Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Cutbacks The Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Illegal streamers provided a more reliable online service during the Rugby World Cup than our multimillion-euro national broadcaster.

The RTE player currently gets an abysmal 1.6 stars on Google's Play Store. The BBC iPlayer gets 4 stars and the ITV Hub gets 4.4 stars. Channel 4's app gets 4.8 stars.

Maybe if RTE put money into things that people actually value, such as a good streaming service, and stopped pumping it into a black hole of lavish salaries for presenters and executives, people would be more supportive.

I would love to know how much they did spend on it though.

You're quite correct, the illegal services I use to stream sports are far more reliable and have much higher video quality than the RTE player - I presume these illegal guys are operating on a shoestring budget compared to the eye-watering salaries prevalent in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I would see it as 2 things

1. If they shy away from it they will be called out as hiding away from making 200 people jobless
    2. They can manage the message to push Forbes idea of broadcasting charge, without tackling the systemic issues in RTÉ such as the permanent staff numbers and the insistence of having their headquarters in a sprawling DonnyBrook campus.

"The 200 jobs to be cut will be on a voluntary basis and a large portion of them will include the RTÉ symphony orchestra moving to the control of the National Concert Hall"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Bob Harris wrote: »
    "The 200 jobs to be cut will be on a voluntary basis and a large portion of them will include the RTÉ symphony orchestra moving to the control of the National Concert Hall"

Source for this? BTW how many people are actually members of the Orchestra?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I would love to know how much they did spend on it though.

You're quite correct, the illegal services I use to stream sports are far more reliable and have much higher video quality than the RTE player - I presume these illegal guys are operating on a shoestring budget compared to the eye-watering salaries prevalent in RTE.

If you think Saudi Arabia operate on a shoe string.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

How often do the orchestras actually work? What do they do? Are many full time?

• Advertisement

Typical Public Service attitude in RTE. Absolutely no interest in making any radical changes to reflect the changing environment they are operating in.

A few cosmetic changes and they'll be back with their paws out looking for more money from the hard-pressed tax-payers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jelutong

Is there really a need for RTE One+1 and RTE Two +1?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Tubridy's salary was 723k in 2011. 8 years later and it'll be not much more than half that.
    Still a generous salary but from his point of view it has to sting a bit losing just over 300k per year in that time.

I don’t look at it like that. He’s been over psych hundreds of thousands. He’s still overpaid. They could put a puppet hosting the late late and it had such a following from the mainly older demographic, that they would still watch it. Even after this cost cutting , the pay and I bet you th practices , will still be massively wasteful !

jelutong wrote: »
    Is there really a need for RTE One+1 and RTE Two +1?

Probably not. But given the RTE own Saorview, it would cost very little to transmit them.

Their own financial report is outragious.

A 33million increase in costs in the last 5 years is spun as a 23% reduction - anyone with half a brain can spot the trend here RTE, you bunch of spoofers!

How about we axe 2FM and one of the orchestras for a start? - that's about €7.5 million saved every year - you're welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

No mention of cutting 2 FM? I fail to see the rationale there. Maybe someone could explain that? What function does it fulfill that isn't already fulfilled by commercial radio?
    There's no public service element there.
    It tells you that this is window dressing and no more than that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I find that hard to believe. Likely the will remain public servants.
    Paid by who is the question.
    Does the NCH not receive a portion of the licence fee? Or possibly from the Arts budget similar to the Abbey.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The trouble with this discussion is that everyone thinks they know how to run RTE.
    A bit like the way every drinker thinks he could run a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

You would be thinking that RTE was not funded by the public. It's getting 221€ million FFS.

Tubbs, D'Arcy and Duffy are paid 0.64% of that budget.

Reducing them all down to 150k a year would then equate to 0.21% of budget and most likely settle a lot of the public.

The question is if 0.64% of the budget so far on three people, what are they spending the rest on. I know they give a break down on costs. However if they think the likes of Duffy on 400k is value for money, what else do they think is value for money that is vastly over priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

zeebre12 wrote: »
    No mention of RTE News Now getting the chop?

That at least serves a purpose.....something 2FM hasn't done for many many year

elperello wrote: »
    The trouble with this discussion is that everyone thinks they know how to run RTE.

Exactly.

They are basing their "decisions" on personal dislikes.

95% of everything that is on all media is shíté, the 5% comes down to personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,700 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Boggles wrote: »
    Exactly.
    They are basing their "decisions" on personal dislikes. 95% of everything that is on all media is shíté, the 5% comes down to personal preference.

