Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Dev Tool Install

Options
  • 07-11-2019 9:48am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I started a thread in the Unix forum, but this is a slightly different question. One thing I mentioned is, I developed a script to automatically install, configure and run Jenkins. I'm curious to know, what other DevOps tools would be of use, to develop a script which would automatically install, configure and run?

I ask, as I'm looking to build upon a repository of System Admin tools to automate as much as possible.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Have you looked at Docker & Kubernetes ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I intend to sometime today or this weekend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Ansible might be an option, especially if you are deploying across a cluster. The basic Ansible has a low enough learning footprint and the writing of the installation / playbooks is flexible in terms of tasks at hand. However more advanced GUI Ansible , Tower/AWX, is still a tad unstable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Manach wrote: »
    Ansible might be an option, especially if you are deploying across a cluster. The basic Ansible has a low enough learning footprint and the writing of the installation / playbooks is flexible in terms of tasks at hand. However more advanced GUI Ansible , Tower/AWX, is still a tad unstable.

A good idea to work on an Ansible install/deployment tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

You could add Terraform for configuration and Prometheus for monitoring to your list.

Also have a look at Cubic for creating a customized Ubuntu iso:
    https://launchpad.net/cubic

• Advertisement
Advertisement