Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best location to stay in New York

• 08-11-2019 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

First time going to New York.

Whats the best area to stay for sightseeing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

anywhere basically close to a subway.

New York is an incredibly easy city to get around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I’d recommend Long Island City. Cheaper accommodation than Manhattan but only one or two subway stops from Times Square

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

We normally stay in Queens somewhere along Queens Bvld( have family there out there) you gen get the 7 train straight into Grand Central or Times Square, very easy to connect with the rest of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I stayed in Midtown - Doubletree Hilton Times Square West
    It was straight facing the Port Authority so super handy for transport - got the airtrain and subway from JFK straight to Port Authority, 2 minutes around the corner to the hotel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Fitzpatricks Grand Central is an Irish run hotel in a great location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If it's your first time, I'd recommend staying in Manhattan for sure.
    Either smack bang central or somewhere like Soho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭crisco10

we stayed in Hells Kitchen in an Air Bnb (before it was overly regulated!); within walking distance of Central park and Times square, slightly longer walk to everywhere else.

Bring runners, NYC is walkable everywhere and nicest way to see the city (weather permitting)

For me, I avoid Times Square area, too busy and loud. There are some fantastic reasonable hotels in many parts of the city.

Personally, I avoid Fitzpatricks but that is a personal choice. Many people like it, I do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I wouldn't mess around with staying anywhere other than Manhattan. Might be cheaper but also hamstrings you to getting the subway or Uber/Lyft. Fitzpatrick's is a great choice, I have also stayed in Hilton Midtown, pricey but location can't be beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Banzai600

stay away from tourist locations although the whole place is. Avoid Tim@s Squ@re, way too busy. If you going to any tourist spots go early.

subway is great, buy daily / weekly tickets.

My area to stay would be Hells kitchen , around 9th & 47th is a good location imo. Plenty of apartment options online with vrbo & airbnb, unless you wan a hotel , ive stayed in the Excelsior on the West side - worth looking at.

Boston is a better city imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Most people want to stay in Manhattan which is understandable. However i think the earlier recommendation for Long Island City is a good one if you fancy a reasonable hotel for a few bucks less. Give it another 5 years and it'll be same price as manhattan. One stop on subway, a stroll across the 60th st bridge or, my personal fav, the ferry ride from hunters point across to wall st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Air BnB in Manhattan. Soho or Greenwich Village for me. Somewhere around Washington Square Park. Avoid Times Square. Its a horrible kip.

Williamsburg in Brooklyn (Hipsterville) also an option and its only a few minutes from the Village on the L train.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

We stayed in hotel Edison just off times Square was good location, near a number of subway stations, hell's kitchen and very close to numerous thretres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When I can I stay in Park Lane Hotel, across the road from Central Park and walking distance to most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pmcb

Stayed at the Skyline Hotel for 4 nights in 2017, 49th and 11th I think. 10 mins from Times Sq. Location is good. Highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

I know people have mentioned Long Island City, but there is literally nothing out there to do. It’s an area that’s full of old warehouses that are slowly being converted to apartments and office blocks. You’ll just spend your whole time on the subway as you can’t just go for a stroll and see where it takes you.

I would also not recommend anywhere in midtown. It’s just not nice and full of tourists traps. Time Square is a hole and so are the surrounding areas. In my opinion it's like recommending people to stay beside the iliac centre.

If you can get a hotel that works for you, I would try and stay below 14th street. It doesn’t matter where. This is where people live in Manhattan. Plenty of local bars and restaurants so plenty of things to do in the evening. It’s also a really interesting place to walk around. I would recommend waking the full length of Bleecker. Plus you can get anywhere in the city in less than 30 minutes on the subway.

Make sure you check out hotels in the financial district. They are normally good deals at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

I know people have mentioned Long Island City, but there is literally nothing out there to do. It’s an area that’s full of old warehouses that are slowly being converted to apartments and office blocks. You’ll just spend your whole time on the subway as you can’t just go for a stroll and see where it takes you.

I would also not recommend anywhere in midtown. It’s just not nice and full of tourists traps. Time Square is a hole and so are the surrounding areas. In my opinion it's like recommending people to stay beside the iliac centre.

If you can get a hotel that works for you, I would try and stay below 14th street. It doesn’t matter where. This is where people live in Manhattan. Plenty of local bars and restaurants so plenty of things to do in the evening. It’s also a really interesting place to walk around. I would recommend waking the full length of Bleecker. Plus you can get anywhere in the city in less than 30 minutes on the subway.

Make sure you check out hotels in the financial district. They are normally good deals at weekends.

Stsyed in Hampton Inn in Financial District for exactly the above ... stroll out front door and lots to see on a walkaround...near S Sea Seaport, Brooklyn Bridge, Wall St, WTC, Chinatown, Little Italy....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I agree about Times Square area but I wouldn't rule out midtown especially if its your first time.

What are peoples thoughts on the Chelsea area of NY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭whippet

If its your first time - wander up to times square for a look and then never go back - an awful place.

I prefer staying downtown / SOHO area ... much nicer and some of the bars, cafes etc are just way nicer and you don't get that premium NY price on a beer that you do in midtown.

the last time I was there I stayed in the Broome

The Broome NYC

its not cheap but really nice, quite and perfectly located.

I am looking at going over in the winter again and will probably look at staying in Brooklyn as the kids will be with us and an AirBnB might suit better than expensive small hotel rooms !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

py2006 wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on the Chelsea area of NY?

Nice area, the market is nice for a morning coffee and a stroll. Fairly residential though and pricey for hotels. You'll end up in the Village at night anyway.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Nice area, the market is nice for a morning coffee and a stroll. Fairly residential though and pricey for hotels. You'll end up in the Village at night anyway.

Booked the Cambria on 28th for end of Feb. I normally stay in Murray Hill area so looking forward to seeing things from the West side and checking out some nice cafes and bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    We stayed in hotel Edison just off times Square was good location, near a number of subway stations, hell's kitchen and very close to numerous thretres

Just wondering what this hotel is like ?
    Is there resort fees to pay ?
    What’s best way to get there from JFK?
    My folks are going there next week

There is a bus that drops you to your hotel from JFK. failing that there is always the train back into JFK or simply a taxi.

Personally, I always take a taxi as its easier and not too expensive (JFK and LGA have definite fare structures from the airport)

If the folks are going to a particular hotel, it is always best to give the street and cross street location rather than the address.

Just wondering what this hotel is like ?
    Is there resort fees to pay ?
    What’s best way to get there from JFK?
    My folks are going there next week
    Guests at this hotel may be required to pay the following mandatory fees:
    Resort fee: $28.68 per room, per night
    The resort fee includes:
    Fitness center access
    Business center/computer access
    Internet access
    Newspaper
    Phone calls
    In-room bottled water

See resortfeechecker.com

Also, if you book via booking.com they now include any hidden resort fees in their pricing.

Advertisement