Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone advise on Static IP address please?

Options
  • 08-11-2019 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭

So we have in the office a EIR router bridging to a Firewall and onto a IP phone system. We had a static IP address but the EIR router went faulty and had to be replaced so I lost the address. EIR are now saying they have a shortage and I have to wait for a new one, its been 3 weeks.
    We were able to set back up dynamically but if the power goes down, the line or the router crashes it will loose connection again.

My question is do I have to wait for EIR to give me one or can I purchase one someone else?

Sorry I'm not too up on this topic.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

The static WAN IP address would be assigned to your account and not a specific router. It's something you pay extra for very month.

Sounds like Eir are talking bollock

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Eir is your ISP. The static they provide enables communication/connection to their backbone.

To get a static IP from someone else would involving changing ISP.

Tell Eir you don't want a new one, you want to know the one you're already assigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭rob316

theteal wrote: »
    Eir is your ISP. The static they provide enables communication/connection to their backbone.

To get a static IP from someone else would involving changing ISP.

Tell Eir you don't want a new one, you want to know the one you're already assigned.

They said the old one went back into the pool when the router went back to them.
    Telling me I'm 11 on the waiting list and they are giving out about 4 or 5 a week currently.

Thanks for the info

rob316 wrote: »
    They said the old one went back into the pool when the router went back to them.
    Telling me I'm 11 on the waiting list and they are giving out about 4 or 5 a week currently.

Thanks for the info

Could you use a dynamic DNS client?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

We had a static IP address
    Did you actually have a static IP address or just a dynamic one that didn't change very often? More importantly, were you paying for a static IP? If not, then there's nothing* you can do other than wait for Eir to set you up with an actual static IP.

*In terms of getting a static IP assigned to your Eir account. There's loads of alternative things you could do depending on why you want it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭rob316

28064212 wrote: »
    Did you actually have a static IP address or just a dynamic one that didn't change very often? More importantly, were you paying for a static IP? If not, then there's nothing* you can do other than wait for Eir to set you up with an actual static IP.

*In terms of getting a static IP assigned to your Eir account. There's loads of alternative things you could do depending on why you want it

Now that you say it I checked my bill and there wasn't any charge for a Static IP. I had a dynamic so that didn't change often? Didn't know that was a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Now that you say it I checked my bill and there wasn't any charge for a Static IP. I had a dynamic so that didn't change often? Didn't know that was a thing
    Pretty common, depends on the ISP setup. Some will change everytime the router loses power, some will only change if the IP has been reassigned while it wasn't active, some will reserve it for a specific amount of time after disconnection. Some will even reset the IPs every night. My IP (residential connection) hasn't changed in more than 3 years

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Eir supply a static IP if asked and given a genuine justification for the requirement.
    There is a once-off charge of €61.50 for set up, but no monthly charge so looking at your bills might not rule it out completely.

I'm extra aware of this because my own static IP from Eir disappeared a week ago and has locked me out of several clients' networks making it necessary to go there to reconfigure when I get another one. It's coincided with a problem with my router, but that hasn't been addressed yet.

The chat line told me they'd sell me an IP for €61.50, but when I told them I'd already paid and it had been working for year and a half they clammed up and said I had to ring 1901 about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you sure you dont just need a local static, AKA a DHCP reservation? That would be device dependent not service dependent so would crop up when a router failed.

Advertisement