Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to leave job

Options
  • 07-11-2019 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I started a junior accounting job at the start of the year. I had never worked in an office before. Everything was ok for the first few months but lately i have been been given too much responsibility and have a big workload given my lack of experience. I having really dedicated myself to the job and have been quite depressed and have been drinking heavily the last few months. I basically want out and not sure what the best way to go about it is. Is it ok to just give a weeks notice and leave? I would feel guilty given that it's a busy period but my heads not really in the job and most days I am struggling to concentrate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Would you not look for alternative work first.

In addition.

I’ve seen people jack in their job because it was causing them soo much trouble only to later realise that in fact it wasn’t the job but some other issue they were compensating for.

Maybe seek some help before making such a large decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Ive been in a similar situation as yourself.
    1.First thing to do is weight up your options.
    2. Consider the time of year you will be handing in your notice, December and January are expensive months. Can you afford to wait until the receipt of your first jobseekers payment.
    3. Your notice period required.
    4. If the job is causing you excess anxiety it's not worth the grief, start the ball rolling about making the move.
    5. Take a few days holidays prior to handing in your notice to check how you feel when removed from the workplace environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

I think maybe your not built to be an accountant mate

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

gibgodsman wrote: »

Considering you don’t know the OP or the machinations of their working life saying what they are built to do or not isn’t really in your scope, rubbish of the highest order in fact.

OP if you are unhappy, quit. get some rest,then find a job with a fair and balanced workload and expectations. If you are drinking too much (been there too) it’s pretty detrimental to your health and wellbeing and is a clear sign that you are not happy, under stress, I know I was. It’s horrible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

gibgodsman wrote: »

And I think that you are not mature enough for adult conversation, but then again I don't know you, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, which is what you should have done for the OP, especially since you added absolutely noting to the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hi I started a junior accounting job at the start of the year. I had never worked in an office before. Everything was ok for the first few months but lately i have been been given too much responsibility and have a big workload given my lack of experience. I having really dedicated myself to the job and have been quite depressed and have been drinking heavily the last few months. I basically want out and not sure what the best way to go about it is. Is it ok to just give a weeks notice and leave? I would feel guilty given that it's a busy period but my heads not really in the job and most days I am struggling to concentrate.

Clearly you are not in a good situation right now and it is good the you recognise that booze is not the solution.

So long as you meet the notice period terms in your employment contract you really have no reason to feel bad about leaving your employer, it that is what you want to do, you made a commitment in your contract and you followed through on it.

But before you do, I'd suggest you have a talk with your family doctor, every job has it's pressure points and we all have to learn to deal with them in our own way. Perhaps he can give you a sick note for a week or so to give you a break, suggest some counselling or may be even some kind of medication if he thinks it necessary. At least that way, if it does not work out you will be able to say to yourself, I gave it my best shot, did everything possible but it just was not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

i'd suggest approaching your manager and discuss this with them. See what they can do to reduce the stress?

I'm *guessing* that a large cause of the stress is that you don't feel comfortable with what you have to do, and the unpredictable nature of when the work is coming.

These two issues will feed off of each other. I would think that once you get more comfortable in what you need to do that the stress would reduce considerably.

Running away from the problem, while fixing it in the short term, will not help you develop coping skills for when this problem inevitably happens again. That said, there are times when you need to be mature enough to realise that the best course of action is to get out as the problem is being caused by the organisation rather than you.

Advertisement