Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"OK Boomer"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

tuxy wrote: »
    Born in the wrong generation?

Absolutely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Absolutely.

I think the born in the wrong generation meme was more interesting that this current ok boomer one.
    It certainly would have sparked a more meaningful conversation.
    But you see how to will cycle and come around to eventually cover everyone.
    It's just different variations on the same idea.

Ireland has a (lack of babies) boom / bust cycle unrelated to American or western European demographics.

We didn't have the dip of birth rates during the second world war and the boom in births after it: we had high birth rates the whole time but a whole generation in the 50s emigrated and so not as many babies were born, birthrates returned to normal after that giving the relative boom but the grand children of the people who emigrated in the 50s were not born in Ireland leading to a dip and then once normal service resumed the baby boom was back again in the 70s. We are still seeing the consequences of an entire lost generation from the 50s. Immigration and lower birthrates are slowly balancing it out but you could argue that the property boom and bust of the past 25 years is following the same cycle as babies born during relative booms come of age and form their own families and need homes.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

34 here pal and I’d kick your sockless skinny jeans wearing ass without a breaking a sweat.

Whats that old man? You want me to remove your pension and free healthcare? See how hard you are when youre on the pavement

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Whats that old man? You want me to remove your pension and free healthcare? See how hard you are when youre on the pavement

Sorry bud but your generation doesn’t get to act the hard man, it’s ****ing laughable to watch any of ye floppy haired soft souled gomies trying to act the billy Big bollix, nothing but a pack of muppets haha. Toddle back to to your safe space now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'm 47, worked two jobs for years to get the money together to buy my own home in 2004 with my wife who was only working one job. Oldest son is 28 is a Garda with no sense of entitlement as he spent 6 years working minimum wage jobs, younger son a college first year also realises the necessity of work.
    I need a label well not really, the rest of ye need to cop the f**k on and just live your lives and stop blaming others for the **** you have to deal with. We all have **** to deal with.

Sorry bud but your generation doesn’t get to act the hard man, it’s ****ing laughable to watch any of ye floppy haired soft souled gomies trying to act the billy Big bollix, nothing but a pack of muppets haha. Toddle back to to your safe space now.

What a surprise, after hours thread ends up with two millennials arguing.

You better shut it old man or I’ll uninstall the drivers for your printer. bet you dont even know what a driver is. I’ll charge you €200 quid to reinstall it and you’ll pay because you boomers are stupid and computer illiterate.

00:30 seconds in is the fate of all boomers.

https://youtu.be/ZlO7FBPrsVU

Your time is over. Cease to exist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

You better shut it old man or I’ll uninstall the drivers for your printer. bet you dont even know what a driver is. I’ll charge you €200 quid to reinstall it and you’ll pay because you boomers are stupid and computer illiterate.

Possibly the worst attempt at a humorous comeback I’ve seen on here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I think he ate too many skittles in the one go. You know how ratty they get on a sugar high. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

O8EPOjs.jpg

Gynoid wrote: »
    I think he ate too many skittles in the one go. You know how ratty they get on a sugar high. ;)

I’m prob of the same generation and born in the same decade as the poster.

And this kinda backs up something that we all knew before this thread- every generation has whingey sh*tes who blame others for their underachieving in life and every generation has people who don’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Blah blah, a load of utter scutter

Ah Christ, I thought this sk8er cretin had disappeared.

But it isnt a joke. Im serious. Boomers need to go away permanently

I’m prob of the same generation and born in the same decade as the poster.

And this kinda backs up something that we all knew before this thread- every generation has whingey sh*tes who blame others for their underachieving in life and every generation has people who don’t.

Every generation has a low IQ boomer who cant fathom banter. What is it about 30+ age group and low social intelligence? I notice this in real life. Its very easy to rile them up, and they lack self awareness and easily brought to anger.

Never gonna make it

Every generation has a low IQ boomer who cant fathom banter. What is it about 30+ age group and low social intelligence? I notice this in real life. Its very easy to rile them up, and they lack self awareness and easily brought to anger.

