Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unRaid upgrade i5-9600K vs i7-9800x

Options
  • 07-11-2019 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

My old PSU seems to have bitten the dust, but I'm thinking of using the opportunity of future proofing my server for the next few years, but it's been a while since Iv'e built any hardware and I'm not up to speed on the latest CPUs.

Currently my thoughts are as follows:

- Motherboard: Gigayte Z390 Aorus Elite or Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 3
    - RAM: 2x Kingston KCP424NS8/8 (already have one stick of this)
    - PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 550W (just ordered this to replace my old one)
    - Cooler: I need some suggestions. It needs to be something quiet as it's goign to be in my office. There is plenty of space in case for a large heatsink. Not sure I care about water cooling.
    - CPU: i5-9600K or i7-9800x
    - data/cache dries to be recycled from current system

This will mainly be used as a Plex server but I also run a couple of VM's and have considered moving my GPU from my gaming rig and consolidating into one machine. I can source either of the CPU's cheaply, but I'm torn between QuickSync on the i5 and 16 threads on the i7. My current thoughts are that QuickSync for transcoding isn't really worth it due to inferior quality, and with 8 cores on the i7, it will not have any issues coping. I'm also thinking that the i7 is likely to be better able to mange future needs.

Can someone give me some input before I spend my euros?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Why not go AMD?

You can get a 12c/24t CPU, motherboard & cooler for same price as 10c/20t Core i9-9820X (9800X seems to be deprecated).
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/sGqpfH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Inviere

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Why not go AMD?

I finished a Ryzen 2700 Unraid build a few weeks back, can confirm I've had zero issues with it and am absolutely loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I can get the CPU's and motherboard at heavily discounted prices. Plus, unRAID can be a bit flaky on Ryzen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Inviere

stimpson wrote: »
    Plus, unRAID can be a bit flaky on Ryzen.

That's first gen Ryzen no? My 2700 was plug & play, no additional config needed. If you can get Intel products at a good price though, that does change things...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Inviere wrote: »
    That's first gen Ryzen no? My 2700 was plug & play, no additional config needed. If you can get Intel products at a good price though, that does change things...

Ah, OK. I can get the 9800x and board for ~€450

• Advertisement
Advertisement