Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenomics

Options
  • 07-11-2019 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Hi I am staying up in Kilkenny on Saturday (Lyrath) and i see the Kilkeonomics festival is on. Bit of a strange one, mix between comedy and economics. Just wondering if it will be any good or will there be a good buzz around town.

Haven't got any tickets yet either so all advice would be welcome, i.e. where to get tickets and which shows to catch?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Currently at kilkenomics, a good few debates are sold out, I'd recommend pre-booking shows of interest, allow yourself a few minutes between shows to get around the city. It's a great weekend, kilkenny is nearly always buzzing no matter what's going on. Enjoy your weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Apparently 7,000 tickets sold https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/491570/kilkenomics-over-7-000-tickets-sold-already-for-kilkenny-festival.html

It should add a bit of a buzz in the city over the weekend.

Dymo wrote:
    Apparently 7,000 tickets sold

Yea it does seem to be getting busier every year

small snippet on bbc radio today program from kilkenomics, might give you an idea of the festival, about the 22 min mark

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000b0q2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

I thought it was going to struggle after the Web Summit moved to Portugal because a lot of the speakers came directly from there and there was some very interesting talks but it seems to have grown.

• Advertisement

Dymo wrote: »
    I thought it was going to struggle after the Web Summit moved to Portugal because a lot of the speakers came directly from there and there was some very interesting talks but it seems to have grown.

yea its an unusual one, it really is growing, and its also great to see the amount of young people at it, and some really know their stuff to, it would give you a bit of hope

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Dymo wrote: »
    Apparently 7,000 tickets sold https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/491570/kilkenomics-over-7-000-tickets-sold-already-for-kilkenny-festival.html

It should add a bit of a buzz in the city over the weekend.

Going to go in around and see if I can pick up tickets as we go. Might try adverts and Done deal as well

Irishder wrote:
    Going to go in around and see if I can pick up tickets as we go. Might try adverts and Done deal as well

Still tickets available for some shows on kilkenomics.com

bbc in the balance broadcasting live now from kilkenomics, pre-recorded Thursday evening

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_world_service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Don't tell me that there are people out there stupid enough to pay to hear Yanis Varoufakis spouting rubbish.

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    Don't tell me that there are people out there stupid enough to pay to hear Yanis Varoufakis spouting rubbish.

yea im one of those stupid people, why what upsets you about what hes says?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    yea im one of those stupid people, why what upsets you about what hes says?

I might listen to what he has to say, but I certainly wouldn't pay for the "privilege".

Seamai wrote: »
    I might listen to what he has to say, but I certainly wouldn't pay for the "privilege".

ah well, hes not doing solo runs this year at the festival, so you could miss interesting debates with other contributors, its well worth paying for it in my opinion, and it seems like many others have the same opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

I went to something at this about three or four years ago I'd say and it was excellent. It's a really good idea for a festival. I remember the title of my event was hipsternomics! The whole hipster thing was in full flight at that stage. You'd never think that you can mix comedy with economics but it really works. Kilkenny is a great location for it too because it's small enough to have the vibe that there's a festival going on even when it's a small one like this.

redlead wrote: »
    I went to something at this about three or four years ago I'd say and it was excellent. It's a really good idea for a festival. I remember the title of my event was hipsternomics! The whole hipster thing was in full flight at that stage. You'd never think that you can mix comedy with economics but it really works.

think i might have been at that one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

redlead wrote: »
    I went to something at this about three or four years ago I'd say and it was excellent. It's a really good idea for a festival. I remember the title of my event was hipsternomics! The whole hipster thing was in full flight at that stage. You'd never think that you can mix comedy with economics but it really works. Kilkenny is a great location for it too because it's small enough to have the vibe that there's a festival going on even when it's a small one like this.

I've been to a few over the years and I won't bother with them any more - the panels are too big so often people hardly get a word in, and a lot of the shows are to short to get into any real interesting detail - it's all real high level basic stuff that you would hear on any current affairs radio show.

So many times I have come away from shows thinking what a wasted opportunity - here you have these brilliant world class minds and they're on the stage explaining to dum dums what a bond yield is :rolleyes:]]

The Yannis Varufacais (sic?) one was decent enough.

Sky King wrote:
    I've been to a few over the years and I won't bother with them any more - the panels are too big so often people hardly get a word in, and a lot of the shows are to short to get into any real interesting detail - it's all real high level basic stuff that you would hear on any current affairs radio show.

I'm obviously gonna disagree, I've been going for maybe 5 years now, and I love going back

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

Sky King wrote: »

So many times I have come away from shows thinking what a wasted opportunity - here you have these brilliant world class minds and they're on the stage explaining to dum dums what a bond yield is :rolleyes:]]

The Yannis Varufacais (sic?) one was decent enough.

I’d agree with this. Go to 2 or 3 shows most years and I always come away with the same thought “that was expensive for what it was”.
    20 or €25 is a lot to hear a couple of like minded people chat meanderingly about some topic for an hour.

Advertisement