Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I buy a diesel or petrol for 455km/week commute?

• 07-11-2019 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Guys I will do approximately 455km commute per week, I am planning on buying a car, should I go diesel or petrol? at the moment I have a ford fiesta 1.2 - 2008, as you can imagine it will not be a comfortable journey.

I do not want an electric car because no charger at work and I do not like them at all.

Budget - maximum of 10K
    Economical and Reliable (Cheap to maintain)
    I am married with no kids (in the near future)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

This will be a long term commute ? You’ll lose quite a bit on depreciation with that mileage, when you throw in your other driving too. I’d be spending 2-3k most likely !

If it’s five days a week , I’d be going electric if that could work for you ? That said , I think a 30kwh leaf would be 15k or thereabouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Idbatterim wrote: »
    This will be a long term commute ? You’ll lose a ton on depreciation with that mileage. I’d be spending 2-3k most likely !

Long term 1-2 years I'll be looking at changing job eventually. I will be travelling from drogheda to dun laoghaire.

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Long term 1-2 years I'll be looking at changing job eventually. I will be travelling from drogheda to dun laoghaire.

How long do you spend in the car each way and on what kind of roads ? I think with electric you get a discount at tolls, that would be a factor assuming you are using m50. Do you Have flexibility with work or have to commute at peak times ? Would taking dart from your nearest station be an option ?

How long do you spend in the car each way and on what kind of roads ?

64km each way. M1 then through Dublin port, then dun laoghaire.

Yes, I was thinking 2-3k budget at the start because of that mileage

64km each way. M1 then through Dublin port, then dun laoghaire.

Yes, I was thinking 2-3k budget at the start because of that mileage

Certain bangernomic cars have been sold for more than they were bought for a year or two later, that is true cheap motoring !!!

Dublin port as in Dublin port tunnel ? You have to cross east link that way too ? Can you charge car in work ?

• Advertisement

How long do you spend in the car each way and on what kind of roads ? I think with electric you get a discount at tolls, that would be a factor assuming you are using m50. Do you Have flexibility with work or have to commute at peak times ? Would taking dart from your nearest station be an option ?

My shift is 8am to 8pm - sometimes I will be working 2 days a week and sometimes 5 times a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Diesel. End of.
    Nice megane for €3000 will cost €38/week in fuel, and cheap road tax.

Keep €1000 for running costs, and spend the remaining €6k on a nice classic car for the w/e

Certain bangernomic cars have been sold for more than they were bought for a year or two later, that is true cheap motoring !!!

Dublin port as in Dublin port tunnel ? You have to cross east link that way too ? Can you charge car in work ?

Yep, Dublin port tunnel.

Bangermonics hahahaha! my friend at work commute from ashbourne to dunlaoghaire with a 500euro nissan almera she bought from Facebook marketplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Id suggest hybrid like prius but 2nd hands are still very expensive.
    GO DIESEL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Banzai600

for what its worth......

Dublin traffic ( & inbound routes) are nuts and its getting worse, not a hope ANY elec car will do the job imo, and it wouldnt be the choice id make for transport. Dublin has unpredictable delays etc, its severely congested you'll be on edge constantly waiting for batteries to die...literally.

Listen to 103.2 dublin city fm 0700-1000 morning & 1600-1900 evening - invaluable service provided and will give you a picture of whats going on in & around the city. Dedicated traffic station.

would you not do the rail option to Dublin and then transfer to the dart , but you've probably already thought of that or it doesnt suit (?).

i would be for a small car size wise - robust car with comfort , but not too big an engine. An auto may also be a good idea, although they are generally a little heavier on petrol, not sure about diesel. just means less gear changing when in traffic. I wouldnt be spending 10k myself.

just my 2 cents...

BTW if you go into google maps options, there is an option " start driving " , select this go to the settings of this and add to home screen. it remembers locations you input and gives fastest and realistic driving times - its very good and works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Banzai600 wrote: »
    for what its worth......

Dublin traffic ( & inbound routes) are nuts and its getting worse, not a hope ANY elec car will do the job imo, and it wouldnt be the choice id make for transport. Dublin has unpredictable delays etc, its severely congested you'll be on edge constantly waiting for batteries to die...literally

Just to clarify, traffic is an EVs best friend, we've a full EV Ioniq since 2017. It will do about 160 km on the motorway in winter at 125 km/h but will happily do 200 km commuting around Dublin during rush hour.

