Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

89-year old Holocaust survivor receiving hundreds of threats daily

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    It's a very simple question

No need for mental gymnastics, unless you feel you need them when confronted with that type of question..
    I'll accept the premise then, and say it would be disgusting.
    Now you show me the antisemitic insults and threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

recedite wrote: »
    I'll accept the premise then, and say it would be disgusting.

Good, no gymnastics required

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    I'll simplify it.

Does it disgust you that a Holocaust survivor is receiving antisemitic insults and threats in this day and age?

No need. I actually asked you a question. I'll ask again. Any evidence to prove that these are antisemitic threats?

Was she receiving these threats before she took the position on the committee? She's been a political figure, and therefore a public figure, for years before now. Was she receiving these threats back then too? Do other political figures with holocaust survivor status receive threats?

If not, the threats are logically related to the committee position, rather than her being a holocaust survivor. In which case, it's rather poor taste to promote it as such, and the committee should be considered as to whether its a purely innocent type of organisation, or whether there is something more going on. As I said previously, there is a lot of corruption within Italian politics, with many Italians in recent years becoming violently opposed to government involvement in different areas... because they don't trust their government to have the best interests of the people at heart. How much of this is propaganda? I'd like to know that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's the problem, very little detail. I'd also question whether this 98 year old woman is politically active in her own right, or is being used as a front by others.
    I mean, getting 2 burly policemen to guard a holocaust survivor does have a powerful ring to it in the media. But what is the reality on the ground? Who is helping her in the shower and changing the nappies?

Are you racist and sexist as well as ageist?

looksee wrote: »
    Are you racist and sexist as well as ageist?
    Which is likely to be more useful to her, two policemen in the house or a home helper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,500 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm not well enough informed about Italian politics to say.

Has she received anti-semitic insults? I think the fact that she is a holocaust survivor is being used in Italy, just as it is being used by posters in this thread.
    The salient point here is not the Holocaust, or Jewishness, it is that some legislation is being pushed in Italy, possibly similar to what certain people in Ireland are also pushing for, and her name is fronting it. Although she is a lifetime senator, I doubt she debates in the senate personally, at 98 years old.
    The kind of thing I am talking about is the usual tension between Free Speech and Hate Speech. And the tension that arises when labeling an ordinary crime as "a hate crime" and then applying a harsher sentence to it. Every country must find its own balance in these matters.

She’s 89, not 98. Seems like a petty ageist thing to get incorrect. Especially while you’re painting a narrative that she’s too old to be a “real senator”

She was made a LT Senator just 18 months ago. She made a motion for the hate speech committee. Why does it matter to you, if she doesn’t show up for every floor vote for every matter of the legislature? What standard applies to her but not other LTS?

As for the morbid desire to see the insults I’m sure they’re not hard to find if you go through the Italian web. Anyway I’ll leave this here.

“ Some of the threats have been so serious that the prefect of Milan, Renato Saccone, held a meeting on Wednesday with the committee for security and public order, where it was agreed that Ms Segre needed police protection.”

If you want to know how anti Semitic all of the threats against her are I hear they’re forming a committee for that.

Which is likely to be more useful to her, two policemen in the house or a home helper?

More ageist bull****?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How is that relevant to the discussion? How is it any of your business what personal help she may need? She looks to be a fit and feisty lady to me.

Overheal wrote: »
    If you want to know how anti Semitic all of the threats against her are I hear they’re forming a committee for that.

I haven't insulted her at all.

I simply want to know whether the threats are due to her new position, or if they're truly related to her background. My research options are very limited in China, since my VPN is currently blocked. I've no agenda to show this woman in any negative manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It seems some continue to state she is 98 just to discredit her.

I'm not overly surprised. Italy never properly dealt with their fascist past. And even if it's not the old style fascists the morons on social media love to attack women and if they are some sort of minority even better.

• Advertisement

I haven't insulted her at all.

I simply want to know whether the threats are due to her new position, or if they're truly related to her background. My research options are very limited in China, since my VPN is currently blocked. I've no agenda to show this woman in any negative manner.

I was talking to Recedite

Her background and her position and motion to start a hate speech committee are intertwined I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Any evidence to prove that these are antisemitic threats?

From the news story on TV they showed one of the tweets which was along the lines of she should have burnt in the ovens. She was reportedly receiving these insults and threats before

Completely unacceptable stuff of course, regardless of whether she is in an official position or not

meeeeh wrote: »
    It seems some continue to state she is 98 just to discredit her.
    Its 89.
    98 was my mistake, that's all.
    Dear Satan, this Christmas I want a cure for my dyslexia.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Its 89.
    98 was my mistake, that's all.
    Dear Satan, this Christmas I want a cure for my dyslexia.

dyscalculia

Advertisement