Never gonna make it

Maybe people just find you, specifically, to be very annoying

00:30 seconds in is the fate of all boomers.

https://youtu.be/ZlO7FBPrsVU

Your time is over. Cease to exist

Would you say that to your parents as well you ungrateful little ****? I’ve changed my opinion on your generation - every last one of ye should have been swallowed or wiped off the ****ing curtains. Instead we are stuck with a whole load of teenage pussies who think they know it all and better than anyone else. Go die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Would you say that to your parents as well you ungrateful little ****? I’ve changed my opinion on your generation - every last one of ye should have been swallowed or wiped off the ****ing curtains. Instead we are stuck with a whole load of teenage pussies who think they know it all and better than anyone else. Go die.

Let it go, Boomer. Jesus.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

But it isnt a joke. Im serious. Boomers need to go away permanently

Actually it is a joke, and the biggest joke of all is you.

Zoomers don't know **** about computers because all they have to do is plug it in or press "OK" in the gui and in the odd scenario it doesn't work anymore get one that does. They are more computer illiterate than most boomers.

Older millennials hit the sweet spot by being young enough to fully adapt to computer technology but old enough to have used it before it hit "for babbies" simplicity.

• Advertisement

Let it go, Boomer. Jesus.

I would let it go Emmett but when I have post natal abortion candidates rising me it’s hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Joey Adams wrote: »
    So basically, older people have been slagging off the younger people, calling us 'whiney entitled millennials' and such like, and now the younger people have their own word to hit back it's 'NOOOOOO YOU CAN'T TAR AN ENTIRE COHORT LIKE THAT, YOU DON'T KNOW OUR STRUGGLES!!!'.
    Well certainly the ones who *haven't* been having a go at millennials. And the ones who haven't done all the terrible things attributed to boomers (i.e. most). And boomer means baby boomer - someone in the U.S born between 1946 and 1964.

So basically, older people have been slagging off the younger people, calling us 'whiney entitled millennials' and such like, and now the younger people have their own word to hit back it's 'NOOOOOO YOU CAN'T TAR AN ENTIRE COHORT LIKE THAT, YOU DON'T KNOW OUR STRUGGLES!!!'.

Well explain yourself then? Your soft sensitivities, your literal snowflake like offense to perceived slights. Your overly PC view of the world....all I see is a generation of fannies but you might try change my mind a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Well explain yourself then? Your soft sensitivities, your literal snowflake like offense to perceived slights. Your overly PC view of the world....all I see is a generation of fannies but you might try change my mind a bit?

You’re the one coming across as the sensitive “snowflake” in here today, H.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

You’re the one coming across as the sensitive “snowflake” in here today, H.

I’m the furthest from a snowflake you will find, but I hate jumped up young ****heads like this fella. A ****ing muppet with an A+ in retardism. His generation are an embarrassment you wish you could wipe a duster over and erase.

Not a snowflake but flys into a murderous rage over a bit intergenerational slagging?

Ok, boomer.

It’s not a murderous rage at all, I just hate you ****ing soft minded young fellas. An embarrassment to the male species is what you are.

I’m the furthest from a snowflake you will find, but I hate jumped up young ****heads like this fella. A ****ing muppet with an A+ in retardism. His generation are an embarrassment you wish you could wipe a duster over and erase.

Jeez mate, take it easy or you’ll give yourself an aneurism

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mobileforest

As others have mentioned, Ireland didn't go to WWII. No returning troops making a baby boom. and no massive growth in prosperity and public institutions as in USA/Canada/etc in the 50/60s (which coincided with the boomers childhood). Therefore, in Ireland no boomers. Likewise, no latchkey kids... aka jaded and ignored gen x, and no boomer echo aka millennials. As someone who only moved here from Canada I can tell you the biggest generation divide I see here is between those raised before the Celtic tiger and those born durning/after. When the crash happened in 2008 it seemed to caused the older people (those now about 40 and up) to go "oh well, that sucks, back to reality" while those younger to think the world is going to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mobileforest

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Boomers are parents of generation X surely (well mostly).

Who's the "they" that caused a global financial crash? Not exactly nuanced!

People who say no boomers had a tough time of it are having a laugh.

No. Parents and children tend to skip a generation which is usually defined by being roughly 20 yrs. Teen pregnancy is a thing but generally most people have kids in their 20s-30s hence there is a generation between them and their kids. Gen X's parents are the silent generation (who are situated between greatest generation and boomers. Think Madmen with Roger and Don from Greatest or GI gen while Pete from the silent gen, Sally Draper a boomer, and Pete and Trudy's baby Tammy possibly just at the start of Gen X).

