it's RTÉ letting our actors down as you have to trawl through some sh1te to get the few good shows, above.
    No one having a go at actors moving onto to bigger things, rather lamenting the fact that RTÉ struggle to provide them with quality productions

But again that is in true when it comes to actor you highlighted.

Her CV is quite decent when it comes to telly, everything she did with RTE was well received and probably some of their best work.

She was given a lead role in their most expensive ever production.

She choose to move to the UK and now the States.

I can't see how RTE can be accused of letting her down in all honesty.

I can't see how RTE can be accused of letting her down in all honesty.

Hard to know, the industry as a whole may be letting actors down. Most actors move to London from Ireland due to lack of work. Charlene McKenna moved after Pure Mule. She was also in Ripper Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,700 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Channel 4 recently aired This Way Up, with two Irish lead actresses - Aisling Bea & Sharon Horgan - playing Irish sisters in London.
    The show is created by Aisling Bea.

Now maybe they've outgrown the Irish pool, it is a very small pool - but I thought it remarkable.

This wasn't a drama where the nationality of the actresses was important to the plot, it was a vehicle for Bea.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Elmo wrote: »
    Hard to know, the industry as a whole may be letting actors down. Most actors move to London from Ireland due to lack of work. Charlene McKenna moved after Pure Mule. She was also in Ripper Street.

Of course there is a lack work, we have the theater, a small but very good film industry and 2 TV companies with relative pittance to work with.

The MO for most Irish actors with talent and ambition is to get to London with the ultimate goal of getting to LA.

• Advertisement

Of course there is a lack work, we have the theater, a small but very good film industry and 2 TV companies with relative pittance to work with.

The MO for most Irish actors with talent and ambition is to get to London with the ultimate goal of getting to LA.

Problem is for Irish Actors it should be Dublin > London > US and should they want to stay in the small pool or not make it out of the small pool then they should be let.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You need pass a ring of nepotistic gob****es to get a drama or comedy approved. That's the only issue. We have the talent and many of these short run dramas would likely be cheaper than Fair City to produce. We've a great number of script writers knocking around the arts grant, short film market trying to cobble together enough money to make a ten minute film while the same arseholes in RTE get gifted positions of authority deciding what they think is good drama.
    It all goes back to RTE needing to be torn down and rebuilt IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

This point has nothing to do with RTE.

But if there was a script good enough and a budget big enough, I'd love to see a film made with say the top 20 Irish actors that are out there.
    Cillian Murphy, Saoirse Ronan, Colin Farrell, Liam Neeson ect. all up on screen in the one show would be very cool imo. The story would obviously have to be set in Ireland, and would prefer it to have nothing to do with Republicanism just because. Is there an Irish book with a good story that could pull it off?

But if there was a script good enough and a budget big enough, I'd love to see a film made with say the top 20 Irish actors that are out there.
    Cillian Murphy, Saoirse Ronan, Colin Farrell, Liam Neeson ect. all up on screen in the one show would be very cool imo. The story would obviously have to be set in Ireland, and would prefer it to have nothing to do with Republicanism just because. Is there an Irish book with a good story that could pull it off?

Guerilla Days in Ireland?

Monkey Tennis?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

All Irish cast version of Dracula - by Irish author, Bram Stoker.

Cillian Murphy - Dracula
    Saoirse Ronan - Mina
    Colin Farrell - Harker
    Liam Neeson - Van Helsing
    Brendan Gleeson - Dr Seward
    Michael Fassbender - Lord Holmwood
    Marty Morrissey - Renfield

Cillian Murphy - Dracula
    Saoirse Ronan - Mina
    Colin Farrell - Harker

A mini series has just been finished.

Also I think people have vampire fatigue.

A mini series has just been finished.

Also I think people have vampire fatigue.

They just need some blood!

True factual story.
    I once had an RTE producer say to me, 'Bram Stoker wrote Dracula. A lot of people don't know he was Irish', like she was dropping a knowledge bomb. The impression I got was that she had just recently found this out herself. She was young enough, but I'd expect a little more from a producer, likely assistant, on a Dracula/Bram Stoker documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They just need some blood!

RTÉ needs new blood at a cheaper but fair wage.

• Advertisement

True factual story.
    I once had an RTE producer say to me, 'Bram Stoker wrote Dracula. A lot of people don't know he was Irish', like she was dropping a knowledge bomb. The impression I got was that she had just recently found this out herself. She was young enough, but I'd expect a little more from a producer, likely assistant, on a Dracula/Bram Stoker documentary.

Did RTE produce a Dracula/Bram Stoker documentary?

Did RTE produce a Dracula/Bram Stoker documentary?

https://www.screenireland.ie/directory/view/410/dracula%27s-bram-stoker/archive

2003 when they had a series of arts docs called Arts Lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Mezzotint wrote: »
    It needs to be hosted by a cloud company for a start, but it would make an awful lot more sense for a group of European PSBs of RTE's size to come together and pool their resources to create a reliable streaming platform that they controlled themselves.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. A streaming platform for European television stations, all it needs is a catchy name...EuroTube? Eurostream? Euroview?

https://www.screenireland.ie/directory/view/410/dracula%27s-bram-stoker/archive

2003 when they had a series of arts docs called Arts Lives.

And the year matches :)

TBF, I'd no idea if it got made. My meeting was in the pre-production stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Cillian Murphy - Dracula
    Saoirse Ronan - Mina
    Colin Farrell - Harker

if it goes well they could do the huntchback of notre dame after, June rogers is a shoe in for quasimodo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭elperello

if it goes well they could do the huntchback of notre dame after, June rogers is a shoe in for quasimodo.

Whatever about poor old June they will have to wait a few more years to shoot on location :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Monkey Tennis?

Youth hostelling with Chris Eubank?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Rte news must have the most correspondents per news station. They have them every where. They must be paying a fortune for them. For such a small country do we really need to hear some plank outside a labour court or george lee failed td down in back end of nowhere talking ****. Rte is just the biggest gravy train ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

NUJ launches 'Save RTE' campaign
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1115/1091204-rte-union-campaign/

Séamus Dooley, Irish Secretary of the NUJ, said: "There is a financial crisis in RTÉ and both An Taoiseach and the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment must give leadership on this issue."

I suspect the campaign is aimed more at Fianna Fail though, looking to extract a firm commitment that they will 'ride to the rescue' of RTE if elected to government and fast-track the introduction of a "device independent broadcasting charge".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

True factual story.

The same people who'd tell you to take a tablet if you had a headache.

Advertisement