Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Cutbacks The Plan

Options

Comments

Dee Forbes repeatedly quoted whinging about the need for these cuts, given the government's failure to extract enough licence revenue from the taxpayer -- although this is comical from someone with a total remuneration package of €338,000.

When pushed on Morning Ireland, she said the savings of the cuts to the top salaries will be 15% of 3 Million which is 450k. Gitting rid of Joe Duffy alone would bring in that saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,822 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

zeebre12 wrote: »
    How often do the orchestras actually work? What do they do? Are many full time?

It costs just shy of €250k a week to keep the orchestras going, shouldn't be RTE and the licence payer bankrolling this rich man's jukebox.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I don't think you are reading the same thread as me.
    Lots of people questioning 2FM and other services, not on whether they like it or dislike it but where does it fit in RTE's public service remit.
    Lots of people questioning whether salaries paid represent value for money.

RTE doesn't just have a Public Remit is has a commercial one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Nell McCafferty is probably doing a merry dance around her kitchen now after Tubbs peed her off on Tuesdays Late Late.

Nell McCafferty is probably doing a merry dance around her kitchen now after Tubbs peed her off on Tuesdays Late Late.

He handled her well TBF.

Live telly and you have her písséd out of her tree with teeth hanging out ranting and raving.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Boggles wrote: »

Thanks for clearing that up. In this regard, RTE has been a commercial failure and stations like 2FM are clear examples of that.

Based on commercial value alone, 2FM should have been closed years ago as its loss making and dragging the rest of the business down.

There is no commercial or public remit value to keeping 2FM open. So why does it remain open?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,700 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is 2Fm fulfilling that? Separate to whether someone likes 2Fm or not?
    And why can't that be questioned?
    If you have information on how 2Fm's commercial activities are contributing positively to RTE's bottom line we're all ears.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

To me RTE has to do either one or the other. All the chat has been about PSB, how it's struggling and it's important to have a PSB. If they want to play the commercial gig then play it, with someone else's money and if it is public and it isn't working then shut it down.

Ryan Tubridy – €495,000
    Ray D'Arcy – €450,000
    Joe Duffy – €389,988
    Sean O’Rourke – €308,964
    Marian Finucane – €300,617
    Miriam O'Callaghan – €299,000
    Claire Byrne – €216,000
    Brian Dobson – €198,146
    George Hamilton – €186,195
    Mary Wilson – €185,679

These are the top 10 earners in RTE, can anyone justify any of these broadcasters being on this money? :O

Absolutely not justifying them, but if anything, I think Claire Byrne and Brian Dobson should be on more in comparison to some of their colleagues.

I can't remember the last time I saw or heard Marian Finucane on either TV or radio, so what does she do for her 300k? Ray D'Arcy on 450k is a joke, as is Joe Duffy on 389k. Cut that dead weight alone and save a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

RTE are simply a national public service media organisation.

I dont see why they cant do this using 1 TV channel - 1 Radio channel a website and an iplayer.

Looking at the TV Guide in relation to RTE owned stations, I cant see how even 60-70% of it relates to national public service media.

The Channels seem to be filled with Fillers.

The Ellen DeGeneres Show
    Shortland Street
    Home and Away
    Neighbours
    Doctors
    EastEnders
    The Goldbergs
    The Simpsons

It seems that Irish programming and Irish Talent is being treated as a Premium within our national broadcaster and deserve to be paid top buck.

• Advertisement

He handled her well TBF.

Live telly and you have her písséd out of her tree with teeth hanging out ranting and raving.

Not sure about that to be honest. He was short with a few people on Tuesday, cutting them off mid sentence too. He needed to come down to earth a bit for this show to succeed. Some of the guests were also given the "right... yeah... right..yeah...ok " in other words hurry up and say it already you boring twat treatment too. Tubbs was on edge.

If you have information on how 2Fm's commercial activities are contributing positively to RTE's bottom line we're all ears.

We regularly comment on the Liveline thread the choice of ads they play during the ad break, and half the time its for RTE services or for the TV license itself - and so bringing in little or no ad revenue.

If they are making similarly bad choices of ad breaks on 2FM, then it's not fulfilling its commercial remit either.

It makes more from commercial revenue then subsidy AFAIK.

It caters for a certain demographic and has a weekly listenership of around 880k on par with Todayfm.

I haven't listened to 2fm in 20 years, but what exactly irks you that it needs to be nuked?

