Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant recommendation instead of Chapter One

Options
  • 07-11-2019 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

My Husband's Birthday is in January and I wanted to plan something special.
    We don't live in Dublin but have a Hotel booked for a Saturday night in the City Centre. We are leaving the Kids with my sister.
    We had wanted to go to Chapter One but they are fully booked for Dinner for all Saturdays in January and February.

So, now I am looking for recommendations for another Restaurant.
    We have Blue Book Vouchers but don't necessarily need to use them.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Big fan of the Trocadero, would recommend it for a special occasion. Not quite Michelin star but a nice venue with decent food and the staff are wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

The Winding Stair beside the Halfpenny Bridge. https://www.winding-stair.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Loads to choose from but as with Chapter One, Saturday nights are booked up early:

Glovers Alley
    Locks
    Bastible (and it's sister restaurant Clanbrassil House)
    Uno Mas & Etto

Check out the link below and select "Special Occasion". Plenty on Dublin options:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/100-of-the-best-restaurants-cafes-and-places-to-eat-in-ireland-2019-1.3906858

• Registered Users Posts: 30,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pearl Brasserie is lovely.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

Mr Fox on parnell street.

Really really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Wow - Thanks a mill. Loads to check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,350 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I haven't been there in years, and when I was it was for lunch - but I'd second the suggestion of The Winding Stair - fabulous location and really atmospheric dining room, and great food (obviously!)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Some good recommendations above, but if it's a special occasion I'd beinclined to rule out Etto and Uno Mas - food in these places is really good, but they're not "occasion" destinations. Mr Fox and Bastible both very nice, but location isn't great if you want to out afterwards. Locks is great, a bit out of the way but not too bad. Pearl definitely fits the bill, would also try see if the Greenhouse is available - very hard to beat the food here. Dax would be another suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

tastyt wrote: »
    Mr Fox on parnell street.

Really really good

Seconded!

Really nice restaurant. Only downside is it's not the best area for going for a drink before or after, if that's what you wanted to do

Ok - leaning towards Pearl Brasserie. My sister suggesting L'Ecrivan.
    Has anyone been to both ?

Our Hotel is close to Merrion Square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The pigs ear

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭antfin

Greenhouse is excellent and gives that very special type of meal that you could never try to replicate at home.

I would say L'Ecrivan is very good but slightly less adventurous.

Pearl is a beautiful dining room and equally good food.

Dax is one of my favourite restaurants and I found their tasting menu with wines very generous!

Maybe one that hasn't been suggested is Peploes, not on a par with Chapter One but equally not as pricey. A late table lets you sit in there quite late with a bottle of wine after dinner to avoid having to elbow for room in a bar on a Saturday night and ruin the posh night out!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Pearl is top notch when it comes to both food and service. And they have a proper bar & cocktail menu which is always a plus for me.

L'Ecrivain is probably the 2nd most* overrated restaurant I've been to in the country. The time I visited, they'd crammed all the 'table for 2' / couples tables in beside each other and were noticeably less courteous to those who were out for a quiet romantic meal together, preferring instead to fawn over the group tables with the higher bills (and higher tips, presumably).

It might have just been a bad night, but I would only go back if I wasn't paying for it. Banging elbows off other diners, being within earshot of both couples on my left and right, having dirty cutlery and delph left on the table for too long....it was so bad that I honestly cannot even remember how good the food was. Everything else left such a bad taste in my mouth. They are as far behind Chapter one as they are ahead of Eddie Rockets.

(Shanahan's being number 1, if you're interested)

Forest Avenue is the best experience in Dublin in my opinion, read some reviews and give it some consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

SusanC10 wrote: »

If you choose Pearl I'd suggest letting them know it's for a birthday and ask for an alcove table. There's pictures on the website, might not be for everyone but I love them.
    Great place in general!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Pearl is fantastic. Definitely agree with letting them know and trying to get the alcove table.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Patrick Guilbauds. Really worthwhile. Not really into fancy fancy but I had a great night. Food is off the chart and the staff are great.

Enjoyed L'Ecrivain but wouldn't rush back.

I enjoy these places for a once off but you can;t beat a good Italian in my mind. Some great options in Dublin now. Rosa Madre probably being my favourite.

If you want something a bit funkier and more casual, Pickle on Camden St is as good as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

I went to Rosa Madre in Temple Bar to celebrate my daughters graduation. Superb is the only way I can describe it. I think they have a website, absolutely divine food.fabulous quiet restaurant, not rowdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

The Winding Stair beside the Halfpenny Bridge. https://www.winding-stair.com/

Jesus the menu sounds fab!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

SusanC10 wrote: »

Pearl is beautiful and very near your Hotel. It's close to loads of cool bars, couldn't really be more central. They serve the bill in a chocolate box..mmmm still think about it and I was there over a year ago!!
    Enjoy, hope you have a fabulous night!

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions and advice.

I have booked Pearl Brasserie and requested the alcove table so fingers crossed !

Have kept a list of the others and will try again on a different occasion.

Thanks again.

greenhouse
    etto
    winding stair
    locks

all very good recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

If your hubby likes chicken try Chicken Hut on Clanbrassil St or Texas Fried Chicken at Crumlin Shopping Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Unicorn on Merrion Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

The Nal wrote: »
    If your hubby likes chicken try Chicken Hut on Clanbrassil St or Texas Fried Chicken at Crumlin Shopping Centre.

Both fantastic fried chicken, lacking the alcove table though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Seconded!

Really nice restaurant. Only downside is it's not the best area for going for a drink before or after, if that's what you wanted to do

Incredibly close to the Op’s Choice of Chapter One though so I expect the location would not be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Another vote here for Pearl
    Outstanding!!
    Dax is a great 2nd option

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If you want something a bit funkier and more casual, Pickle on Camden St is as good as it gets.

Think Ive eaten in Pickle 6 or 7 times now and its always a fabulous meal. Must be one of the best Indians in the country, they really are at the top of their game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Reminds me of a comment post on loving Dublin or some such for a piece on lunch places, anyway the piece was full of hyperbole and was very pretentious, so this fella started spaming the comments section with the likes of ...chicken fillet roll Center 1.99 epic lunch.

Advertisement