Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ to cease DAB broadcasting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well it shouldn't be up to RTE to run DAB but as they do it's weird that they'll look to save a small amount here while leaving 2FM untouched (bar a few salaries cut) and keeping all the orchestras. Though I suppose the answer here is that DAB has no "friends" the orchestras do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm not surprised DAB is going, seeing as it was barely there in the first place. When did anything of note happen with the network? There has continued to be large swathes of the country which didn't even get a whiff of a signal. Internet radio will probably supersede it, though I know that's not always ideal.

Some of these cuts don't make much sense. They look good for optics. Were RTE Gold, 2XM et al really costing that much to run? They're low hanging fruit that'll fill paragraph spaces in reports. Why 2FM is seemingly impervious to all these cuts is beyond me. The station is losing money and doesn't have a hope in hell of ever recapturing the glory days of the 80s and 90s. The only thing that makes it different to the Spins and iRadios of this world are the generous salaries for its presenters.

The orchestras shouldn't be under RTE's umbrella in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Oh, the devil's in the detail of the press release I imagine.
    RTÉ Limerick Studios to close which will be a bitter blow for the Mid-West region and current Lyric fm radio base.
    I gather that RTÉ Cork TV/Radio studios are safe albeit for now as no reference to these facilities closing.
    Interesting that TV Sport is moving over to RTÉ One TV - Sport on RTÉ television has tended to be prioritised on RTÉ 2 since Network 2 was relaunched back in 1988. I wonder if RTÉ 2 is being prepared for sale/closure in years to come due to changes in viewing habits?
    RTÉ Gold overnight programme strand on RTÉ Radio 1 will soon be a thing of the past?
    Larry Gogan's Golden Hour currently at lunchtime on RTÉ Gold - Will it return to 2FM or go to Radio 1 or be axed altogether?
    Will Leahy, Rick O'Shea & others all gone following closure of RTÉ Gold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Zird

These cuts are actually very sensible, Dab is a waste of time now as it's 15 years too late. RTE gold is a waste of money as it's only available terrestrially in 3 cites which already have independent stations for the 35s+ market. Lyric moving to Dublin is also sensible as stand alone radio studios are actually very rare these days, communicorp in recent years have moved all their Dublin based stations into Marconi house.

It wouldn't surprise me if RTE retains something a lot smaller in Limerick. Or it opts to share the space with one of the universities or something like that.

I agree with you about RTE2 being prepared for sale/closure in the future. I don't know how that station can survive long term TBH. We all know that the kids don't watch broadcast TV in the way we did. RTE2's viewing figures could yet fall off a cliff. In an ideal world, a better RTE1 with quality programming and less filler crap would be what I'd like to see but that isn't going to happen. But I could easily see RTE reverting back to one station.

The closure of RTE Gold will probably signal the end of Larry Gogan's radio career. That station served as a bit of a dumping ground for presenters who no longer belonged on 2FM but couldn't go to Radio 1 either. I suppose the others will suffer different fates, depending on what their terms and conditions are.

• Advertisement

Zird wrote: »
    These cuts are actually very sensible, Dab is a waste of time now as it's 15 years too late. RTE gold is a waste of money as it's only available terrestrially in 3 cites which already have independent stations for the 35s+ market. Lyric moving to Dublin is also sensible as stand alone radio studios are actually very rare these days, communicorp in recent years have moved all their Dublin based stations into Marconi house.

According to The Irish Times article, RTÉ Lyric fm will instead operate from both Cork & Dublin and will be "much reduced" in size. Not sure if RTÉ can justify RTÉ 2fm in it's present form as it may have slowed down the massive audience losses after many years but it is unlikely to have a bright future for it's target demographic given changing trends.