OP, if your budget is €10k with fuel for two years, that gives around €13.5k for an equivalent EV. I think that pretty much prices out any of the cars capable of making the 130km return journey with enough buffer. I'd buy a cheapo diesel, and keep it until a suitable EV becomes affordable or you change job.

Banzai600 wrote: »
    for what its worth......

Dublin traffic ( & inbound routes) are nuts and its getting worse, not a hope ANY elec car will do the job imo,

Are you really saying you cant drive from drogheda to dun laoghaire and back in an electric car?

-Edit I don't have an electric car btw

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Are you really saying you cant drive from drogheda to dun laoghaire and back in an electric car?

It's easily doable but not in a car that's available at the OPs price range. I'd recommend an Ioniq, but you'd be looking at 20-22k for one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

slipperyox wrote: »
    Diesel. End of.
    Nice megane for €3000 will cost €38/week in fuel, and cheap road tax.

Keep €1000 for running costs, and spend the remaining €6k on a nice classic car for the w/e

^ This.
    I did exactly this, got a very well kept 2011 megane gt line for €4k, comfortable with a bit of power, more than halved my fuel & tax cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can buy what you want your milage is pretty low if your only working 2 days some weeks and 5 others, that's only about 15,000km a year.
    It's a pain of a drive I wouldn't do it unless the money was well worth it after your travel expenses.
    Buy something comfortable you'll enjoy, preferably an auto if there's going to be a lot stop and start driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Banzai600

liamog wrote: »
    Just to clarify, traffic is an EVs best friend, we've a full EV Ioniq since 2017. It will do about 160 km on the motorway in winter at 125 km/h but will happily do 200 km commuting around Dublin during rush hour.

OP, if your budget is €10k with fuel for two years, that gives around €13.5k for an equivalent EV. I think that pretty much prices out any of the cars capable of making the 130km return journey with enough buffer. I'd buy a cheapo diesel, and keep it until a suitable EV becomes affordable or you change job.

in this case, like you say, and i said, the non EV car is what he needs / in budget, and id spend 3/4k max.

Neither do i and will never go elec. i drive a 1 ltr petrol myself, 70 mpg , but commute by scooter / motorbike or the car the v odd time.

im saying i wouldnt go electric, and i certainly would be using one to commute a long distance daily. Too many variables for me to be caught out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I have decided that a diesel engine max 3k

• Advertisement

I’d personally only go automatic. Could you charge an electric car in your place of work ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm confused OP, are you spending 10k or 3k?

If you are only spending 3k then I'd tend to keep the Fiesta going assuming it's not causing you any trouble. With only spending 3k on a diesel car you are really into unknown territory around repairs and reliability. If the car you have now is reliable then just keep it going especially if you plan to change jobs and do less commuting in 2 years time.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm confused OP, are you spending 10k or 3k?

If you are only spending 3k then I'd tend to keep the Fiesta going assuming it's not causing you any trouble. With only spending 3k on a diesel car you are really into unknown territory around repairs and reliability. If the car you have now is reliable then just keep it going especially if you plan to change jobs and do less commuting in 2 years time.

my 1.2 Fiesta have 246,000 km on it and NCT expires January 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

With a 3k budget and a decent motorway commute I’d probably recommend a cheap tax diesel. The likes of a 2008-2010 1.9 tdi/1.6 tdi Passat isn’t going to give you much trouble and would be comfortable on the motorway. Highline version is a very good car. There are similar options out there that others would recommend but Passat would be my go to

If you got your car through the NCT you could probably still sell it for a grand with that mileage. Better to sell it now then having to scrap it in a years time in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭shane b

FrankC21 wrote:
    my 1.2 Fiesta have 246,000 km on it and NCT expires January 2020.
    I can understand wanting to change with an nct due. At a 3k budget trying a find a diesel car with less than 200k kms may be hard and you may not be going up in years either.
    There seems to be a lot of high mileage diesels out there.

