Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC is dog slow when install SSD

Options
  • 07-11-2019 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I replaced an old normal 500GB hard drive in my parent's PC to an SSD, fresh install of Windows 10, but it's dog slow - even hitting the start menu leads to stuttering and pauses.

It was extremely slow even in the Windows install part, the mouse would drag, simple things like hitting next took a few seconds.

I thought it was the SSD so I got another one (different brand) but it's the exact same thing! But when I put back in the old hard drive it works fine, slow-ish because it's a hard drive but otherwise fine, no stuttering or choking when opening the start menu or folders.

It's an old PC, not at all powerful, I think an N2840 or something like that, with 4gb of ram, but the fact it works fine with the old drive is what confuses me.

I have checked task manager and the speed is being reported at 2.48ghz so it's not that it's throttling or anything like that.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Homelander wrote: »
    Hi,

I replaced an old normal 500GB hard drive in my parent's PC to an SSD, fresh install of Windows 10, but it's dog slow - even hitting the start menu leads to stuttering and pauses.

It was extremely slow even in the Windows install part, the mouse would drag, simple things like hitting next took a few seconds.

I thought it was the SSD so I got another one (different brand) but it's the exact same thing! But when I put back in the old hard drive it works fine, slow-ish because it's a hard drive but otherwise fine, no stuttering or choking when opening the start menu or folders.

It's an old PC, not at all powerful, I think an N2840 or something like that, with 4gb of ram, but the fact it works fine with the old drive is what confuses me.

I have checked task manager and the speed is being reported at 2.48ghz so it's not that it's throttling or anything like that.

Any ideas?

I there something that needs to be ticked in BIOS?

Uefi bios I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I think Fieldog means AHCI. With a 2840 you'd expect the board to be default AHCI, if you set it to IDE windows WILL NOT BOOT so set the registry setting for IDE first then reboot and change the bios to IDE.

This alone may be enough to fix it but will hamper SSD performance a bit.

If its an ASUS board then try this combo:
    Storage Configuration -> SATA Configuration [Enhanced] -> Configure SATA as [IDE]
    Advanced -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> Marvell 9128 Controller [AHCI Mode]

ED E wrote: »
    I think Fieldog means AHCI. With a 2840 you'd expect the board to be default AHCI, if you set it to IDE windows WILL NOT BOOT so set the registry setting for IDE first then reboot and change the bios to IDE.

This alone may be enough to fix it but will hamper SSD performance a bit.

If its an ASUS board then try this combo:

Can't remember the exact name of it but there was an option I had to tick on my BIOS to enable the SSD, could have sworn it was UEFI or something to that effect...

I think my motherboard is an Asus if it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Turned out to be the wifi, strangely enough. When I plug in an ethernet cable it works 100% normally - on wifi, hitches and stutters, doing anything is impossible. No idea why. Must try uninstalling drivers and finding other alternatives.

Homelander wrote: »
    Turned out to be the wifi, strangely enough. When I plug in an ethernet cable it works 100% normally - on wifi, hitches and stutters, doing anything is impossible. No idea why. Must try uninstalling drivers and finding other alternatives.

Could windows 10 have done a windows update and installed the wrong driver?

Has happened me in the past always with my onboard sound, pain in the neck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Yeah sounds lovely like driver issue. If you changed sad then you prob did fresh windows install and for some reason drivers are being messed up. I would update the chipset drivers and anything else you can get off the mobo manufacturers website

Advertisement