Source:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/rt%C3%A9-planning-200-job-cuts-and-15-per-cent-pay-reduction-for-top-presenters-1.4074889

Radio section on the Saorview digital terrestrial tv platform will appear very empty after all those RTÉ Digital only stations cease broadcasting - ending up with only the following Radio Stations:

RTÉ Radio 1,
    RTÉ 2fm,
    RTÉ RnaG,
    RTÉ lyric fm
    Radio Maria International

Today fm, Newstalk 106-108 and Classic Hits and others should be facilitated to the Radio section of the Saorview platform just like Virgin Media TV channels portfolio and TG4 are on TV section of Saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

DAB never made it to here so no loss to me. I do however listen to RTE Gold on Saorview so I will miss that.

Agreed on other channels like Classic Hits being on Saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1192212832122810368

Apparently Dee Forbes was supposed to reveal all this this week. But due to Gay Byrne's passing, they delayed it until next week-but it got leaked.
    (The Link above has a thread)

10 percent pay cut to the top brass, 15 percent to top on air presenters. 200 Jobs cut, RTE Guide to be sold off. And the most surprising to me-Aertel to be shut down.
    I didn't even realise that was still going. I thought when RTE went digital only, that was killed off in 2012. That must have been a massive money loser for it.

Apparently they're going to put more money into online content and introduce username and password login to the RTE player. (Considering how crap the RTE website is-I'd see this as a loss making decision).

Sports events will be moved to RTE 1, including GAA. (Are RTE trying to kill off RTE2? Such a shame... but then I watch that channel once a month, barely. Sports was all it had.).

Of course, the statement (by RTE) has a number of digs at politicians and the government.

Moya Doherty, who was on the Gay Byrne tribute Tuesday Night has criticised both RTE and the Government. And Communicorp not taking to DAB is probably why RTE found little success with it.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1192225958494953473

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

RTE Gold is the best music station in Ireland...apart from the perm staff there, it costs little to run. I'll miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I hope RTE Radio 1 continue to provide an overnight Gold music service

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭kazoo106

DAB never made it here because RTE's attempt (since January 2006) has been utter rubbish, with absolutely no promotion of the platform whatsoever.

The sites enabled for DAB (Three Rock, Kippure, Woodcock Hill, Clermont Carn and Cork) have argueably provided good coverage for the last 10+years in the major urban centres, but ask anyone on the street what is DAB and they usually come back with a blank epression thinking it has something to do with the Internet !!

RTE should have rolled this out on every site and promoted the s**t out of it

Expect a backlash similar to 252 if listening to Will Leahy's texts this morning is anything to go by

It's also good to see a choice starting to appear on DAB with the advent of the Free-DAB service, this will be a very interesting one to watch as they expand before the end of the year to other cities and towns across the country - I wish them luck, pity RTE could not see the potential here.

DAB was always going to be a hard sell. When TV went digital, there was an obvious upgrade. What does DAB do that FM doesn't? We never got to see this much vaunted extra choice. Some of the stations broadcast in a frequency that sounded utterly shyte to my ears anyway. Unless someone lives in an area with no broadband, they can access their music elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is there any indication as to when the shutdown will happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

RTE Gold is the best music station in Ireland...apart from the perm staff there, it costs little to run. I'll miss it.

Maybe it is-but it has an extremely limited audience. People driving in their cars can't access it, and unless you live in Dublin, Cork, or Limerick-you won't get it either.

Apparently Lyric Fm is still up in the air-it could close down, or it could remain open. Nobody has a definitive answer to that.

The presenters, I imagine, will be fine-it's the people behind the scenes who are in trouble.

kazoo106 wrote: »
    DAB never made it here because RTE's attempt (since January 2006) has been utter rubbish, with absolutely no promotion of the platform whatsoever.

The sites enabled for DAB (Three Rock, Kippure, Woodcock Hill, Clermont Carn and Cork) have argueably provided good coverage for the last 10+years in the major urban centres, but ask anyone on the street what is DAB and they usually come back with a blank epression thinking it has something to do with the Internet !!

