Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The House of the Dead

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Also it's in a super dodgy junkie riddled area. The museum set won't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Also it's in a super dodgy junkie riddled area. The museum set won't like it.

we already have a jame joyce museum. we really dont need 2 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Sleepy wrote: »
    Ah FFS, we pay too much attention to that semi-literate pervert as it is. How Joyce is considered one of our literary greats has always been a mystery to me. The man's disregard for grammar alone should discount him from consideration.

Good luck to the developers. I'm sure they'll make the most out of the property's association with the novel and will pay handsome rates to Dublin City Council rather than wasting public money on a "museum" that couldn't possibly break even. If Colm Tóibín wants the house preserved and turned into a money-pit, let him and his friends pay for it.

I almost LOL'd at that, I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Plaque seems the best way to do it and just move on. It's the standard approach. The majority of Joyce locations have long since moved from what they were.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Why would anyone with an ounce of dignity want to stay in a hostel anyway, if I wanted to lay on semen stained sheets I would go to a brothel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Sleepy wrote: »
    Ah FFS, we pay too much attention to that semi-literate pervert as it is. How Joyce is considered one of our literary greats has always been a mystery to me. The man's disregard for grammar alone should discount him from consideration.

Blasphemy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Blasphemy!

TBF, he didn't seem to grasp punctuation ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

TBF, he didn't seem to grasp punctuation ;)

Let's just say he knew when to break the rules!

If there was any Joycean building that deserved preservation, it's the Mullingar House in Chapelizod, which features centrally in Finnegans Wake, but that pub was completely gutted about 20 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Why would anyone with an ounce of dignity want to stay in a hostel anyway, if I wanted to lay on semen stained sheets I would go to a brothel

A line worthy of the man himself.

I thought a Joycean themed hostel would be a good idea myself, let the place be lived in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

A trendy boutique hotel maybe if not a homeless hostel

• Advertisement
Advertisement