Interesting thing about the Silent generation is that they have never had a president. GI generation held the reins starting with JFK (and a few older presidents in between) and then passing over the silent gen when Bush lost to Boomer Clinton. With Bernie and Biden, the silent gen are currently having their final chance at the White House.

• Advertisement

No. Parents and children tend to skip a generation which is usually defined by being roughly 20 yrs. Teen pregnancy is a thing but generally most people have kids in their 20s-30s hence there is a generation between them and their kids. Gen X's parents are the silent generation (who are situated between greatest generation and boomers. Think Madmen with Roger and Don from Greatest or GI gen while Pete from the silent gen, Sally Draper a boomer, and Pete and Trudy's baby Tammy possibly just at the start of Gen X).

Interesting thing about the Silent generation is that they have never had a president. GI generation held the reins starting with JFK (and a few older presidents in between) and then passing over the silent gen when Bush lost to Boomer Clinton. With Bernie and Biden, the silent gen are currently having their final chance at the White House.

Every single one of your references is to the US - this is why so many people find this boomer sh*te to be complete nonsense as it means nothing in an Irish context and is just another step on the path for an extremely annoying element of my generation (millenials) who think that they are American, speak with an American accent, talk about candy & soda while having grown up in Tullamore or some other town around Ireland.

It's almost the manifestation of what people are looking to rebel against with the phrase - as it is being used in reaction to some being called snowflake or being called lazy - yet it's a petty and overly sensitive response to something using a lazy and illogical American reference.

The irony is off the scales.

It's like someone telling you that you're lazy and you deciding that staying in bed will show them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Here's a set of definitions from Boomers to Gen Z and the new kids on on the block, the Alphas!

https://mccrindle.com.au/insights/blog/generation-next-meet-gen-z-alphas/

Every single one of your references is to the US - this is why so many people find this boomer sh*te to be complete nonsense as it means nothing in an Irish context and is just another step on the path for an extremely annoying element of my generation (millenials) who think that they are American, speak with an American accent, talk about candy & soda while having grown up in Tullamore or some other town around Ireland.

It's almost the manifestation of what people are looking to rebel against with the phrase - as it is being used in reaction to some being called snowflake or being called lazy - yet it's a petty and overly sensitive response to something using a lazy and illogical American reference.

The irony is off the scales.

It's like someone telling you that you're lazy and you deciding that staying in bed will show them.
    It does relate to us, as boomer adults began to appear from 1964 to about 1980 and Irish people of that vintage would share some traits of their so-called generation. I don't place much stock in it but I do increasingly wonder if Millennials aren't the most messed-up of adults.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It does relate to us, as boomer adults began to appear from 1964 to about 1980 and Irish people of that vintage would share some traits of their so-called generation. I don't place much stock in it but I do increasingly wonder if Millennials aren't the most messed-up of adults.

It in no way related to Ireland

It in no way related to Ireland
    Writing a sentence doesn't make it true! Why is not? What aspects of boomer characteristics make it untrue?

Writing a sentence doesn't make it true! What is not? What aspects of boomer characteristics make it untrue?

There's the actual baby boomers and then there is the boomer meme. The latter is the topic of this thread.

• Advertisement

You don't need to literally be a baby boomer. In this context a 'boomer' is an older person completely cut off from reality, but someone who still feels they have the right to lecture younger people.
    Otherwise known as the generation gap. Time was people just ignored such lectures. I know I happily did as a teen! Never thought to give them labels though!

tuxy wrote: »
    There's the actual baby boomers and then there is the boomer meme. The latter is the topic of this thread.
    I think both are part of the discussion. I've chosen to ignore the dopey meme!

Otherwise known as the generation gap. Time was people just ignored such lectures. I know I happily did as a teen! Never thought to give them labels though!

Yep that's true, a common post on this thread has been millennials having a go at zoomers (gen z). It's happens without fail every generation.
    You have to remember that the vast majority of people here are millennials.

You don't need to literally be a baby boomer. In this context a 'boomer' is an older person completely cut off from reality, but someone who still feels they have the right to lecture younger people.