Expect a backlash similar to 252 if listening to Will Leahy's texts this morning is anything to go by

It's also good to see a choice starting to appear on DAB with the advent of the Free-DAB service, this will be a very interesting one to watch as they expand before the end of the year to other cities and towns across the country - I wish them luck, pity RTE could not see the potential here.

In reality the only people listening to RTE Gold are anoraks and friends/family of the DJs. You're available John & Mary have never even heard of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In reality the only people listening to RTE Gold are anoraks and friends/family of the DJs. You're available John & Mary have never even heard of it.

Or anyone able to operate the radio function on their Virgin Media digital connection.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

a lot of this sounds like tinkering around the edges - how has 2FM avoided the chop (or selloff)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Very sad to hear DAB is going; I got a DAB radio when I upgraded my car last year and I've been listening to it almost exclusively ever since.

The sound quality is very noticeably better than FM, and I really enjoyed the additional stations (Gold, Extra, +1). I'd love to know exactly how much they will save by shutting it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It's ironic that only last Sunday I was having a conversation with some friends about RTE Gold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

RTE Gold is the only radio station I listen to nowadays. Have it on in the office the whole time. Will be sad to see it go.

DAB channels are on saorview so might RTE actually spot an opportunity to seek applications to fill the vacant DTT bandwidth with DO'B FM, the various big Dublin stations, Red FM etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The Government are to blame for a lot of this debacle. For years, ministers sat on their hands, rubber-stamping endless 'tests' and depriving RTE of advertising revenue on the DAB-only stations.

If RTE want to throw in the towel, then FreeDAB should be allowed step in and given licences immediately for a nominal fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

It's the independent sector's fault that DAB hasn't so far been a success here, as the BAI have had their finger up their ar$e about it, as the IBI stations have indicated their distaste for any competition that other services would bring.

The only way DAB would work (and I think it would, and should work) is if it provides extra services from more niche broadcasters not owned or controlled by the big boys.

It's a retrograde step by RTE to close it, although maybe 2rn might now offer the muxes for rental to other companies.

If they do though, no doubt the cost would be too high for independent ops, and it'd be Communicorp and Newsgroup who'd run them.

Which would be a pity.

There are other, far more unworthy, areas of expenditure that RTE could dispose of, like Lyric, 2FM, and orchestras. Oh, and sell Montrose and move to somewhere smaller and cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

loyatemu wrote: »
    a lot of this sounds like tinkering around the edges - how has 2FM avoided the chop (or selloff)?

Agreed. It screams of tokenism. The RTE Guide, Aertel, DAB... FFS, surely these are all small fish compared to the likes of 2FM which has become utterly pointless. I can't be the only one that thought Aertel was gone years ago and the last time I saw the RTE guide was probably Christmas time of more than a decade ago. I can't see these cuts saving them a whole pile.

Sell off the utterly pointless 2FM and put Gold on the FM band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Licensing FreeDAB or other small-scale mux ops is a different thing. Of course that should happen, but the IBI stations have told the BAI they don't want the competition that would bring, so the BAI won't do it.

It's the DAB muxes that RTE have been using (probably owned by 2rn) that interest me.

I bet 2rn will offer the network to the likes of Communicorp.

If RTE want to throw in the towel, then FreeDAB should be allowed step in and given licences immediately for a nominal fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

DAB never took off, no extra services to incentivise moving from FM or from online radio or streaming services on your mobile. The lack of recievers was also a barrier, why buy a new "radio" for a limited number of niche stations.
    2RN should be the sole manager of DAB and DTT, and have additional services.

if Saorview doesnt develop to have additional stations, it will just be Netflix/Apple/BritBox/Disney/YouTube/Amazon.

Firstly, in relation to Aertel, I was aware that it was still available. My parents, who would not be very IT literate, use it to check flight information. Up to a few years ago (and more recently than 2012!) , I did as well as it was very handy!

