Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time and getting a day off

Options
  • 07-11-2019 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am 19 working part time through college. I always work Saturday and Sunday full days, and either Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday for 5 hours.

I know the questions are probably quite basic and maybe silly but I am new (1 year) in Ireland and also don't have parents etc. that I can ask these questions to, let alone anyone who knows about Irish system of working.

Basically I want to know about how to figure out my days off? I have not taken ANY holiday days and my boss says every time I have plenty of time in the week to work my schedule around the hours I work because it is only part time.

I have worked in this supermarket since January 2019 and I have never booked any days off! Also in summer holidays I worked full time and some weeks worked 52-54 hours. So all through summer I also never booked a single day off. It is normal for us to work like 12 or 13 days in a row too, although some would be half days like 10am-2pm or 7pm-11pm.

On October 13th I asked for a Saturday 16th November off one month in advance because a family friend from home is travelling around and will be in my town on that day. I explained this also to my boss. Today we got our roster and I am working 11am-8pm this day (nov16). I understand you cannot get off every day you ask for, but in all of the just four days that I have asked for off all year I have never got any. My boss says each time that everyone else has worked full time all week so must rest.

I am feeling frustrated :( I like my job mostly, friends with everyone and always do a lot of extra paperwork and stacking and cleaning. Also we are not allowed to swap shifts as I offered to do this for someone before because they wanted to go to a concert and boss said no, roster is final roster.

I do not want a weekend off every month, I know my job is to work weekends and this suits me. But to not be able to book off a day ever? Should I just shut up and accept it? Maybe I am naive about working :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Your manager (or someone above you, at least) should be totalling up the holiday hours you're owed. Ask your manager how many holiday hours you've built up, and if he/she doesn't know, ask who you need to go to find out.

You're still entitled to holidays as a part-time worker, ask your manager for a holiday request form a see what he/she says.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Your manager sounds like he is completely taking advantage of you. Is there anyone else you can speak to? A higher up manager, or HR?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Is holiday pay listed in your payslip, OP? Some employers pay casual workers their statutory 8% every pay run, but it’s very unfair not to give you any time off at all, particularly when you’ve asked for so little. Is there another employee you could switch shifts with on this occasion? If your employer won’t budge I would look at trying to find other work after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

You are legally entitled to annual leave, research your rights and then speak to your employer/boss from an informed position.
    Part-time work: Generally, the annual leave for part-time workers is calculated using the 3rd method, that is, 8% of hours worked. If you work full time for some months and the rest of the year you work part time, you should calculate the leave for the full-time and the part-time periods of work separately.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

On October 13th I asked for a Saturday 16th November off one month in advance because a family friend from home is travelling around and will be in my town on that day. I explained this also to my boss. Today we got our roster and I am working 11am-8pm this day (nov16). I understand you cannot get off every day you ask for, but in all of the just four days that I have asked for off all year I have never got any. My boss says each time that everyone else has worked full time all week so must rest.

(

While its true the staff working during the week are not required to work weekends, its not true that they are not allowed (occassionally) to work additional hours. I would guess they would expect to be paid 1.5x normal wage for overtime -ie more than your boss would pay you. Thats probably why he doesnt want to have them work.

He should have sufficient staff to cover time off though -thats not your issue, thats his.

As for your request, does your company have a policy on how far in advance requests need to be made?

Company's do not have to accept each and every request, but they must make reasonable arrangements to facilitate you being able to take your statutory entitled holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, it's me again. Great to get a lot of replies :D I read them all

So I got paid today and showed my payslip to a guy I work with and asked if holiday pay was on it, he said no.

So I went to my boss and asked if he could count up how much days off I have added up over this year. He said to give him a couple hours to check and then said 'but when do you think you're going to take them?' I said well I would still like to have off 16th if its possible, and then book some other days. He also said it is a busy run up to christmas now and we need everyone in! He said I should only book off my week day shifts and not Saturday or Sunday.

I asked some other people at work and they said it's not fair. Basically I do a counter on my own on the weekends and nobody else is trained for this that works on weekends. So i understand I am needed there I guess, but they are lucky I have never called in sick!!

I guess I don't have any specific weekend plans by the end of this year, but it would have been nice to have one weekend off in a year :) also my boss never came back to tell me how many holidays I have. He finishes before me and left.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You are absolutely earning annual leave as you work. You should be entitled to take a day off as AL once you have accrued enough time.

You can check and indeed should contact citizens advice but you should accrued 8% of hours worked as annual leave.

By not allowing you take leave this tome is being stolen from you !

Be nice, be friendly but definitely tell your manager your entitled to this and would Like to take some time off, give as much notice as possible to allow cover be arranged. Swapping shifts is useful but not the same as annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If a manager is telling you or disallowing you from taking a holiday from your entitled leave on a weekend day or weekday that’s grossly unacceptable.

It would be only acceptable if for example ...

- somebody has already requested and been given this day off.

- a one off work event like a training course that you are mandated to attend was already scheduled in advance.

Or some similar circumstances. It’s a load of bollôcks quite frankly to tell staff, “no sorry, no leave at weekends”. Laughable...that boss deserves being given several hours of unrelenting kicks to the nuts, about the only ‘re-education’ likely to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

You are entitled to your days off, employers are not entitled to pay you in lieu of holidays unless there are exceptional circumstances such as you leaving the employment.

You are entitled to take days off at the weekend as well not just midweek.

However the days off are granted on days that that suit the employer.

The more notice you give him the better chance that he will be able to accommodate you.

I would advise you to stay quiet on this until you have your full 12 months done, you will have way more rights than you do at the moment. Then you can start looking for the days you want off on a better footing.

Advertisement