Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking bother "newbie"

Options
  • 07-11-2019 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

So I've progressed from just driving to work and back to going into shops with car parks but I've found myself in some unexpected situations.

Do I just park frontways in a spot and awkwardly pull her out and in the direction I'm going when leaving? or

Do I turn and stop the bike rear facing and get off and pull her back a little - which still looks silly but at least I can just get on and go when ready? or

When and how do I park up near the shop doors ie at supermarkets as although I see bikes in these places all the time, when I tried it once it seemed every person and their nanny was walking by so I just sat on the bike like an eijit while I got dirty looks?!:rolleyes: (Don't want to intimidate or scare folk of course!)

Thankfully this is my only issue and I will be watching some videos on Youtube later regarding same but was wondering in Ireland specifically, are there rules on this? I'm trying not to bring attention to myself or have any more men ask me if I need a hand, which I appreciate but find embarrassing :o

Anyone got some simple, appropriate parking tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

So I've progressed from just driving to work and back to going into shops with car parks but I've found myself in some unexpected situations.

Do I just park frontways in a spot and awkwardly pull her out and in the direction I'm going when leaving? or

Do I turn and stop the bike rear facing and get off and pull her back a little - which still looks silly but at least I can just get on and go when ready? or

When and how do I park up near the shop doors ie at supermarkets as although I see bikes in these places all the time, when I tried it once it seemed every person and their nanny was walking by so I just sat on the bike like an eijit while I got dirty looks?!:rolleyes: (Don't want to intimidate or scare folk of course!)

Thankfully this is my only issue and I will be watching some videos on Youtube later regarding same but was wondering in Ireland specifically, are there rules on this? I'm trying not to bring attention to myself or have any more men ask me if I need a hand, which I appreciate but find embarrassing :o

Anyone got some simple, appropriate parking tips?

I normally try and park as close to the entrance as I can without impeding pedestrians or other cars. If I can't find somewhere a parking space will do. Avoid slopes and just paddle the bike in backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

Thanks for the reply Zubair unfortunately I can't exactly "paddle" it backwards so I have to get off and steer her back (which I do at work as no one is around).

Are there laws regarding the parking of motorbikes? If you park in a car space, particularly between 2 parked cars, is there not a high risk a car will swing in thinking its available?

Thanks for the reply Zubair unfortunately I can't exactly "paddle" it backwards so I have to get off and steer her back (which I do at work as no one is around).

Are there laws regarding the parking of motorbikes? If you park in a car space, particularly between 2 parked cars, is there not a high risk a car will swing in thinking its available?

Then don't paddle it haha. I'd occasionally walk it in maybe on a slope for example, I wouldn't be worrying about people being around, on the IBT you walk the bike, you don't paddle it. Some of my mates walk their bike rather than paddle all the time too, I wouldn't think anything of it.

Well I've parked in all sorts of places and not had a problem, just be considerate. Depends on the area really. If in doubt park beside a bike rack.

That's a risk I guess, sometimes I might park closer to the front of the space so it's visible.

My advice might suck a bit, I forgot about your previous thread.

I'd say stick to parking spaces for the moment. Find one that's level, if the space slopes down definitely back it in so you can drive out. I would typically choose a spot that allows me to drive into it and drive out of it if I can.

I'm sure you walked the bike plenty on your ibt and since but here's a refresher. Always stand on the left. Both hands on the bar, clutch and brake covered, don't push it with the bar and tail. lean the bike into your hip at all times, tank or saddle. Leave it in gear, clutch in when moving it, clutch out will act like a brake.

Practice walking around the bike keeping it upright, moving from grab point to grab point. See how light it really is when on its balance point.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I always park my bike face out. Always the reason is it forms a habit . Because if you ever need to park in a spade with a slope down. Your habit will force you to back into it.

Try backing out of a sloped space one time, and see how you feel about reversing your bike in front of people.

Develop habits with these things. It's not always but most folks I find that drive into a space forwards haven't sat an ibt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

I judge by the space. Whatever way its sloping will decide which way is easier to push it, I'd struggle to push it up a slope and only would when I have to. I do try to park as near to an entrance without obstructing anyone. If there's no room, I'll use a parking space.

Unlike Zubair, I always stand to the right of the bike when I'm pushing it, because I'm clumsy and not very strong, if I lose my balance I can push it over onto the stand, rather than have it fall onto me.

CBRLizzie wrote: »
    I judge by the space. Whatever way its sloping will decide which way is easier to push it, I'd struggle to push it up a slope and only would when I have to. I do try to park as near to an entrance without obstructing anyone. If there's no room, I'll use a parking space.

Unlike Zubair, I always stand to the right of the bike when I'm pushing it, because I'm clumsy and not very strong, if I lose my balance I can push it over onto the stand, rather than have it fall onto me.