Secondly, in relation to the main thread topic, after all the RTE digital stations are gone, Virgin Media's digital selection on the tv will consist of the terrestrial RTE stations, all the commercial Dublin stations, Today FM, Newstalk, the BBC digital selection, a couple of religious-oriented stations and Galway Bay FM. Virgin Media's selection had already been getting smaller but this decision is going to make it even more limited.

kazoo106 wrote: »

I would have to share many of your observations except there was one huge problem that RTÉ seemed to have (i.e.) From what I understand they were NOT allowed to generate any commercial advertising whatsoever for any of their Digital-Only stations which must have affected it's ability to further develop and promote their DAB service which was on an endless trial in certain areas for many years. The same has been the case with tv channels like RTÉ News Now and RTÉjr for younger audiences. More cuts will follow I suspect as there are services that are surplus to their core essential requirements in my view.

What is the whole point of the RTÉ News Now channel as it's on a repeat loop most of the time and anything special will be simulcast with RTÉ One anyway. Apart from Late News Extra on Friday nights on RTÉ One tv, you won't catch any RTÉ News bulletins on any RTÉ television after the 9 O'Clock news finishes which is fine if there is current affairs programming scheduled for later that evening but this is not always the case.

• Advertisement

Every gobshote politician will be out criticizing these cuts (A la Lw 252 ) even though, they have sat on their hands & done nothing but restrain RTE the past decade. E G RTE wanted to show adult programs on RTE 2 during the morning/early afternoon to bring in a few € in advertising but were refused due to lobbying by TV3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭dav09

RTE Gold and 2XM were decent stations. Listened to 2XM mostly in my car it's a shame to see it go. I can't imagine either station costing a fortune to run, I always wondered why ads aren't operated on the DAB network and if that would help towards sustainability.

DAB is a strange one, for many countries in Europe, FM is being turned off, making us one of the few countries to backtrack on DAB roll-out. The licencing situation around it has been appalling and it's crazy to see that we now have a national pirate DAB multiplex (FreeDAB) due to this. Even if it's been slow, it does seem to be the general direction things are moving in: https://www.techuk.org/insights/news/item/14327-the-eu-parliament-backs-the-mandating-of-digital-radio-in-cars

I hope RTE take good consideration to reverse this as it may cost in the long run, if FM had to go down the line (under EU rules/ bandwidth reasons/ etc). But it's doubtful and an awful shame.

Maybe it is-but it has an extremely limited audience. People driving in their cars can't access it, and unless you live in Dublin, Cork, or Limerick-you won't get it either.

Apparently Lyric Fm is still up in the air-it could close down, or it could remain open. Nobody has a definitive answer to that.

The presenters, I imagine, will be fine-it's the people behind the scenes who are in trouble.

Yes I suspect audience figures for all of RTÉ Digital-Only/DAB are relatively low. Lyric fm will only continue (albeit for now) as a much reduced service and shared between RTÉ Studios in Dublin & Cork. One would wonder if it's hours will be cut as part of these cost cutting changes.

I am not so sure all presenters at RTÉ will be fine going forward - some contracts may be allowed to expire and not necessarily renewed if you read in-between the lines.

RTÉ Radio 2fm should be closed and the frequency re-allocated to "RTÉ Gold" on FM 24/7 with more live presenter shows during daytime hours. Older audiences listen to traditional methods - I cannot see how today's 2fm as a station can keep stabilising or growing it's younger audiences into the future. The station is aimed at younger demographic which will tend to listen to music via other methods like Spotify etc;
    RTÉ News Now should be closed immediately
    RTÉ 2 should be closed given that all major sport is now transferring across to RTÉ One tv and all kids programming is already on a dedicated kids channel RTÉjr which should be able to fund itself through commercial advertising.

So then when is freedab (sounds like a particularly niche form of modern dance) coming to Waterford

dav09 wrote: »
    RTE Gold and 2XM were decent stations. Listened to 2XM mostly in my car it's a shame to see it go. I can't imagine either station costing a fortune to run, I always wondered why ads aren't operated on the DAB network and if that would help towards sustainability.

