Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overpaid by Employer

Options
  • 07-11-2019 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I recently started working in retail. Due to my age my employer said they would be paying me the reduced rate of minimum wage. This was noted in my contract. I got my first paycheck today and it seems that I have been paid at a higher rate of pay than was agreed upon. What do I do? Technically this is my employer's fault, not mine. Are they allowed to ask me for the money back? Also I'm not going to do this as I don't want to be dishonest but can I get in trouble for not telling them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Of course they can ask for it back. Do the sensible thing and bring it to their attention before they notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

realistically it's their error you can pay them back X a week but chances are they will cop it eventually so best off just raising it with them now

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

It will be noticed eventually anyway, so telling your boss as soon as you can will show your honesty and they will appreciate it. Especially as it may prevent a headache for them or someone in payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

If you work in retail, you could have been paid extra for working at the weekend, e.g. normal wage + 5% for a Saturday and normal wage + 10% for a Sunday. Have you got your payslip to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

rk2301 wrote: »
    I recently started working in retail. Due to my age my employer said they would be paying me the reduced rate of minimum wage. This was noted in my contract. I got my paycheck today and it seems that I have been paid at a higher rate of pay than was agreed upon. What do I do? Technically this is my employer's fault, not mine. Are they allowed to ask me for the money back? I'm not going to do this as I don't want to be dishonest but can I get in trouble for not telling them?

You know that “finders keepers losers weepers” was just a silly playground rhyme rather than a legal position to stand over ?

It’s their money and they are absolutely entitled to it back. The sooner you bring it to their attention the better all round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rk2301

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't been sent my payslip yet so I'm not 100% sure what has happened. Once I confirm that I have actually been overpaid I'll let my manager know.

Advertisement