No in this context it is being used to describe a generation of Americans who experienced not seen before growth & opportunities in their younger years.

For people of the same age in Ireland- their formative years were much worse than ours as Ireland was an economically depressed sh*tehole.

Writing a sentence doesn't make it true! Why is not? What aspects of boomer characteristics make it untrue?

Ireland didn’t have a baby boom.

Ireland in the 60s-90s was closer to the USSR than the US in terms of standard of living.

The people who the phrase is trying to insult are American people of a certain age whose lives will have borne little or no resemblance to those of their Irish counterparts.

All generations have gaps between them- that’s natural but when you see guys on his thread spouting about foreign wars or Walmart and trying to tie it back to Ireland- it’s just phenomenally cringey and lazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

It's yet another American Internet retardism in a long line of American Internet retardisms.

Less and less do we share common ground with that imploding country of imbeciles.

Ireland didn’t have a baby boom.

Ireland in the 60s-90s was closer to the USSR than the US in terms of standard of living.

The people who the phrase is trying to insult are American people of a certain age whose lives will have borne little or no resemblance to those of their Irish counterparts.

All generations have gaps between them- that’s natural but when you see guys on his thread spouting about foreign wars or Walmart and trying to tie it back to Ireland- it’s just phenomenally cringey and lazy
    When it's used ad nauseum here, it reminds me of a kid discovering a rude word or a word they don't know the meaning of but it seems clever and grown up to them, which they keep using over and over.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

As others have mentioned, Ireland didn't go to WWII. No returning troops making a baby boom. and no massive growth in prosperity and public institutions as in USA/Canada/etc in the 50/60s (which coincided with the boomers childhood). Therefore, in Ireland no boomers. Likewise, no latchkey kids... aka jaded and ignored gen x, and no boomer echo aka millennials. As someone who only moved here from Canada I can tell you the biggest generation divide I see here is between those raised before the Celtic tiger and those born durning/after. When the crash happened in 2008 it seemed to caused the older people (those now about 40 and up) to go "oh well, that sucks, back to reality" while those younger to think the world is going to end.

I would agree with nearly all of your post - especially the pre- and post Celtic Tiger generation thing ....but there WERE quite a few latchkey kids growing up in Ireland of the 1980s and 1990s. A good few friends of mine in the 1980s had mothers who went back to education and part or even full-time work when their youngest kids were in their early teens. It wasn’t anywhere near as widespread as the USA or Canada but it did exist and was growing....

My own mum died suddenly when I was 15 and as my older sisters had just moved abroad by that stage and my Dad worked 5 days a week up in Belfast - I lived on my own in the family home, 5 days a week, from the age of 16 until I moved out myself at 24.

When it's used ad nauseum here, it reminds me of a kid discovering a rude word or a word they don't know the meaning of but it seems clever and grown up to them, which they keep using over and over.

It actually is quite funny in an American context as it’s quite a direct put down without having to lower yourself to swearing!

In an Irish context it just makes you sound like a wannabe yank who can’t come up with an original joke yourself so you just jump on some bandwagon that you don’t really understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

The vast majority of actual Boomers don’t even know that Ok Boomer is a term.

The vast majority of actual Boomers don’t even know that Ok Boomer is a term.

And sure if they do or don't... What's supposed to "happen" anyway?

beejee wrote: »
    Well apparently they're devastated en masse about it.

Well apparently they're devastated en masse about it.

Oh no, the real life impact of such a thing!

I swear that the belief the Internet is actual real life is growing.

I could call you fifty names under the sun right now, some complete stranger to another complete stranger, nothing to go off except a few words that could be as easily written by a 80 year old paraplegic Nigerian woman as a 12 year old lobotomised alaskan child... And what would it even mean to you? Or Me?

It's all gas :)

beejee wrote: »

When they finally realise it’s an insult- they are going to launch another ‘for profit’ war to restore their pride.

All the oul lads down your local and most of the GAA coaches you’ve had are going to invade the Isle of Man for some reason as it helps the military industrial complex/something like that.

Walmart is involved somehow, as a previous poster stated, I just haven’t figured out how yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I used to be with it then they changed what it is now I am old

• Advertisement
Advertisement