Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quote for site design

Options
  • 08-11-2019 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Could anyone give me a ballpark figure on what you'd expect to pay to get a standard e-commerce site up and running these days?

Friend of mine is thinking of getting one done up. I know this could be sort of like 'how long is a piece of string' but I believe the intention is a basic site with the ability to take orders for items they sell from home. They've gotten had quotes in the region of €1500

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Agricola wrote: »
    Hi,

Could anyone give me a ballpark figure on what you'd expect to pay to get a standard e-commerce site up and running these days?

Friend of mine is thinking of getting one done up. I know this could be sort of like 'how long is a piece of string' but I believe the intention is a basic site with the ability to take orders for items they sell from home. They've gotten had quotes in the region of €1500

thats very cheap. standard quotes for our corporate work site (which I ended up doing myself) were between €12-20,000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

maccored wrote: »
    thats very cheap. standard quotes for our corporate work site (which I ended up doing myself) were between €12-20,000

Holy moly!
    I was thinking the base line for a small home business site with a catalog system/paypal would be in the region of €2k. Im only basing that on the idea that it's unlikely anyone looking for this would really want to spend much more than that starting out. So it did sound very reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

E-commerce websites have a lot more moving parts than non-ecommerce, with product pages, categories, checkout process, inventory management, payment processing, etc.

If it's an entry level site, I recommend starting with a hosted solution like Shopify to start with, rather than getting a custom site built out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's going to be too expensive for your friend.
    Set up in an established marketplace for now.
    You can even use facebook https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DaveJoyce

Your friends main income plan will be from the website, if they skimp on the price of the website the whole thing will look cheap.

If the website looks cheap, then people maybe unwilling to buy off you. Think of it this way, you go into your local hardware store and the shelves are untidy and the place feels cheap then you aren't going to buy anything

I was working with a customer for the last year on a custom hosted option but in the end it still looked cheap, we have since moved over to BigCommerce. The big advantage to this is that you buy the hosting and a template and change the default values, you have a perfect start to a site.

You should be able to do this yourself and then when some money starts coming in you can hire a developer to add more bells and whistles

Also along with site your friend needs to invest in SEO and Marketing, the most expensive site in the world is still no good if the customer can't find you

Holy moly!
    I was thinking the base line for a small home business site with a catalog system/paypal would be in the region of €2k. Im only basing that on the idea that it's unlikely anyone looking for this would really want to spend much more than that starting out. So it did sound very reasonable to me.

Dave

Turbo Inventory ERP

Helping you sell more, more often

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Thanks all. Good tips. I originally advised setting up a page for the business on Facebook and just handle orders manually for now as it's not as if they're going to be flooded in the early days........ but they just have a thing about FB and would rather a domain name etc etc. I'll suggest something like shopify or bigcommerce instead. Sounds way more sensible than committing to a custom site before you even know if you have a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Thanks all. Good tips. I originally advised setting up a page for the business on Facebook and just handle orders manually for now as it's not as if they're going to be flooded in the early days........ but they just have a thing about FB and would rather a domain name etc etc. I'll suggest something like shopify or bigcommerce instead. Sounds way more sensible than committing to a custom site before you even know if you have a business.

They can always register a domain & point it to their Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Hi,

A lot will depend on what they're selling, how many products etc.,

If it was only one or two products then that is obviously going to be simpler and cheaper than a site handling thousands of products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I would never recommend developing anything that will doing financial transations. The smart move to is to buy an off the shelve package and customize / embed to your needs. The developement costs will be a lot lower but you will have recurring license costs however should be a lot more secure.

Google 'epos ecommerce'

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Hi,

I came across this below a while back and thought it was interesting, it seems to tick alot of DIY your boxes for starting an Online SMB. Not sure about the Pros and Cons.. wortha look maybe.

==>> "Shopify is a complete commerce platform that lets you start, grow, and manage a business. Create and customize an online store. Sell in multiple places, including web, mobile, social media, online marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. Manage products, inventory, payments, and shipping."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭in2dark

I came across this below a while back and thought it was interesting, it seems to tick alot of DIY your boxes for starting an Online SMB. Not sure about the Pros and Cons.. wortha look maybe.

==>> "Shopify is a complete commerce platform that lets you start, grow, and manage a business. Create and customize an online store. Sell in multiple places, including web, mobile, social media, online marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. Manage products, inventory, payments, and shipping."

Personal opinion shopify is just waste of money...

What you need is to invest heavily in online marketing and a solid ecommerce site ready to accomodate orders.

As for the payment you can easily integrate paypal or braintree

As previous poster mentioned most i portant is your customers to be able to find you.

Sorry but im totally against Shopify and FB as web pages.

Surely FB can be utilised for ads but thats another story.

Having your own website you can take advantage of landing pages. Create funnels and generate income by directing your visitors.

All the above is just personal opinion based on self experience.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

in2dark wrote: »

What you need is to invest heavily in online marketing and a solid ecommerce site ready to accomodate orders.

As previous poster mentioned most i portant is your customers to be able to find you.

Having your own website you can take advantage of landing pages. Create funnels and generate income by directing your visitors.

Best of luck

Why is shopify A waste of money.. Be nice to know the cons.

People think nothing of paying thousands a month to rent a physical shop but balk at paying more than a few grand for an ecommerce site. Funny how that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Why is shopify A waste of money.. Be nice to know the cons.

There are some pretty major players using Shopify to run their ecommerce stores, e.g. Carraig Donn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

in2dark wrote: »

Best of luck

Shopify is excellent, speaking from experience. It *is* your own e-commerce website, so I'm not sure what you are getting at here,

Advertisement