Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I quit

Options
  • 08-11-2019 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm on fixed term contract of three months but I'm really unhappy in the job and want to quit, I'm in the job nine weeks now, can I quit without notice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

This should be called out clearly in your contract, have you taken a look at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Unless it's specified in your contract, you do not have to give notice if you have worked there less than 13 weeks.
    Life's too short. If you're not happy and don't mind not getting a reference, you should leave regardless of what your contract says.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

If it were me I'd start looking for something new and quit when I got something else, but it's up to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

A three month contract is normally not going to have a notice period of more than one week. If that is the case I would honour it and move on.

That said, I am assuming that it is the work itself which is making you unhappy. If it is more the case that the staff their are getting you down, etc., then just cut our losses and leave immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭KaneToad

If its really terrible I'd be leaving immediately. An employee on a 3 mth contract is highly unlikely to be pursued for leaving early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Your contract is 3 months, so you’ve already worked 9 out of a possible 12 weeks. I think it would be better to finish the 3 weeks left - I don’t think it’s worth p*ssing off your employer by disappearing - you never know who / where you’ll work with again.

Having said that, if you’re getting panic attacks at going to work, or severe bullying, then maybe it’s worth just walking. If it’s a case of ‘I just really don’t like it’, then I think you should suck it up for 3 weeks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Quitman wrote: »
    I'm on fixed term contract of three months but I'm really unhappy in the job and want to quit, I'm in the job nine weeks now, can I quit without notice?

Yes if your employer can terminate you without notice... does it say so in the contract?

In any case you are only talking about three weeks, it will take that at least to find something new so why not keep the cash flowing in for the next few weeks....

Advertisement