I don't think you are reading the same thread as me.
    Lots of people questioning 2FM and other services, not on whether they like it or dislike it but where does it fit in RTE's public service remit.
    Lots of people questioning whether salaries paid represent value for money.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Majority of issues with RTE comes down to interview process which goes like

Paul walks in, exceptional guy. Could really add value. Then John walks in, f**king useless but his father or godfather or he is 5th cousin of someone already in RTE......guess which person gets the job

Seems to be similar in project. Company A walks in, great product and really what RTE needs to move with the times. Company B walks in and product is inferior, but salesperson is again the 6th cousin of someone in RTE. Company B walks away with contract.

A lot of excellent companies have stopped bidding on tenders in RTE. The simple fact is they waste massive amount of time putting something together to get kicked out of process because they don't have a relative from RTE working......

It would be interesting to ask Dee of all the projects they have ongoing, how many get delivered? and how many get delivered ontime and in budget?

I wouldn't have a clue how to run RTE. But you have to admit their is some glaring things which could be changed and make it a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A bit like the way every drinker thinks he could run a pub...using just the money he puts into it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

SPDUB wrote: »
    200 jobs lost

While nobody delights in job losses, RTE is grossly overstaffed and needs to shed numbers.
    Indefinite pay freeze for all staff

The average salary at RTE is €60,518, with over 125 employees making more than €100,000 a year. Quite simply, they are hugely overpaid, and should count themselves lucky their salaries aren't being cut.
    10pc pay cut for senior executives

The salaries of RTE's incompetent senior management team should be cut by at least 50%.
    15 per cent pay cut for its highest earning presenters

Presenters should have a salary cap of €100k. If Tubridy, D'Arcy, et al, can make more money elsewhere, let them go. I'm sure there are others who will do a good job.
    Lyric will not closed but will “much reduced” and operate out of Dublin and Cork

Lyric FM was always a non-serious classical station. BBC Radio 3 is miles better.
    Other cuts include the closure of RTɒs digital radio stations and the closure of Aertel.

Services that only a handful use anyway.
    All major sporting events will be moved to RTÉ One.

What's the point of RTE 2 now? Broadcasting Australian soaps and US imported shows? It's simply not needed and should be closed. RTE can easily fulfill its public service remit with one channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I am sceptical about his so called popularity. I regularly hear ppl bitterly criticize him and cannot hand on heart say I’ve ever heard someone say they are a fan of either his radio or tv show

Anyway, moving on I would say call his bluff offer him a rock bottom fee and I suspect he will take it. If not, no hard feelings ray it’s not personal

I've heard loads of people say they used to like him, but he became an aul wan towards the end of his time at today FM, ranting about stuff he didn't like or understand and praising Jenny, running and porridge.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I don't think you are reading the same thread as me.
    Lots of people questioning 2FM and other services, not on whether they like it or dislike it but where does it fit in RTE's public service remit.
    Lots of people questioning whether salaries paid represent value for money.

It fitted the remit in the 70s and 80s where there was no alternative except pirates and RTE had a monopoly and possibly 2FM broke even.

With liberalisation and the advent of numerous alternative stations, the reason for 2FM declined dramatically. And today there is no remit for 2FM, especially if its loss making.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Dee Forbes is the source.

https://orchestras.rte.ie/performinggroup/rte-national-symphony-orchestra/
      https://orchestras.rte.ie/performinggroup/rte-concert-orchestra/
      https://orchestras.rte.ie/performinggroup/rte-philharmonic-choir/

How many are full time I don't know.

1. Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

stick a cheap movie on RTE2 and fill rte1 with the little sport they have left i guess

as aside i dont think ive heard bryan dobson as annoyed about anything as this when he was "interviewing" dee forbes on morning ireland this morning.

shame he cant get that animated about some real issues

Is this interview available to watch somewhere?

2. Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Acosta

Bought a house a couple of months back and the TV licence letter came today of all days. The day RTE have basically announced they're done with alternative music with the closure of 2xm. That'll be going straight into the recycling.

3. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

McGaggs wrote: »
      Is this interview available to watch somewhere?

It's a radio interview -- you can listen to it here.

4. Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Boggles wrote: »
      Because RTE are not a tech company, they have outsourced the nuts and bolts of the player AFAIK.

Now it could be because that company are incompetent or maybe the tech that makes it run better is more expensive.

The reason the player is **** is because it forces 3 mins of ads on the viewer every time it stops.

That was a policy decision.

5. Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Never understood why the orchestras don't come under the remit of the Arts Council.

6. Advertisement
    7. Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Stating the fact that 2FM does not fulfill any public service obligation and there is no justification for keeping it open does not require expertise in media management

Advertisement