Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concrete stairs

• 07-11-2019 2:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

At what stage can a concrete stairs be put into a house? Can it be done after the upstairs concrete slabs are put down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭caddy16

teednab-el wrote: »
    At what stage can a concrete stairs be put into a house? Can it be done after the upstairs concrete slabs are put down?

Ours was done at the same time as the slabs, same company supplied both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

caddy16 wrote: »
    Ours was done at the same time as the slabs, same company supplied both.

Did you have to put anything in at foundation level to support the concrete stairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭caddy16

Did you have to put anything in at foundation level to support the concrete stairs?
    Was put directly on to subfloor, I have a small landing 4 steps up that we had to put in a small jack wall for but the spec for that was given by the company who did the stairs and confirmed by my engineer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Easier to put them in when putting in hollowcore. Difficult enough putting them in after especially if you have the blocks up at the front and your front door formed.... acess could be restricted then.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Easier to put them in when putting in hollowcore. Difficult enough putting them in after especially if you have the blocks up at the front and your front door formed.... acess could be restricted then.

Are there alowances that would have to had been made at foundation stage for the stairs to rest on the subfloor?

• Advertisement

caddy16 wrote: »
    Was put directly on to subfloor, I have a small landing 4 steps up that we had to put in a small jack wall for but the spec for that was given by the company who did the stairs and confirmed by my engineer.

Stairs was in my plans but the type of stairs wasn't indicated on the specs. I hadn't decided what to go with but i wasn't told by the builders that i had to have a final decision on the stairs at foundation level if going for concrete stairs. I thought it wasn't any problem doing it afterwards. Now they are saying its not an option as allowances would have to be made at foundation stage for the stairs to rest on the subfloor?

Maybe they are correct but just asking here to be 100% sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Stairs was in my plans but the type of stairs wasn't indicated on the specs. I hadn't decided what to go with but i wasn't told by the builders that i had to have a final decision on the stairs at foundation level if going for concrete stairs. I thought it wasn't any problem doing it afterwards. Now they are saying its not an option as allowances would have to be made at foundation stage for the stairs to rest on the subfloor?

Maybe they are correct but just asking here to be 100% sure.

It's probably a question your engineer would be better qualified to answer. I'd be guessing your floor would have to be strong with the weight of the stairs resting on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Is the insulation already installed at ground floor level? Depending on the approach your builder decided to take the insulation and floor screed might already be installed leaving a soft layer that won't support the concrete stairs.

I've seen two builders of late who like to install the insulation and finished floor straight after the subfloor. Many others will leave the subfloor as a working platform until much later in the process.

(Whether the subfloor is sufficiently strong on its own to hold a concrete stairs is also a question! It should possibly be supported by a foundation underneath and/or appropriately reinforced.)

Advertisement