Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boil Water Notice and coffee machines

• 07-11-2019 8:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Anybody know what is the position regarding Barista Coffee Machines use during the Boil Water notices I understand that these machines do not boil the water

I asked Irish Water and their Answer Was as below

"Thanks for your message.

All water intended for human consumption should be boiled at a rolling boil for at least one minute and cooled before it is used to make hot drinks.

Thanks,
    Agata"

I see Barista Coffee being served all over the place is anyone supposed to police this

xl500

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is the water not boiled in the machine first and stored high temp just under boiling for use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

The boil water notice is in place because the water is contaminated with bacteria that could cause disease. Boiling the water before consuming effectively reduces the bacterial load that is in the water.
    If you think that the water in coffee machines sits there before you make a coffee, there is a chance the bacterial load could increase, couple that with the fact that the machine itself does not heat the water to boiling point then you could be ingesting potentially contaminated coffee.
    Personally I would boil the water as per Irish water instructions before adding it the coffee machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

Thanks for replies

I dont think Barista machines Boil the water they actually only heat to 90c

I was also referring to commercial coffee shops they mostly seem to be serving away although there are some exceptions who are not serving

This to me seems another very Irish situation with some serving and some not does anyone actually enforce the boil water notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

xl500 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies

I was also referring to commercial coffee shops they mostly seem to be serving away although there are some exceptions who are not serving

This to me seems another very Irish situation with some serving and some not does anyone actually enforce the boil water notice

How is you know what filter systems they have built into the supply.

For example we have a pretty extensit filter systems fitted to all our mains taps for drinking in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

xl500 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies

FSAI advice on 'Boil Water Notices and Food Businesses' is that they need to ensure that the water in the coffee machine reaches at least 75C and if it doesn't, then the coffee machine should not be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

listermint wrote: »
    How is you know what filter systems they have built into the supply.

For example we have a pretty extensit filter systems fitted to all our mains taps for drinking in work.

Exactly the point I dont know so who polices it

Advertisement