You can put your car through the nct early. That’s one hundred percent what I’d be doing, find out where you stand. Will be far more sellable or easier to trade in if you do decide to change

Yes, that's what I will do put it in early, Im not even sure if it's going to pass the NCT, at the moment transmission and the suspension doesn't feel right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Is used to do about 700km a week, in a petrol car. It really comes down to what can you afford. If the car you have now is doing fine, keep at it. If you are looking for a newer car. Chances are most of them will be diesel. So the fuel type isnt a choice. Focus on the class of vehicle you want, then look it up for reliabitly and common issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭slipperyox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭shane b

If you have already decided a 3K budget, why are you asking for opinions on a car worth 6K? Coupe cars are normally priced a bit higher than regular cars too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The EV boys are out in force. FUnny how things change

shane b wrote: »
    If you have already decided a 3K budget, why are you asking for opinions on a car worth 6K? Coupe cars are normally priced a bit higher than regular cars too.

What if I decided to get a finance for 150euro per month what will be the suitable car for that range?

How much will you actually have to spend on a newer car as you started the thread with a 10k budget, then it went down to 3k and then you posted a car valued at 6k. Not having a pop but it's very difficult for anyone to answer when the goalposts keep moving every few days.

bazz26 wrote: »
    How much will you actually have to spend on a newer car as you started the thread with a 10k budget, then it went down to 3k and then you posted a car valued at 6k. Not having a pop but it's very difficult for anyone to answer when the goalposts keep moving every few days.

It is really hard to decide my budget is 3k max, I 'm thinking if I buy a diesel car for 3k, I am pretty sure it will be a headache with the repairs, that's why I thought may be I can just finance 150eur/month for a slightly newer diesel car.

On the other hand, I can spend 3k for a petrol car which is less problematic than a diesel. but, I will have to find an economical petrol car for the mileage.

What would you do if you're in my position with a 3k budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭SCOL

Get the bus/ Train, getting through Drogheda is a nightmare and then Julianstown or the other option in the toll bridge 1.90 a pop maybe
    the M50 toll.

Probably the Train would be you best bet, I do Drogheda to Balbriggan and the traffic is getting too heave I'm going to get
    myself a motorbike.

Get the bus/ Train, getting through Drogheda is a nightmare and then Julianstown or the other option in the toll bridge 1.90 a pop maybe
    the M50 toll.

Probably the Train would be you best bet, I do Drogheda to Balbriggan and the traffic is getting too heave I'm going to get
    myself a motorbike.

I have to be at work before 8AM, looking at google map, If I commute by bus or train I have to start commuting @ around 5AM

And I finish work at 8PM - Looking at google map again I will arrive home around 10:30PM in time to go to bed and Start all over again. by the way it's winter

Is room/house sharing closer to work a few nights a week worth looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

There's a train at 6.04 from Drogheda which will take 1.5hrs with a swap over at connelly st you would be in Dun Laoghaire at 7.30 what's the problem. you would be absolutely crazy to drive that route when there's a regular train service to the destination.

Daily cost to pay for parking at the train st IF you need to park is 3.50, I can guarantee you after the second week you will be settled into it and the job and wondering why you had this crazy idea of driving from Drogheda to Dun Laoghaire.

It's only about 20 minutes more than my commute by train.

Give the train a go for 3 or 4 months before making any big changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Think of a car in monthly cost rather than outright purchase price if you're unsure of budget you have.

455kms per week will be approx 50 euro in a relatively economical car and up to 80 in something less economical so 200 to 300 a month

Insurance will be 50 to 100 a month

Tax 30 to 60 a month

Maintenance 1000 a year with a bit of luck so another 80 a month or so

So you're somewhere between 350 and 500 a month to run a car so have a think about if you can afford repayments.

Generally speaking spending a few more quid on a car should result in lower costs but this is far from a given. And you're into depreciation then too.

So pick a monthly budget and work from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

JJJJNR wrote: »
    There's a train at 6.04 from Drogheda which will take 1.5hrs with a swap over at connelly st you would be in Dun Laoghaire at 7.30 what's the problem. you would be absolutely crazy to drive that route when there's a regular train service to the destination.

Daily cost to pay for parking at the train st IF you need to park is 3.50, I can guarantee you after the second week you will be settled into it and the job and wondering why you had this crazy idea of driving from Drogheda to Dun Laoghaire.

It's only about 20 minutes more than my commute by train.

Give the train a go for 3 or 4 months before making any big changes.

Is work far from the train station? I know most of the pharma plants out that way have a Dun Laoghaire address, but it will take the guts of an hour to walk up to them as they are closer to Cabinteely or Deansgrange.

Advertisement