DAB is a strange one, for many countries in Europe, FM is being turned off, making us one of the few countries to backtrack on DAB roll-out. The licencing situation around it has been appalling and it's crazy to see that we now have a national pirate DAB multiplex (FreeDAB) due to this. Even if it's been slow, it does seem to be the general direction things are moving in: tps://g/insights/news/item/14327-the-eu-parliament-backs-t

I hope RTE take good consideration to reverse this as it may cost in the long run, if FM had to go down the line (under EU rules/ bandwidth reasons/ etc). But it's doubtful and an awful shame.

It never ceases to amaze me the reaction that every story, regardless of what is, about RTE gets on boards. we are not the only country to abandon DAB, Finland, Singapore, Hong Kong & Canada have done the same. Dab is a busted flush in this country, it has been clear since 2008 that it was never going to be rolled out any further when the independent stations abandoned it. It was always unfair that RTE were spending licence payers money on something that only licence payers based in 3 cities could use, add in the fact that your average Joe posts here wondering why they can't get BBC radio 2 on dab on South kerry, this is a long overdue sensible thing for RTE to do but of course people still complain.

dav09 wrote: »

DAB is a strange one, for many countries in Europe, FM is being turned off, making us one of the few countries to backtrack on DAB roll-out. The licencing situation around it has been appalling and it's crazy to see that we now have a national pirate DAB multiplex (FreeDAB) due to this. Even if it's been slow, it does seem to be the general direction things are moving in: https://www.techuk.org/insights/news/item/14327-the-eu-parliament-backs-the-mandating-of-digital-radio-in-cars

I don't think RTÉ had any final say in advertising on those stations that have no commercial breaks. I understand that RTÉ was not permitted to generate revenue from advertising due to the private sector objecting that it would be detrimental to other TV/Radio channels from the commercial independent sector.

Same applies to RTÉ News Now and RTÉjr kids channels as I think no advertising was allowed on these channels since they first launched as otherwise they would not have been permitted.

RTÉ were also limited in the number of minutes allowed for advertising on those stations that currently carry advertising even if the business was there although; the advertising climate is said to be pretty tough for all involved on traditional TV/Radio channels for quite a while for a whole host of reasons.

• Advertisement

DAB needs or needed more potential devices, sure most modern cars have DAB and FM.
    It would be great if DAB was on mobile phones, but mobile companies sell bandwitdh so no incentive for them to promote DAB on handsets. Why if I have a wifi do i need DAB can i not just listen to internet radio or streaming services. While I have DAB in the car and DAB stations available on Saorview TV recievers are the ways I would have listened to the DAB services.

webwayz wrote: »
    DAB needs or needed more potential devices, sure most modern cars have DAB and FM.
    It would be great if DAB was on mobile phones, but mobile companies sell bandwitdh so no incentive for them to promote DAB on handsets. Why if I have a wifi do i need DAB can i not just listen to internet radio or streaming services. While I have DAB in the car and DAB stations available on Saorview TV recievers are the ways I would have listened to the DAB services.

I just listen very occasionally to digital stations on the Virgin Media platform as I do not have DAB Radio - the 900s. There's even less reason for me to select those channels now, unless I want to listen to BBC6, which I keep forgetting about, or they add more stations on the selection (highly unlikely).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

10 percent pay cut to the top brass, 15 percent to top on air presenters. 200 Jobs cut, RTE Guide to be sold off. And the most surprising to me-Aertel to be shut down.
    I didn't even realise that was still going. I thought when RTE went digital only, that was killed off in 2012. That must have been a massive money loser for it.

Apparently they're going to put more money into online content and introduce username and password login to the RTE player. (Considering how crap the RTE website is-I'd see this as a loss making decision).

I doubt Aertel is a massive money loser for them, I'd imagine it costs extremely little.

As for the username and password, I'd imagine this will be linked to your TV licence, as the BBC iPlayer now is, so that if you don't pay your tv licence, you won't be able to access the RTE player.
    At present, anyone can, so introducing a check will probably save them money on bandwidth. Might also improve the service for big events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I doubt Aertel is a massive money loser for them, I'd imagine it costs extremely little.

As for the username and password, I'd imagine this will be linked to your TV licence, as the BBC iPlayer now is, so that if you don't pay your tv licence, you won't be able to access the RTE player.
    At present, anyone can, so introducing a check will probably save them money on bandwidth. Might also improve the service for big events.

the iPlayer is not linked to your license - they ask if you have one, but there's no verification.

loyatemu wrote: »
    the iPlayer is not linked to your license - they ask if you have one, but there's no verification.

I think it will ask the user to confirm their TV Licence Number if it detects if that the person may not be UK based.
    (A VPN username/password will no longer allow access to BBC iPlayer if the person is not a UK TV Licence holder based outside the UK)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

I listen to 2XM as well and will be sorry to see it go. DAB though was a typically half-baked experiment here. Can't say I've any reason to miss that.

I listen to it in my car, which I bought up North and the dealer helpfully set it up for me. Almost complete coverage and all channels. No reason to switch back to FM ... until I crossed the border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

My van has DAB radio but it's useless driving around Dublin as the signal comes & goes. I used to listen to it on a little Sony DAB radio in my home and the signal wasn't too bad.

I loved the idea of DAB but RTE only half heartedly got behind it in my opinion. It always felt like an experiment rather than 100 percent commitment imo

DAB was half baked but they paid a high price for it.
    Similarly I listen to it in the car and great on the open roads outside dublin but wavers inside the M50
    Aertel can not be that much money, it does the 888 subtitles very well, and stuff like flight information, and match day scores for those without an internet device handy. How much does it cost to run Aertel? surely the text content from the RTE Website can be tailored for it without much extra cost and hassle. I am sure not that much and not that much bandwidth used up either.
    I am sure with BritBox just being launched there are those in RTE looking for a project like an AerBox... sin sceal eile..
    Cut the top celebs salaries, sell donnybrook (I am sure the government would look at it for a Direct Provision Centre or Halting site.....;) ) and move to a cheaper location say off the M50

I think it will ask the user to confirm their TV Licence Number if it detects if that the person may not be UK based.
    (A VPN username/password will no longer allow access to BBC iPlayer if the person is not a UK TV Licence holder based outside the UK)

If you are outside the UK it will not work at all unless a VPN is used and in that case it acts the exact same as if you were in the UK. No UK television licence is required.

lertsnim wrote: »
    If you are outside the UK it will not work at all unless a VPN is used and in that case it acts the exact same as if you were in the UK. No UK television licence is required.

Oh I understand the function of a VPN and how it is used. I know someone who would often go to the BBC iPlayer by inputting a VPN username & password suggesting they were UK based even though they were actually located outside of the UK. Then around the same time that BBC THREE linear tv channel switched to Online access only, things also changed regarding access to the BBC iPlayer as a VPN for UK was no longer sufficient to access BBC iPlayer as it would request TV Licence details which was not always the case. Has all this changed again?

webwayz wrote: »
    DAB was half baked but they paid a high price for it.
    Similarly I listen to it in the car and great on the open roads outside dublin but wavers inside the M50
    Aertel can not be that much money, it does the 888 subtitles very well, and stuff like flight information, and match day scores for those without an internet device handy. How much does it cost to run Aertel? surely the text content from the RTE Website can be tailored for it without much extra cost and hassle. I am sure not that much and not that much bandwidth used up either.
    I am sure with BritBox just being launched there are those in RTE looking for a project like an AerBox... sin sceal eile..
    Cut the top celebs salaries, sell donnybrook (I am sure the government would look at it for a Direct Provision Centre or Halting site.....;) ) and move to a cheaper location say off the M50

RTÉ needs to address the things it can control first before making demands from the government (i.e.) taxpayers. It needs to return to core values and how they relate to a changing media landscape and question, modify and if necessary remove anything no longer fit for the RTÉ of today. Top earners still overpaid, some need to retire/change role, Donnybrook should all be sold like you said, they should operate leaner and meaner from a cheaper site.

