Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The House of the Dead

Options
  • 08-11-2019 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Developers want to turn the Georgian house at 15 Usher's Island into a 56-room hostel. But this house is also the setting for "The Dead," James Joyce's acclaimed short story from Dubliners, sparking conflict between the developers and preservationists.

Led by Colm Tóibín, a group of leading literary figures, including Salman Rushdie, has written an open letter to culture minister Josepha Madigan and Dublin City Council chief executive Owen Keegan, asking them to stop the developers from going ahead. They believe the building should be used to celebrate Joyce's legacy.

What think you? Does preservation of these literary landmarks matter? Or should they be redeveloped and put to commercial use?

Comments

A cultural monument converted into a generic hostel? Talk about dearth of imagination. Any rational person would be opposed to this monstrosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Developers want to turn the Georgian house at 15 Usher's Island into a 56-room hostel. But this house is also the setting for "The Dead," James Joyce's acclaimed short story from Dubliners, sparking conflict between the developers and preservationists.

Led by Colm Tn, a group of leading literary figures, including Salman Rushdie, has written an open letter to culture minister Josepha Madigan and Dublin City Council chief executive Owen Keegan, asking them to stop the developers from going ahead. They believe the building should be used to celebrate Joyce's legacy.

What think you? Does preservation of these literary landmarks matter? Or should they be redeveloped and put to commercial use?

It's a house. Idiots love blocking progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

We already have a James Joyce museum. do we really need another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Led by Colm Tóibín, a group of leading literary figures, including Salman Rushdie, has written an open letter to culture minister Josepha Madigan and Dublin City Council chief executive Owen Keegan, asking them to stop the developers from going ahead. They believe the building should be used to celebrate Joyce's legacy.

Can't it be both a literary landmark and a hotel? I love the Dead and watch the film every Christmas it is my favorite Christmas film, I have seen a great stage adaption as well, however, if John Huston had not made the film would it be as well known after all it come from a book of short stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Neither. I believe that they should be repurposed by the council as low-income housing for artists.

There is a dearth of places to live in Dublin for people involved in the creative arts and the setting for a seminal story in literature would be a perfect place for them to live.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Hands up if you have ever visited the place or plan to?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    If you have a point, I don't see it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    If you have a point, I don't see it.

To give you an analogy, the house is like that packet of rich tea biscuits in the back of your press. Nobody uses them, they are not cared for, most likely not to be used ever, taking up space....but you just can't let go of them because

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I had never been to Henerita street until I went to the Museum there.

I would say some littery tours migh include it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Stick a plaque on the front stating the “cultural” importance of the site when the new building goes up.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm one of those people who, in a vague way, would like to see such old buildings preserved, but also have to admit that I'd probably never make any effort whatsoever to visit the place, so my opinion isn't worth much.

osarusan wrote: »
    I'm one of those people who, in a vague way, would like to see such old buildings preserved, but also have to admit that I'd probably never make any effort whatsoever to visit the place, so my opinion isn't worth much.
    If some imagination would be used when suggestions are made that these old buildings are preserved rather than just turning them into museums, people would probably be more enthusiastic about the idea.

Hence my idea to turn it into low-income housing for people involved in the creative arts.

To give you an analogy, the house is like that packet of rich tea biscuits in the back of your press. Nobody uses them, they are not cared for, most likely not to be used ever, taking up space....but you just can't let go of them because
    Well to extend that analogy, imagine that this discussion is one person taking that packet of Rich Tea biscuits out of the press suggesting "let's throw this out" and their partner offering that they shouldn't waste food, perhaps it could be used to make a base for a cheesecake etc.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Well to extend that analogy, imagine that this discussion is one person taking that packet of Rich Tea biscuits out of the press suggesting "let's throw this out" and their partner offering that they shouldn't waste food, perhaps it could be used to make a base for a cheesecake etc.

I do like cheesecake.

I do like cheesecake.
    I knew well someone would start salivating as soon as desserts were mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Had to google it.
    I see no problem turning it into a hotel.
    Better yet, a hostel for the homeless

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fb9578e22-ffe9-11e9-a530-16c6c29e70ca?fit=scale-down&source=next&width=700

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Turn it into a homeless hostel and for Christmas get the homeless to re enact the short story

It could be done every year with a rotating cast of the homeless

The tourists would love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

a number of years ago there was a plan to demolish Wigan Pier until the literary associations with George Orwell were pointed out.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Suffer like G did?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

I thought this was going to be about The Fall of the House Of Usher....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

On a serious note, why not a compromise, a Joycean themed hostel? Seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Treat it like any heritage building, use it for what ever, but maintain the structure.
    Heritage and culture is what keeps us from a Carroll's Tourist shop or McDonalds on every street corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

On a serious note, why not a compromise, a Joycean themed hostel? Seriously

Seems a fine compromise to me. :)

Ulysses gets more attention, but I'd warrant more people have read Dubliners because it's more accessible. A lot of American students in particular would be familiar with "The Dead" and I'd bet there'd be demand to stay in the hostel where it is set.

So many buildings are mentioned in Joyce's work that it's impractical to designate all of them as protected structures. Plus, we already have the James Joyce Centre and the James Joyce Museum catering to literary tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

If we are to listen to the anti-progress mob and preserve every house, street, area associated with the likes of Yeats, Joyce, Beckett, Kavanagh, Heaney, Pearse, 1916, 1922, etc etc etc we would slap a preservation order on the whole country. Let's be realistic and stop giving these frivolous objections airtime. If any of those authors want to put their money where their mouth is let them buy the place and open a museum. Some of the names on the list are multi-millionaires but they still think the ordinary Irish taxpayer should pick up the bill.

touts wrote: »
    If we are to listen to the anti-progress mob and preserve every house, street, area associated with the likes of Yeats, Joyce, Beckett, Kavanagh, Heaney, Pearse, 1916, 1922, etc etc etc we would slap a preservation order on the whole country. Let's be realistic and stop giving these frivolous objections airtime. If any of those authors want to put their money where their mouth is let them buy the place and open a museum. Some of the names on the list are multi-millionaires but they still think the ordinary Irish taxpayer should pick up the bill.

What bill?
    I know a family live in a heritage home. Just means they can't attach a satellite dish to the side of the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

What bill?
    I know a family live in a heritage home. Just means they can't attach a satellite dish to the side of the house.

Colm Tóibín was on Radio 1 earlier saying that the state should purchase the house, restore it, and operate it as a museum. All of that would have to be done at the taxpayer's expense.

Colm Tóibín was on Radio 1 earlier saying that the state should purchase the house, restore it, and operate it as a museum. All of that would have to be done at the taxpayer's expense.

No. I don't agree with that. I was at the opening of the original Joyce center before they moved. A plaque by the door, (like Leo Bloom's house) and keep the structure as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

You reckon newgrange would be an ideal situation for a hotel/golf course, don't ye.

Odhinn wrote: »
    You reckon newgrange would be an ideal situation for a hotel/golf course, don't ye.

A foreva home for Lesbian Muslims ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,256 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ah FFS, we pay too much attention to that semi-literate pervert as it is. How Joyce is considered one of our literary greats has always been a mystery to me. The man's disregard for grammar alone should discount him from consideration.

Good luck to the developers. I'm sure they'll make the most out of the property's association with the novel and will pay handsome rates to Dublin City Council rather than wasting public money on a "museum" that couldn't possibly break even. If Colm Tóibín wants the house preserved and turned into a money-pit, let him and his friends pay for it.

Advertisement