Not sure about that to be honest. He was short with a few people on Tuesday, cutting them off mid sentence too. He needed to come down to earth a bit for this show to succeed. Some of the guests were also given the "right... yeah... right..yeah...ok " in other words hurry up and say it already you boring twat treatment too. Tubbs was on edge.

Actually was it just me or was our dear President an incoherent mess.

I hadn't a clue what he was saying.

I wonder was there a drinks reception before the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No, you weren't the only one.

It was mentioned a lot on the LLS Tribute Show thread.

To be fair, he rambles a lot at the best of times.

NIMAN wrote: »
    No, you weren't the only one.

It was mentioned a lot on the LLS Tribute Show thread.

To be fair, he rambles a lot at the best of times.

He does, but eventually he clicks into gear.

The other night it was all clutch and no pedal.

Not his articulate well spoken norm. He was getting a bit muddled with his thoughts. Maybe emotion of the occasion and drink got the better of him. Could be wrong though. I would say Higgins and Ulick O'Connor were the most frequent guests on Gaybo's Late Late.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,700 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It makes more from commercial revenue then subsidy AFAIK.
    It caters for a certain demographic and has a weekly listenership of around 880k on par with Todayfm.
    I haven't listened to 2fm in 20 years, but what exactly irks you that it needs to be nuked?

Why is it getting any subsidy?
    What exactly irks you about people questioning why it exists?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

We regularly comment on the Liveline thread the choice of ads they play during the ad break, and half the time its for RTE services or for the TV license itself - and so bringing in little or no ad revenue.

If they are making similarly bad choices of ad breaks on 2FM, then it's not fulfilling its commercial remit either.

I wonder is it possible to find out just how commercial RTEs commercial revenue is. Some days id swear the ad breaks on R1 consist almost entirely of advertising for state services.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

“Paddy o Gorman goes out with stags and hens in carrick on Shannon”

Ffs. Such tripe RTÉ serve

LEAVE PADDY O'GORMAN ALONE. :mad:

• Advertisement

Why is it getting any subsidy?
    What exactly irks you about people questioning why it exists?

I couldn't give a flying fúck if they burn it down.

I'm asking you why you think it should be closed down?

Figures are good, revenue is good, it's making a slight loss, but that could be easily turned around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I couldn't give a flying fúck if they burn it down.

I'm asking you why you think it should be closed down?

Figures are good, revenue is good, it's making a slight loss, but that could be easily turned around.

It's been making a huge loss for years. The only reason the loss isn't larger in the accounts is that they've increased the proportion of license fee money it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

In my mind public broadcasting should be able to broadcast items in the public interest, or things that would not be commercially viable on their own. That's why the likes of Lyric should remain.

Looking at 2FM and RTE2 though, they don't (apart from sport) currently have any obvious public interest, and same goes for being commercially viable. 2FM has local competitors as well as Today FM. Spin it out as a private entity maybe and see if it will remain (it won't).

It's been making a huge loss for years. The only reason the loss isn't larger in the accounts is that they've increased the proportion of license fee money it gets.

Is it a market where it is easy make a profit?

What are the financials at Today Fm like?

If today fm are making year on profits with the same listenship, then yes it could be time to cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

RTÉ should put their content on YouTube and strike a deal with them for advertising revenue. YouTube can GeoBlock it.

I gave up on watching Eastenders because of the RTE Player. If there is a big Sporting event on and I was away from the home, I'd watch on an illegal stream. I wouldn't even chance RTE Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

zeebre12 wrote: »
    How often do the orchestras actually work? What do they do? Are many full time?

Do they ever travel outside of the Pale?

What use are they to taxpayers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

dulpit wrote: »
    In my mind public broadcasting should be able to broadcast items in the public interest, or things that would not be commercially viable on their own. That's why the likes of Lyric should remain.

It's very evident that RTE is aggressively targeting classical music under this restructuring. But, as you say, that's one area that arguably should be maintained under the public service model.

How much it cost to run a good classical station? Not much. You just need a few people who love classical music and are knowledgeable and passionate about it. The less talk and interruptions the better.

thats the best laugh I have had in years....
    RTE's regular sports coverage now consists of Women's football and Ireland's Strongest Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

RTÉs attitude reminds me of that of some farmers: "I've done it this way a long time and intend on continuing to do it this way, no matter how little demand there is for what I produce and how little money it makes. It's up to the rest of society to adapt and continue funding me "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,175 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What is PBH on about here...did he get the heave?

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/1192358380796596224

Advertisement