Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O- blood type

Options
  • 07-11-2019 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi ,

I'm 7 weeks and just early scan and heard the heartbeat at the Dr yesterday. So amazing!

I also found out my blood group is O negative which could be a concern if my husband's blood type is Rhesus positive. Dr said that the biggest risk would be for future pregnancies if this baby's blood type was Rh pos too.

Has anyone else experienced this? How did it impact your pregnancy or future pregnancies?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

Vaquita wrote: »
    Hi ,

I'm 7 weeks and just early scan and heard the heartbeat at the Dr yesterday. So amazing!

I also found out my blood group is O negative which could be a concern if my husband's blood type is Rhesus positive. Dr said that the biggest risk would be for future pregnancies if this baby's blood type was Rh pos too.

Has anyone else experienced this? How did it impact your pregnancy or future pregnancies?

Thanks!

I’m rhesus negative on first pregnancy too and I just had to get an injection at 28 weeks. Other than being extra cautious if you have a fall or a bump it hasn’t affected my pregnancy at all. You get another injection after you give birth that will help for future pregnancies

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

The anti-d injection is completely standard now and they will book you in for it between week 28 and 30. Earlier in the pregnancy, you should go to the hospital if you have a bad fall or a car accident that could lead to your blood mixing with the baby's. Anti-d should be administered within 72 hours in such a case. But they are very resilient in there and are surrounded by amniotic fluid, so you don't need to worry about every little tap (the midwives poke fairly hard sometimes when they are checking up!). Congratulations, try not to worry and enjoy this lovely time xx

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I got two shots of the Anti-D due to two occasions where I tripped and ended up on my knees on the pavement in the third trimester - both shots were just precautionary.

If you get bumped or fall, then they can do a Klein-Harr (sp?) blood test on you which will indicate if foetal blood cells are in your blood. If so you might need additional Anti-D shots then or additional after the birth.

Basically any bump or jolt you have - like a fall or a toddler headbutt or even something like an emergency stop in the car, call the midwife unit tell them you are rhesus neg, and describe what happened and they'll advise you correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Vaquita

Thank you so much for the reassurance! My Dr did make it sound rather serious so I was worrying. Need to get husbands blood type checked first .

Thank you thought! You have really put my mind at ease!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I’m O negative. I’ve not much to add to what the other posters have said except they’ll test babies blood at birth. Two of my daughters are O- also so I didn’t need the anti D injection after birth but my last girl was O+ so I did! Funny how it worked out like that. Don’t panic at all, you’ll be absolutely fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I'm Rh+ and my wife Rh-, all our four children are Rh+. She did have to get anti D during pregnancy + after the births. All four pregnancies and babies were healthy. It's not something you need to be over concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cole30

Sorry to just jump aboard this thread. I'm also 0- and am due to have my anti d on 6th of December. The app is for 8am and I am attending the rotunda. Just curious of how long I should be in there for if anyone could advise me the appointment entails. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement