Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First car/insurance advice

• 08-11-2019 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice on possible decent first cars up to say around 7 or 8 grand?
    Passed the test the other day so now I'm looking at my options next. My parents have told me that after the new year I could have the car that I learned to drive in, it's a 2009 Ford Focus. This is obviously great but it's a 1.8L dieseal and fairly old at 2009 which is pretty much everything I've been told to stay away from when it gets to first time insurance policies :pac:
    That being said I'm guessing even if the insurance is fairly high it's money that would be spent on a car+insurance if I was to buy a smaller engine newer car. I'm busy all weekend but will be shopping around for insurance next week.

Basically just wondering what people would do in my own situation; take the car and pay more premium insurance or buy a newer smaller engine car? I'm 25 aswell and i genuinely don't mind not taking the free car and sorting myself, kind of feel bad taking the car in a sense :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nobody here can advise you on insurance costs as it's unique to the person being insured. You need to start shopping around for insurance quotes using examples of cars you are interested in. Look up similar cars on the likes of carzone and donedeal, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Take free car, insure it. Likely to scratch your first car so shiny one not required

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Your insurance is going to be expensive no matter what and owning a car is expensive. Take the free Focus, look after it and get it serviced and repaired properly for 2 or 3 years, save up a decent chunk of money and buy something nice. When you have 3 years NCB insurance will be much cheaper and you'll also get a lot more companies to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Keep the 7/8 grand for insurance and running costs of the free Focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

In 99 my ins was 3200 euro equivalent on a micra.

I didn't care , I was free to drive wherever and whenever I wanted. Prices for ins similar still.

Take the free car, enjoy and ina year or so get something you really want with the NBC earned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Your insurance won’t be that expensive. After age 24 it goes down a lot as your no longer considered a young driver. Open driving is also possible after 24. I was paying about €2500 on a 1.9 tdi when I was 19. I was insured with Kenn Co, still am. I had 2 year NCB at that stage tho. I’d say definitely keep the Focus for a year anyway.

I just checked with Axa. 25 year old, 2009 Ford Focus 1.8 tdci, €2000 value, living in Dublin, Full license, = €2,500 fully comp. For a 2013 1.2 Polo its only €400 less. I guarantee you’ll find a quote for half that as Axa are rip offs for people with little experience. Try Kenn Co

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Liberty seem to be consistently the best for new drivers. Also if you add a parent who has a clean license you'll likely save a few hundred. My first quote went from €3,000 to €2,500 by adding my mam onto the policy, she hasn't driven the car once and this is my third year adding her for a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Thanks a mill for all the replies, after playing around with some companies I was getting quotes for about 1600e (Liberty) which I was pleasantly surprised with! After talking to the rents seems like I can get the Focus in around January, seems a no brainer now!!

Advertisement