Unlike me and every other rider :}

I jest. The stand won't save the bike if it goes over too far. The idea is that the bike is being propped up by your hip if you lean it in. Stand should be up if you're walking it. Lose your balance then front brake or release the clutch and support with your hip. I have moved the bike around in many different ways but this undoubtedly is the safest way and is how you'll be expected to do it on your test (on and off stand}.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

zubair wrote: »
    Unlike me and every other rider :}

I jest. The stand won't save the bike if it goes over too far. The idea is that the bike is being propped up by your hip if you lean it in. Stand should be up if you're walking it. Lose your balance then front brake or release the clutch and support with your hip. I have moved the bike around in many different ways but this undoubtedly is the safest way and is how you'll be expected to do it on your test (on and off stand}.

Its served me well for 20 years of riding, and has always held. Each to their own, as they say. And hopefully I never have to do the test again ;)

CBRLizzie wrote: »
    Its served me well for 20 years of riding, and has always held. Each to their own, as they say. And hopefully I never have to do the test again ;)

Seems you have lots of experience but your advice will likely lead to a dropped bike for our newbie.

Seems you have lots of experience but your advice will likely lead to a dropped bike for our newbie.

I wouldn't have tried it with my bike! To be honest I'm just going to keep my trips to the shops for the car and the bike can be just fun time!

Alternatively, I can hang around car parks all weekend watching bikers parking method... not weird at all right!:D

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have tried it with my bike! To be honest I'm just going to keep my trips to the shops for the car and the bike can be just fun time!

Alternatively, I can hang around car parks all weekend watching bikers parking method... not weird at all right!:D

Only way to learn is to go out and do it, you need more trips to the shops on the bike :-)

Seriously, just practice moving your bike around your drive way or an empty car park. While you're there you can practice your slow control, I spent hours in empty car parks when I first started.

Only way to learn is to go out and do it, you need more trips to the shops on the bike :-)

Seriously, just practice moving your bike around your drive way or an empty car park. While you're there you can practice your slow control, I spent hours in empty car parks when I first started.

For some reason I'm not bad in the empty car park, when there's these things called people around, then I lose my nerve! But yeah I am practicing and love learning all the time. I even like being in traffic on her :)

It took me a good while to be what I would say (others may argue) a confident and safe car driver so I am giving myself a bit of time. There's so much information out there though I can get bamboozled trying to take it all in!

Thanks for the advice, I don't feel there's any proper guide/rules in Ireland as opposed to UK or American websites, and I am a reader so I'd respond better to reading something than watching if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,065 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I spent hours in empty car parks when I first started.

I think they call that "cruising" :pac:

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

I think they call that "cruising" :pac:

Soz, this was meant for the AH forum, I wasn't even on the bike XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Sometimes I'll look for two (or three) empty spaces together and drive into one and swing out front facing in the other. Saves you having to back into one. As said earlier, it saves time if you park facing front outwards.

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Sometimes I'll look for two (or three) empty spaces together and drive into one and swing out front facing in the other. Saves you having to back into one. As said earlier, it saves time if you park facing front outwards.

Thanks Blondie919, do you bring a lock for your bike all the time? Like for at shops etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Thanks Blondie919, do you bring a lock for your bike all the time? Like for at shops etc?

I bring a disc lock in the top box always. If I'm going to be away from my bike for a long time I try to park near CCTV or somewhere out in open view. If I had to park up for a very long time I'd bring a chain and try to park it somewhere close to a pole. The outer pole on a bicycle rack usually does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

Yes, lock it always. If nothing else your insurance company will probably want to know if it was locked.
    I had a bike stolen many years ago. I had a lock in the top box, but I was parking is a college car park and I was only going to be a few minutes so I didn't bother.. The bike stolen within minutes of leaving it, so lesson learned for me.

rock22 wrote: »
    Yes, lock it always. If nothing else your insurance company will probably want to know if it was locked.
    I had a bike stolen many years ago. I had a lock in the top box, but I was parking is a college car park and I was only going to be a few minutes so I didn't bother.. The bike stolen within minutes of leaving it, so lesson learned for me.

Yikes.. thanks rock22.. I wont go out without a lock now.. have probably just been lucky so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Always park the bike leaning into the slope!
    2 indicators later

• Advertisement

TheW1zard wrote: »
    2 indicators later

Haha, you're talking about when the slope is to the side of the bike.

Do you have new fancy led indicators on one side now?

TheW1zard wrote: »
    2 indicators later

Haha! Will do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Haha, you're talking about when the slope is to the side of the bike.

Do you have new fancy led indicators on one side now?

Even worse I have 4!
    Happened at a bike show I was so embarrased :pac::pac:

Advertisement