Oh I understand the function of a VPN and how it is used. I know someone who would often go to the BBC iPlayer by inputting a VPN username & password suggesting they were UK based even though they were actually located outside of the UK. Then around the same time that BBC THREE linear tv channel switched to Online access only, things also changed regarding access to the BBC iPlayer as a VPN for UK was no longer sufficient to access BBC iPlayer as it would request TV Licence details which was not always the case. Has all this changed again?

I use the iPlayer regularly and never have I had to input licence details. I'm only ever asked if I have a licence or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

lertsnim wrote:
    I use the iPlayer regularly and never have I had to input licence details. I'm only ever asked if I have a licence or not.

I don't use it often but agree they only ask if you have a licence

lertsnim wrote: »
    I certainly hope they don't plan to start asking for the details :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

DAB was always going to be a hard sell. When TV went digital, there was an obvious upgrade. What does DAB do that FM doesn't? We never got to see this much vaunted extra choice. Some of the stations broadcast in a frequency that sounded utterly shyte to my ears anyway. Unless someone lives in an area with no broadband, they can access their music elsewhere.

extra choice, the incentive and need to liberalize the market and allow stations to operate to a business model that suits them, rather then the high cost one forced upon them from the BAI and current broadcasting laws.
    if the rte muxes are using standard dab then that is crap as it is mp2 and it would need to be at a hugely high bitrate to be listenable.
    dab+ on the other hand gives reasonable quality at low bitrates as long as all the processing is tweaked accordingly.

can you provide a source for that claim? the first part of it anyway, the second i'm not so bothered about.
    even if it is accurate, listeners are listeners and listeners listening are listeners listening.
    It's the independent sector's fault that DAB hasn't so far been a success here, as the BAI have had their finger up their ar$e about it, as the IBI stations have indicated their distaste for any competition that other services would bring.

The only way DAB would work (and I think it would, and should work) is if it provides extra services from more niche broadcasters not owned or controlled by the big boys.

It's a retrograde step by RTE to close it, although maybe 2rn might now offer the muxes for rental to other companies.

If they do though, no doubt the cost would be too high for independent ops, and it'd be Communicorp and Newsgroup who'd run them.

Which would be a pity.

There are other, far more unworthy, areas of expenditure that RTE could dispose of, like Lyric, 2FM, and orchestras. Oh, and sell Montrose and move to somewhere smaller and cheaper.

i would agree with 90% of your post but lyric does meet a public service remit, and rte moving to somewhere smaller and cheaper wouldn't actually be cheaper or cost effective in the end once they get everything set up i would imagine.
    Licensing FreeDAB or other small-scale mux ops is a different thing. Of course that should happen, but the IBI stations have told the BAI they don't want the competition that would bring, so the BAI won't do it.

It's the DAB muxes that RTE have been using (probably owned by 2rn) that interest me.

I bet 2rn will offer the network to the likes of Communicorp.

which is why we need to bring in new people into the BAI who actually would be willing to tell the IBI stations where to go.
    the IBI members are entitled to not want to broadcast on dab if they want, but they are not, and should not, be able or entitled to stop others from doing so.
    It never ceases to amaze me the reaction that every story, regardless of what is, about RTE gets on boards. we are not the only country to abandon DAB, Finland, Singapore, Hong Kong & Canada have done the same. Dab is a busted flush in this country, it has been clear since 2008 that it was never going to be rolled out any further when the independent stations abandoned it. It was always unfair that RTE were spending licence payers money on something that only licence payers based in 3 cities could use, add in the fact that your average Joe posts here wondering why they can't get BBC radio 2 on dab on South kerry, this is a long overdue sensible thing for RTE to do but of course people still complain.

4 countries abandoning dab means nothing really, more countries are modernising then those who aren't.
    those who want modernisation in this country will be going nowhere.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement